• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Daiquiri

Danne

2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Lemon

It's just like a Daiquiri, except that it's bitter, funky, lemony and nothing like a Daiquiri. But it's damn delicious.

This will happen.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Sorry Fred, but the sexy beast kicks your Daiquiri off the Navy Dock. I much prefer the Cynar base ratio, and I think lemon works. The Smith & Cross adds just the right undertone. Plus, the sexy beast has a reasonably amount of alcohol. Cynar is only 16.5% ABV.

Now for a name.... Hmmmm.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Sorry Fred, but the sexy beast kicks your Daiquiri off the Navy Dock. I much prefer the Cynar base ratio, and I think lemon works. The Smith & Cross adds just the right undertone. Plus, the sexy beast has a reasonably amount of alcohol. Cynar is only 16.5% ABV.

Now for a name.... Hmmmm.

You could call it a 'Choked Up'.

Inner Circle Green, perhaps. I do have some casually loitering around, I think, but half way through a bottle of Durif I don't feel it's an appropriate time for such a Cynartastic drink.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Has anyone tried a Daiquiri with the Cana Brava rum yet? I tried it straight for the first time at Death and Co. the other night, I was impressed with agricole-like flavors, but curious to hear if anyone has mixed with it yet. It seems to be a good value, a liter for under $30.

Haven't had it in a daiquiri yet but tried it as part of a tiki class at Holeman & Finch pub this past weekend. Had it in a Planters Punch as well as neat. As I recall it was a molasses based Panamanian rum bottled in the States (California perhaps?). A 3 yo filtered slightly off white rum, it seemed serviceable as a mixer but not one I would count on to carry the show by itself. Didn't seem at all like an agricole (We were "studying" JM rhum as well) but then I didn't really expect it to be.

Don't recall thinking it was that much different or better than Flor de Caña 4yo but I didn't have that available to compare side by side. Probably costs more though hard to say for sure since it is a liter.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

The Cloak and Dagger, a Daiquiri with a mix of rums. The recipe in the Bartender's Choice app called for Gosling + aged rum. I went with Coruba dark Jamaican rum and Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry rum. Simple but to the point.

9132140206_4d8b4becd8_z.jpg

Haven't had it in a daiquiri yet but tried it as part of a tiki class at Holeman & Finch pub this past weekend. Had it in a Planters Punch as well as neat. As I recall it was a molasses based Panamanian rum bottled in the States (California perhaps?). A 3 yo filtered slightly off white rum, it seemed serviceable as a mixer but not one I would count on to carry the show by itself. Didn't seem at all like an agricole (We were "studying" JM rhum as well) but then I didn't really expect it to be.

Don't recall thinking it was that much different or better than Flor de Caña 4yo but I didn't have that available to compare side by side. Probably costs more though hard to say for sure since it is a liter.

The grassiness of it spurred my agricole comment, but it certainly did not have the accompanying richness and funkiness a JM or La Favorite would have. After doing some reading it looks like the point is to simulate pre-Castro Bacardi, and it does have a taste in the same neighborhood of something like Havana Club white. To me it tasted significantly more flavorful than my memory of FdC 4, but a side-to-side would be good. I was happy with it though, I think between the Cana Brava and Banks 5 Islands I could easily cover all my white rum needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Was lucky enough to try a Hemingway Daiquiri at the Dylan Hotel in Dublin last week. Made with Havana Club, fresh pressed grapefruit juice and the Gabriel Boudier Marasquin liqueur, it was absolutely gorgeous. With Cuban rum. The way God and Papa Hemingway intended. Spectacular!1044077_10151774519842013_1348242065_n.j

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you in the US, it's national Daiquiri day. (For those of you not in the US, enjoy a Daiquiri today anyway.) I'll be celebrating by grabbing a Denizen Daiquiri at Astor Wines this afternoon and then heading home to learn whether a Hemingway with soda and mint is something worth drinking.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Didn't realize it was Daiquiri Day when I put this together just now...

1 1/4 oz Havana Club Blanco

3/4 oz Inner Circle Red Dot

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/4 oz Simple

1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

1/4 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin

1 dropper Bittercube Jamaican Bitters #2

This is based on a modified Gimlet recipe that Troy Sidle made for us quite frequently. It turned out very nice.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Daiquiri no. 3 yesterday afternoon, the Constante Ribalaigua non-Hemingway version (has sugar in addition to Maraschino)

2 oz Palo Viejo blanco

1 oz lime

1/2 oz 1:1 white sugar simple

1/4 oz grapefruit

1/4 oz Luxardo

Shaken with ice cubes, and strained over crushed ice. Like liquid nitrogen on a hot day!