• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Daiquiri

Danne

Thanks for spreading the Good News, Rafa.

I have been known to go door to door, dressed dourly in pressed slats and black tie, with a shaker in hand and a leather-bound Savoy tucked under an arm, ringing door bells and spreading the good word...

Surely someone is making straight-up Daiquiris tonight. Ratios? Rum? I'll be shaking a 2:1:1 in a bit....

I ended up enjoying a straight Daiquiri with 1 oz Barbancourt 8 yr | 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew White Overproof | 3/4 oz lime juice | 1 teaspoon sugar. Tart, dry, refreshing, deep, funky, delicious.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I believe 1:1 simple usually ends up having about 1.5x the volume of the sugar that goes into it (e.g., one cup each of sugar and water will yield ~1.5 cups of syrup), so about half a tablespoon.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

my favorite way to make daiquiris is to use a gram measure of sugar per ounce of lime juice. my daiquiris looks like this:

2 oz. rum

1 oz. lime

8 grams of sugar

I just put the first two ingredients on the kitchen scale and zero. for the next drink you stay with 8 or go to 7 or 9 or any fraction in between.

or you can take your favorite spoonful and see what it weights in grams.

when you are drunk but still making drinks I find using grams to be easier.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I have been known to go door to door, dressed dourly in pressed slats and black tie, with a shaker in hand and a leather-bound Savoy tucked under an arm, ringing door bells and spreading the good word...

... proclaiming the Holy Spirit.

Good at jokes, me. :unsure:

• Like 1

... proclaiming the Holy Spirit.

Good at jokes, me. :unsure:

Well, I laughed.

I also misspelled "slacks," though, so adjust the value of my laughter accordingly.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 2 weeks later...

1 1/2 oz Creole Shrubb

1 oz Cynar

3/4 lime juice

Not sure if it counts as a(n orange) Daiquiri, but this was fun.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

It's got rum and lime and sugar and, uh, other things!

Alright it ain't no daiquiri. Don't mean I'm not gonna call it the Daq l'Orange.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I am also in Daiquiri mode. Last night I tried the Oh Gosh from Tony Conigliaro’s Cocktail Lab with aged white rum, triple sec, lime juice, simple syrup. It's an orange-flavored Daiquiri, a bit similar to the Daiquiri No. 2. The cocktail is well balanced but I struggled a bit with the large amount of triple sec. I still prefer a classic Daiquiri. In any case, it went down very easily.

9453426063_3ebe1c515e_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hemingway

Ratios!

Had a Honeysuckle (honey Daiquiri) with Banks 5 Island and black sage honey and a drop of orange flower water. Delicious, fruity, a little savory.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Hemingway

Ratios!

Had a Honeysuckle (honey Daiquiri) with Banks 5 Island and black sage honey and a drop of orange flower water. Delicious, fruity, a little savory.

Um, I think you forgot to give us your ratios there, Rafa...

Do you have to melt the honey?

Hemingway Daiquiri

2oz Havana Club 3

1/4oz Luxardo maraschino

3/4oz lime juice

3/4oz grapefruit juice

1/2oz simple

Look, I don't like it when people realise I'm controlling them from inside their head. Muahahahahaha.

Does Cocktail Lab use Merlet? It's drier than Cointreau - maybe that's why you found there was too much triple sec with the original ratios.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Wow it's way more serious than what I thought then! I need to call an exorcist asap.

Regarding the recipe, it just calls for "triple sec". There is no recommendation for a specific brand in the book as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Hemingway

Ratios!

Um, I think you forgot to give us your ratios there, Rafa...

Do you have to melt the honey?

Hemingway Daiquiri

2oz Havana Club 3

1/4oz Luxardo maraschino

3/4oz lime juice

3/4oz grapefruit juice

1/2oz simple

Ha. Fair enough...

2 oz Banks 5 Island

3/4 oz black sage honey syrup (1:1)

3/4 oz lime juice

1 dr orange flower water

I normally prefer drier Daiquiris, but I like how the sage honey and the Banks interact, and the honey donates a drying black pepper finish. Good stuff. Great with tequila as well.

Yesterday I made a La Favorite Daiquiri with a barspoon of cane syrup. Coconut, lime, and fresh cane. Will drink again.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Barbancourt 5 star, Cynar, lime. Daiquiri? Sure. Nice.

I'm trying to winnow down my rums. Finishing the Barbancourt was easy. Getting rid of all those dark rums is going to be harder. I'm pretty sure I can live with a dry white rum and Smith & Cross.

I wonder if Meletti goes with dark rum....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I'm trying to winnow down my rums. Finishing the Barbancourt was easy. Getting rid of all those dark rums is going to be harder. I'm pretty sure I can live with a dry white rum and Smith & Cross.

Just two rums? I am not sure how anyone could live like this...

Rums are by far the most represented category in my home bar, but as I remember you are not exactly a tiki fan, so maybe that explains your drastic decision! :smile:

Rums are by far the most represented category in my home bar, but as I remember you are not exactly a tiki fan, so maybe that explains your drastic decision! :smile:

My rum collection surged past 20 well before I started making tiki drinks, Princesse. It's just such a diverse category.

My rum collection surged past 20 well before I started making tiki drinks, Princesse. It's just such a diverse category.

I am with you. There are plenty of excellent rum-based drinks that are not tiki. Plus rum is relatively cheap so I struggle to make sense of EvergreenDan's decision.

Maybe he is looking at expanding his gin collection?

The rum-depleted brain is prone to rash thinking.

• Like 1