• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

komado cooker

coastie

Does anyone have an old one, also known as a green egg cooker. Got one a yard sale. A pilot brought one back from Japan to Alaska for each of his stewardesses in the late 60's. Anyone cook in theirs regularly? Any ideas for a substitute for my lid or something to repair my lid, its split into three pieces. I'm guessing something the right size inverted.... but my cooker is all clay and I worry about expanding too quickly. She said to be careful..... what do you use for fuel??

I have a komado pot that was brought to my grandmother by a merchant marine friend. This was sometime in the late 50's.

We use ours pretty regularly - a dozen times a year or so, primarily for roasting or semi-smoking. We use charcoal (it doesn't take very much) and open the lid minimally or not at all. The ceramic cooker retains heat very well and you don't want to lose it once you've got it all heated through.

I have no ideas on how to replace the lid. I doubt you'll get the even heat retention with a broken one. Maybe you could call a local retailer of the Big Green Egg and see what they recommend.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Can't hurt to try!

We use regular charcoal because it burns slower. We use the Minion Method for the charcoal. Of course we add some soaked hardwood for flavor. But we're not really using ours as a smoker. It's too hard to add more coals to the Komado. You really don't want to open the lid once it's going.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I have a Big Green Egg, and just love it, using it often. As previously posted, they have a very active forum at http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml. They also have very good customer service. I'm sure that if you contacted them through the web site, they'd try to help you out.