• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken fingers that don't suck

Fat Guy

Just now, BooBear said:

I actually came across that same one, but there aren't McCormick's Italian Herb Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Mix and onion soup base here where I am right now.

amazon?

13 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I've never gotten any food related products from amazon. I don't trust the freshness.

I donlt think that is a concern with dried spice mixes and certainy not the onion souo base. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I've never gotten any food related products from amazon. I don't trust the freshness.

I agree with @heidih.  I wouldn’t think freshness would be a big issue with dried seasoning packets - those herbs and spices were at their best before being packaged and any recipe calling for them assumes that.  If you receive packets long past their 'best by' dates, go ahead and return them.  Otherwise, see if they match your fast food memories!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I agree with @heidih.  I wouldn’t think freshness would be a big issue with dried seasoning packets - those herbs and spices were at their best before being packaged and any recipe calling for them assumes that.  If you receive packets long past their 'best by' dates, go ahead and return them.  Otherwise, see if they match your fast food memories!

Instead of popeyes, I've been looking at the cook's country Puritan Backroom–Style Sweet-and-Sour Sauce. I found the ingredients list here https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/2404-9-famous-restaurant-dishes-you-can-make-at-home . I'm just wondering if I found the complete list? And I don't have access to the duck sauce.

42 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Instead of popeyes, I've been looking at the cook's country Puritan Backroom–Style Sweet-and-Sour Sauce. I found the ingredients list here https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/2404-9-famous-restaurant-dishes-you-can-make-at-home . I'm just wondering if I found the complete list? And I don't have access to the duck sauce.

It is a bit difficult for me to accommodate your style of meandering around topics.

Now, is this the dish you want to recreate ? Ask for this, specifically. Then make an effort. No excuses as in „I am concerned about the shelf life“ (send it back) or questioning „is this the complete list“ (it‘s a copycat - tweak it if it doesn’t deliver).  

I read frequently you aren’t able to source stuff - I can relate, being in Germany and participating in a US/CAN/AUS dominated forum. But if you make an effort you‘ll find solutions. Maybe start asking concrete questions: I am in Iceland and have only access to fermented shark and ice bear urine - how do I make Peking Duck with these ? Chances are high someone will come up with an idea.

If you ask generic questions like - well, this one - chances are high you don’t get a satisfying answer. Because noone knows what you are after. And even more so, you are potentially exhausting the patience of a very helpful crowd*.

Sorry to be blunt - just trying to get you to get what you are actually looking for …

—-

* this is of course a personal statement. Many - if not all - members have far more patience than me. Thus I am the one indicating what might lie ahead in the answers of „What is the best …“

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

It is a bit difficult for me to accommodate your style of meandering around topics.

Now, is this the dish you want to recreate ? Ask for this, specifically. Then make an effort. No excuses as in „I am concerned about the shelf life“ (send it back) or questioning „is this the complete list“ (it‘s a copycat - tweak it if it doesn’t deliver).  

I read frequently you aren’t able to source stuff - I can relate, being in Germany and participating in a US/CAN/AUS dominated forum. But if you make an effort you‘ll find solutions. Maybe start asking concrete questions: I am in Iceland and have only access to fermented shark and ice bear urine - how do I make Peking Duck with these ? Chances are high someone will come up with an idea.

If you ask generic questions like - well, this one - chances are high you don’t get a satisfying answer. Because noone knows what you are after. And even more so, you are potentially exhausting the patience of a very helpful crowd*.

Sorry to be blunt - just trying to get you to get what you are actually looking for …

—-

* this is of course a personal statement. Many - if not all - members have far more patience than me. Thus I am the one indicating what might lie ahead in the answers of „What is the best …“

Well put.  I don't follow @BooBear's posts (other than I receive the initial post)  anymore as for me, the questions are not focused enough.   Lest anyone think I am being rude, that is not the case.  I can't respond to something that is not a question.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got an inadvertent bag of pre-breaded, par cooked chicken tenders t’other day when Instacart subbed them for grandson’s chicken nuggets. Seems a tender cut into three or four pieces will not sub worth a flip for a similar number of chicken nuggets (who knew?). So I’m gradually using the rest of the bag in different meals. Perhaps the most successful was quasi chicken parm, with tenders and fresh mozzarella doused in marinara sauce, dusted heavily with parmigiana, and briefly baked. Have also done chicken and biscuit with gravy, and cut some up after air frying to go on chicken salad.

about to finally get through them. Won’t try them again.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Isn't a chicken tender the breast part called.the tenderloin which has a white tendon running through it? I think Julia Child called them supremes

and I made her recipe where they were poached in clarified butter.  It was the best chicken tender I ever ate and did not involve breading or soup mixs or dried spice blends or frying. The only hard part was getting the tendon out without mangling the tender.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

23 minutes ago, Arey said:

Isn't a chicken tender the breast iart called.the tenderloin which has a white tendon running through it? I think Julia Child called them supremes

and I made her recipe where they were poached in clarified butter.  It was the best chicken tender I ever ate and did not involve breading or soup mixs or dried spice blends or frying. The only hard part was getting the tendon out without mangling the tender.

Yes - on flip side so to speak of breast. Have to get the knife edge/side firmly and then side or pull. Not as sweet as the oyster but for  white meat - not bad. I think a lot of chicken fingers mass market sold are just sliced breast and not true tenders so the non culinary term "fingers" gets them undr the misleaing wire. But those frozen pre-breaded things on every kid's menu at chain restaurants - probably just breast?Masking sauce required for moisture & flavor.

• Like 1