• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nougatine vs The Modern vs Bar Room at Modern

richardv

I've been invited to dinner at my choice of Jean George's Nougatine, or The Dining Room at The Modern, or The Bar Room at The Modern (three places my host from out of town wants to go) and she's left the choice to me.

I'd appreciate a comparison of the restaurants and the food there, and opinions, with many thanks in advance. I don't know the reasoning behind this, though I know that the price of one vs the others is not a consideration, just the food. We'll be attending a concert at Carnegie Hall afterwards, but we can have plenty of time for dinner.

Thanks for your help.

Nougatine and The Bar Room are similar experience, though the latter has more of a small plates feel. The Modern is a true fine dining restaurant in every sense of the word. It's also significantly more expensive. If you've been invited, I'd choose The Modern, otherwise for a more casual vibe The Bar Room.

I'm with BryanZ on this...go with either room at The Modern.

Nougatine is fine, but I've never had a great experience there. On my last trip, a waiter dumped a glass of water on me in passing and didn't apologize. The food wasn't stunning, either. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I wouldn't even consider Nougatine. It's just not that good. The main dining room at Jean Georges is one of the country's best restaurants, but Nougatine isn't a leader in any category.

As between the Bar Room and the main dining room at the Modern, it sort of depends on personal preference. There are plenty of people, including the New York Times dining critic, who like the Bar Room better than the main dining room at the Modern. Certainly, the Bar Room is a better value. It's a quicker, more casual meal. And the Bar Room food is incredibly flavorful and interesting. But I'd definitely choose the main dining room at the Modern. If you (and your host) like fine dining, and you favor really elegant, subtle, artful cuisine, the main dining room at the Modern is a great choice.

Also, the Bar Room has, I think, been somewhat overwhelmed of late, on account of the recent wave of recognition. I had a disappointing experience there recently, and have heard tell of several others. Something to consider -- this may not be the exact best moment to visit the Bar Room.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, the Dining Room at The Modern it is! And the menus look great. Thanks!

For another night that week, I've been given a different choice, and to avoid confusion, I posted about it here and am looking forward to your help in making that choice too. Thanks again everybody! This was perfect.

If finances are not an issue here, why Nougatine as opposed to Jean-Georges? I would certainly recommend the latter for either choice that you have.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If finances are not an issue here, why Nougatine as opposed to Jean-Georges? I would certainly recommend the latter for either choice that you have.

Well, I don't know why she chose or offered what she did, but for a lot of reasons it would be wrong of me with this lady to say that I'd prefer to go to Jean Georges when that wasn't offered. (If that had been one of the offers, I'd have taken it!) I just know with this friend that among the choices she has offered, I absolutely don't have to pick the cheapest one of them. But I think I'd be really rude to ask for Jean Georges when she didn't include it.

if someone else is paying I'd go with the Modern proper.

there certainly are plenty of people who prefer the Bar Room (Bruni's not the only one)...especially considering price...but in this situation you've made the right call.

the Nougatine room is boring.

Well, I don't know why she chose or offered what she did, but for a lot of reasons it would be wrong of me with this lady to say that I'd prefer to go to Jean Georges when that wasn't offered. (If that had been one of the offers, I'd have taken it!) I just know with this friend that among the choices she has offered, I absolutely don't have to pick the cheapest one of them. But I think I'd be really rude to ask for Jean Georges when she didn't include it.

Fair enough.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz