• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staying in Midtown, Suggestions?

paul o' vendange

Hi all,

My wife has an upcoming trip and she'll be staying at the New Yorker. She's looking for a nice mid-range prixe fixe option for dinner mid-week. Any suggestions? Additionally, she's looking for a good cheese shop to scour. Thoughts here would be great as well. Thanks,

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

The New Yorker is on Eighth Avenue near 34th Street, so Ideal is really a little remote (around 50th and First Avenue if I recall). Artisanal is not exactly around the corner either, but at 32nd between Park and Madison it is a bit closer. She might think of eating there too; I never have, but the menu looks tempting and seems to be in that mid price range you were talking about.

If she's really wants the cheese shop experience, she should go to Murray's Cheese Shop. She can catch the #1 train downtown from 34th & 7th to the Christopher Street stop (very short & close, in NYC terms). If you google Murray's, a google map will come up that can guide her the rest of the way there. IMHO, it's worth it.

Paul,

Murray's also has a shop in Grand Central Station in the food court. Very nice selection and excellent people.

Artisanal also has a limited selection of cheese.

Tim

Something your wife may want to check into if the schedule is right is a class at Artisanal Cheese Center, at 500 W. 37th (10th Ave). Some neat classes in cheese production and tasting, or pairing various cheeses with wines, spirits, or beers. If she's serious about cheese, could be a fun night for her. (No retail sale of cheese at that location, though, sadly.)

And I'll definitely second a trip to Murray's in the Village. Very much the place to go.

As for Artisanal, she could certainly do worse for a moderately-priced dinner. And she'd get a very nice cheese plate to round things out.

Christopher

Something your wife may want to check into if the schedule is right is a class at Artisanal Cheese Center, at 500 W. 37th (10th Ave).  Some neat classes in cheese production and tasting, or pairing various cheeses with wines, spirits, or beers.  If she's serious about cheese, could be a fun night for her.  (No retail sale of cheese at that location, though, sadly.)

And I'll definitely second a trip to Murray's in the Village.  Very much the place to go.

As for Artisanal, she could certainly do worse for a moderately-priced dinner.  And she'd get a very nice cheese plate to round things out.

Christopher

Thanks everybody, some great suggestions. Plattetude, thanks for the cheesemaking suggestion. Funny you mention it - this is something she's expressed an interest in for some time. While I will be working my butt off in Paris next year, she will be doing some...er...."sensory evaluation" on her end of the kitchen door, in French wine and cheese.

Much appreciated,

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Just a followup to this - my wife will be going to a wine-pairing event at Northsquare Restaurant and Lounge. Firesteed wines will be presenting their pinot, and the Chef will be doing his take on traditional Burgundian cuisine. This sounds great - my wife is the winner of the WCR International Pinot Noir Celebration Fellowship, and will be heading out to Oregon this summer for some serious fun - and she is really looking forward to the Northsquare evening.

Chef Cruz' menu:

STUFFED GOUGÈRE

gruyere puffs stuffed with foie gras mousse,

served with fruit chutney and balsamic glaze

Oregon Appellation Pinot Gris 2003

CURED SALMON CRÊPES

cucumber, red peppers, salmon roe,

cornichon, chervil crème fraîche

Oregon Appellation Pinot Noir 2005

ORANGE GLAZED DUCK BREAST

roasted fries, grilled onions,

mustard béarnaise, orange & cassis au jus

Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 2001

VENISON BOURGUIGNONNE

herbed potato galette, baked tomato,

shallot & mushroom red wine sauce

Citation, Reserve Pinot Noir 1995

FROMAGE BOURGOGNE & LES FRAISES

Citation, Sparkling Brut NV

Jealous, to be sure. Anyone else been there? Experiences?

-Paul

Just an endnote - my wife ended up bailing on the North Square event and had an early, really nice meal at Le Singe Vert. She got day-of tickets to see Kevin Kline in Lear (floored by the performance). FYI to any interested, they've extended the performances for a few more weeks.

This entire trip to NY was her first, and I owe my thanks to her parents for giving their daughter a well-deserved get away.

-Paul