• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best deal on vanilla extract

Fat Guy

I'm looking to buy a liter or so of vanilla extract. It doesn't have to be the super-premium stuff, but it has to be real vanilla extract without all sorts of other garbage in it.

Any ideas on the best source for such a thing? I've already done all the Googling, so what I'm really asking for is personal knowledge. I'm assuming mail-order is the way to go, though if there's a place in New York City with great prices that works for me too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not exactly answering the question, as I expect you need the extract promptly, but have you considered making your own extract, with a cheap liter of vodka and 10 or so vanilla beans? I've recently been enlightened to the purchase of vanilla beans in bulk on ebay: you get easily get 1/4 pound of Grade B Madagascar beans for under $10. Your end product won't have anything you don't put into it. Only problem is it'll take a good long while to make...

-al

---

al wang

I second the making of your own. Except, I wouldnt use cheap vodka. It's too harsh. I tried making extract with smirnoff and then Grey Goose and the Grey Goose was a lot nicer. I also like making extract with bourban.

My boss buys this amazing vanilla, its the most fragrant extract I've ever come across, its not a brand name I've ever seen in the store( she gets it wholesale), I'll report back with the name, its very expensive though. She pays 75 (CAN)bucks for a litre.

I prepare 5 or 6 small canning jars of extract at a time. They're usually ready in 3-6 months.

I ditto Costo's or Sam's Club, but I haven't seen it under nine bucks in a while. It was twice that a few years ago from bad weather in Madagascar or something. Maybe the price has dropped some more since my last purchase.

If there's a choice of two brands, check the ingredients label of course.

Once I make the vanilla extract, how long do I have to use it? What's the shelf life? Given the cost of vanilla and the rate at which I go through it, I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own, but I'm already cringing at the thought of pouring any of it down the drain.

And, while we're on the subject, is there any down side to just leaving the beans in the concoction indefinitely? I'm pretty sure that the double-strength extract I buy from Penzeys comes with a bean in the bottle--so they're obviously leaving the bean in place.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Maybe it's even possible to leave the beans in and top it up a couple of times -- you might be able, over time, to get a couple of liters out of a good bunch of beans. I can't imagine there's a perishability problem. The alcohol should act as a preservative indefinitely. Maybe loss of some flavor over time, but I imagine that would be a long time. Commercial vanilla extract seems to last for years on the shelf with no problems.

I think I might try this.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Once I make the vanilla extract, how long do I have to use it?  What's the shelf life?  Given the cost of vanilla and the rate at which I go through it, I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own, but I'm already cringing at the thought of pouring any of it down the drain.

And, while we're on the subject, is there any down side to just leaving the beans in the concoction indefinitely?  I'm pretty sure that the double-strength extract I buy from Penzeys comes with a bean in the bottle--so they're obviously leaving the bean in place.

I try to have two one pint mason jars going at any one time. When one gets half empty I top it off with more high proof alcohol and rotate it to the back of the cabinet. About once a year I may change the beans out, depending upon what condition it is in, and try to sterilize a new jar and move it over. I can't say for sure, but I think I have a couple of vanilla beans floating around that are probably a couple of years old. I also usually cut the vanilla measure in half depending upon the recipe. Do the same for a quart mason jar I have started with vanilla sugar.

I honestly don't know if it is good indefinitely, but the vanilla beans will fall apart once they are good and solidly drunk!

If you want it nice for winter holiday baking, you should start in the next couple of months. For this summer's ice cream, I would start it now.

My sister uses Crown, but I usually stick with vodka.

Okay, I've got some beans coming in the mail. I'll report on progress.

Now I just need a small bottle of vanilla to get through the next couple of months.

FG, why don't you use your restaurant connections to have them buy you bulk? You can also get decent prices from Dairyland (Chefswarehouse.com).

Making your own is also a great idea (as it looks like that's what you're doing). I've used Stroh Rum which has a distinct flavor on its own (learned about this stuff from Chris B.)...add vanilla beans and it is pretty amazing for certain applications.

We make our own in a big mason jar, but haven't done it in a while, so I ran out and ended up buying extract from Trader Joe's. I don't really recommend their brand -- it has something in it that thickens it slightly, and just isn't as nice as the home brew. I don't remember our extract taking 3 months to get nice and dark, but it does of course improve over time. For the first week or so, we'd take the jar out of the pantry and shake it up to hasten the whole process, and then when it was deemed strong enough, we'd just start using it, leaving the split vanilla beans in there. The beans are obviously leached of their vanilla over time, so when you need to add more vodka, you should also add some more beans and steep the beans until dark again. I personally like using vodka rather than a darker booze because it's easy to tell when it's ready.

The beans have arrived, from Vanilla Products USA. I now have TWO POUNDS of "Extract Grade B Tahitian Vanilla Beans." I've never seen so many vanilla beans in one place.

Now what the heck do I do?

The beans have arrived, from Vanilla Products USA. I now have TWO POUNDS of "Extract Grade B Tahitian Vanilla Beans." I've never seen so many vanilla beans in one place.

Now what the heck do I do?

Let me know what you think of the beans. I was looking at purchasing from the same seller, primarily due to their reasonable shipping costs to Canada.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I hate to admit that I learned something useful from Martha Stewart, but I started making vanilla extract after she showed me how on her FoodTV program (pre-prison). She just said to add a couple of beans to good vodka and wait 6 months (agitating occasionally). Well my first batch with just two was a disappointment as an extract (weak, bad color), but it was great in cocktails. Anyway, now I still use good vodka, but I add a lot more beans. The extract is suitable for baking, but it really shines as a cocktail ingredient.

As far as decently priced vanilla extract, I go to Trader Joe's or Costco. I wish TJ still sold Massey-Nielsen. They now carry two or three different flavors along with some vanilla paste and other vanilla products and they are not all so good. There is one that I like, but I have to sniff at it to know which one that is. Costco's is pretty good... and sort of cheap.

I think I'd use about 5 beans, split, per pint of liquor, sealed up in a clear mason jar so that you can easily see what's going on. Shake the jar once daily for about a week until it is dark in color, and then put it away to continue to steep on its own. It should be ready to try in a in a few more weeks. It may not achieve the right concentration for 6 or 8 weeks. For the alcohol, I've never used anything except vodka, but if you have beans to spare, it might be interesting to have two test jars going instead: one using vodka and one using bourbon, and see which you prefer.