• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to obtain a mangosteen puree?

nduran

I like mangosteens a lot. I also like adding a bit of tamarind and palm sugar to some mangosteen puree and making everything from sorbet to pie filling out of it. The one thing I do not like is pureeing mangosteens.

If I throw them in the food processor, then the seeds get hacked up along with the fruit and lend a mildly bitter flavor to the entire thing. My luck with food mills hasn't been much better, though I've never tried one of the really expensive ones. What I end up doing is dumping a few fruits into a little wire mesh basket (whose actual intended purpose is draining oil off of deep fried foods) and grinding them against the metal with my hands until most of the meat has been scraped from the seed. Needless to say, this takes a very long time to produce a usable quantity of puree, and isn't too gentle on the hands, either.

This just seems like one of those "THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY" sort of situations, but I'll be danged if I can think of one that wouldn't involve a centrifuge. Anybody else have any tips or suggestions?

The mangosteen is one of the only fruits we eat before it fully ripens, as it begins to ripen the seeds start to form in the larger segments. Normally the smaller segments to not contain seeds. You could make the puree with the smaller ones and with the larger segments cut the flesh away from the seeds. In India I believe the seeds are roasted and eaten.

"Only the tougne tells the truth..."-F.A.

revallo@gmail.com

You could just buy the pre-made puree?

If such a thing were readily available for a reasonable amount of money, I most certainly would buy it. As it stands I've never seen such a thing for sale, and given the price mangosteen juice fetches, I have a feeling it wouldn't come anywhere near the $1.50 I pay per can of whole fruit.

Cutting just isn't an option as the seeds are incredibly soft. I have never been able to successfully excise one without including a good sized chunk of the seed in the fruit as even the dullest knife will hack right through it with the slightest pressure.

I believe Goya (or similar brand) makes it check at a Latin, Caribbean or Asian market in the frozen food section if they dont ..just ask that they order it for you ..I have seen it ...take a picture of the fruit if they are not sure what you are talking about...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I believe Goya (or similar brand) makes it check at a Latin, Caribbean or Asian market in the frozen food section if they dont ..just ask that they order it for you ..I have seen it ...take a picture of the fruit if they are not sure what you are talking about...

The mangosteen is an Asian fruit. Goya (unfortunately) does not have any mangosteen products. Some is being grown in Puerto Rico for export, to get around the USDA ban on importation from the Orient and Hawaii. It has also been grown in other Caribbean countries sporadically, but it has not become part of the diet there at all. Most people in the Caribbean have not heard about it, unless they have had it in the Orient (like me).

I only wish we had them here in the US. I am lucky enough to have had mangosteens (a long time ago). One of the best-tasting things I have ever had.

If you google "frozen mangosteen puree" a bunch of manufacturers come up, most of which (at a quick glance) seem to be located in Thailand. Perhaps check with your local Thai grocery?

If you google "frozen mangosteen puree" a bunch of manufacturers come up, most of which (at a quick glance) seem to be located in Thailand. Perhaps check with your local Thai grocery?

All I see are 5 liter drums of the stuff from one company. Even if any of the local markets had that kind of freezer space to spare, I most certainly do not. I'm really more interested in learning how it's produced mechanically.

I've never tried to make a mangosteen puree, but I love, love, love my Cuisinart Power Strainer for pureeing (and straining) raspberries.

1. They don't make them anymore, so you need to watch eBay et al.

2. In addition to a basic Cuisinart food processor, the strainer requires a Cuisinart Power Juicer attachment (also out of production).

I think I paid $25 for the juicer and (I'm afraid!) I paid close to $80 for the strainer, but I'm still happy I did.

Good luck!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I've never tried to make a mangosteen puree, but I love, love, love my Cuisinart Power Strainer for pureeing (and straining) raspberries.

1.  They don't make them anymore, so you need to watch eBay et al.

2.  In addition to a basic Cuisinart food processor, the strainer requires a Cuisinart Power Juicer attachment (also out of production).

I think I paid $25 for the juicer and (I'm afraid!) I paid close to $80 for the strainer, but I'm still happy I did.

Good luck!

I don't think you can do that for mangosteens. The seeds can get really big.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Many types of canned mangosteens you can get at asian markets are peeled and seeded (I have a couple on my shelf now).

For purees where I want fruit pulp texture I use a commercial style high speed blender.

When I want to make a clarified type of fruit water, I use a less powerful blender and let the pulp settle and then take off the liquid layer.