• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Domestic Goddess - Adobo & Fried Chicken in Korea

Miladyinsanity - they actually do. I can't figure out the filling though, I know the sesame seed covered one has red bean paste. There is one that has like a date filling in it and another with sweet potato. And they're so chewy! (Quite a tummy filler, too).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

My simple light lunch today:

Plain kimbab and Keranmari Kimbap (egg wrapped kimbap - Keran means egg in Korean).

gallery_28661_4295_194867.jpg

These look so good! What's inside them, especially the big whitish cube in the centre?

Today is the 9th and again it is Street Market Day! Today's street market was bigger (on account there was no rain and the weather was a bit warmer). Here are more street scenes and cultural pic.

A friendly japanese cake vendor. These round cakes are filled with sweet red bean paste.

gallery_28661_4295_397290.jpg

This grinding facility is not in the street market but on the way there. I want to show you where most women get their gocharu (ground red pepper powder) and barley powder.

gallery_28661_4295_176874.jpg

The entrance to the street market.

gallery_28661_4295_269572.jpg

These vendors are selling capiz pearl oysters (that's what it's called in my country). We use these shells to make jewelry, lanterns, household items and even decorative fixtures.

gallery_28661_4295_139864.jpg

gallery_28661_4295_95862.jpg

Catfish sold in basins.

gallery_28661_4295_419740.jpg

I've always seen this old woman make this half-moon fried pastries. I still don't know what it is.

gallery_28661_4295_45419.jpg

Local bakery selling fried and baked products.

gallery_28661_4295_118972.jpg

Beans, grains and legumes sold by scoop or wooden container.

gallery_28661_4295_94135.jpg

Korean clowns clang their huge candy scissors to attract customers to their yut cart. Yut is kinda like a hard nougat candy, very sticky and very sweet. These clowns actually stop people and accost them to the cart. I saw two old ladies buy a pack just to make them stop. LOL

gallery_28661_4295_184047.jpg

One of my favorite carts - the roasted chestnut vendor. The chestnuts are roasted with tiny black ceramic balls heated by a burner.

gallery_28661_4295_315064.jpg

gallery_28661_4295_187508.jpg

Chinese medicinal products - roots, dates, seeds and dried bark & herbs.

gallery_28661_4295_452843.jpg

Fresh fish cake vendor.

gallery_28661_4295_355153.jpg

What do we have here? Fried chicken!

gallery_28661_4295_368525.jpg

Ginseng and dates for stuffing in samgyetang chicken.

gallery_28661_4295_429350.jpg

Savory bean pancakes being cooked for hungry customers at the back.

gallery_28661_4295_73243.jpg

A friendly vendor shows grandma how to tie a scarf.

gallery_28661_4295_121220.jpg

Bamboo products for basically every need in the house.

gallery_28661_4295_288544.jpg

Lacquered wooden products gleam in the afternoon sun.

gallery_28661_4295_416649.jpg

I buy trinkets and hair products here for my nieces in the Philippines.

gallery_28661_4295_114701.jpg

Spiny sea cucumbers and naked ones nestle in their water-filled plastic bags. Oysters are in the blue plastic bags.

gallery_28661_4295_122398.jpg

gallery_28661_4295_249098.jpg

You wouldn't guess what these are. They're charcoal-filled frames to hang in your house - they serve a double function. As a decorative frame and an aircleaner.

gallery_28661_4295_2086.jpg

Something for SheenaGreena - sundae! Yes, it's the famous blood and noodle filled sausage.

gallery_28661_4295_92593.jpg

Salted fish hang by their yellow ties, waiting to be bought. These fish bundles are favorite gifts during Chuseok (Thanksgiving) and can cost up to $30 per bundle. :blink:

gallery_28661_4295_314797.jpg

My street market report is done and my dogs are barking. Now I'll sit back and relax while I massage my aching feet. :wink:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

My simple light lunch today:

Plain kimbab and Keranmari Kimbap (egg wrapped kimbap - Keran means egg in Korean).

gallery_28661_4295_194867.jpg

These look so good! What's inside them, especially the big whitish cube in the centre?

Kimbap usually has spinach, julienned carrots, scrambled eggs, strips of ham and the white cube in the middle is actually pickled radish. Now I have a confession to make, I usually poke these radishes out before I eat a kimbap slice. I just don't like the crunchy, sweet taste with the savoury stuff. I do eat the radish cubes after I have eaten all of the kimbap.

This is a wonderful virtual tour, Doddie, of the food and sights in and around your home. :biggrin:

Any chance we could see your first published poem? I'm sure it is on topic as you wrote it at your Mom's burger stall. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Doddie,

You could make so many Filipino desserts using those eggs! Leche Flan, Sans Rival, Yemas, Brazo de Mercedes.......ooohhh all artery-clogging.. :P

I love this food blog of yours.

I still haven't made any of the Korean recipes you sent me. :( I'm eating healthy nowadays kasi. :P

Any chance we could see your first published poem? I'm sure it is on topic as you wrote it at your Mom's burger stall. :wink:

Dejah - here's the actual page where I wrote it 29 years ago. Yes, I still have the notebook.

gallery_28661_4295_101691.jpg

Lumiere - aaah, you just named my waterloo - Leche Flan. I can never make this Filipino dessert (my brother and my mom makes leche flan that makes my hubby wanna cry). I have tried several times to make this luscious egg custard but failed miserably everytime. :sad:

Korean clowns clang their huge candy scissors to attract customers to their yut cart. Yut is kinda like a hard nougat candy, very sticky and very sweet.

It's traditional for students to eat this before a big test, so answers will "stick" in their minds.

Korean clowns clang their huge candy scissors to attract customers to their yut cart. Yut is kinda like a hard nougat candy, very sticky and very sweet.

It's traditional for students to eat this before a big test, so answers will "stick" in their minds.

Wow! I didn't know that Nakji. Thanks for the interesting bit of trivia! :smile:

I almost forgot - here's what we had for supper tonight. Remember the Ginisang Giniling the previous night? The ground pork saute is now resurrected as Fried Torta for supper.

Here are kids' plates. I thawed some pork tinola soup (boiled pork soup) to go with their meal. Ketchup is the preferred condiment for torta by the kids. I like mine with soy sauce and vinegar. Or Maggie seasoning.

gallery_28661_4295_57491.jpg

Lumiere - aaah, you just named my waterloo - Leche Flan. I can never make this Filipino dessert (my brother and my mom makes leche flan that makes my hubby wanna cry). I have tried several times to make this luscious egg custard but failed miserably everytime.  :sad:

What is it that goes wrong? Curdles? Too hard? Texture is coarse because there are bubbles? If you cut the sugar too much, it will curdle and become scrambled eggs, yucky, sweetish scrambled eggs at that.

And are you steaming it or baking it in a waterbath? Also, what's the ratio of milk to egg yolks? If you use whole eggs, the texture may also be coarser.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Milady - first time it was too coarse. Then I steamed it and found out that water seeped into the custard tray/dish and it became waterlogged, drowned leche flan.

My ratio is 12 egg yolks, half a cup of evaporated milk, half a cup of condensed milk and I think 1 cup sugar. I know, it's a very sweet flan. My mom's flan is so dense, rich and smooth (because of that recipe). The texture is so silky on the tongue. So far, I haven't been able to replicate it. :(

Gastro 888 - MAGGIE SEASONING RULES!  It's liquid crack.

You said it Gastro, we go through 1 bottle in about a month. I swear. Billy would drink it if I let him. Heck I'd drink it if I let me. LOL

Milady - first time it was too coarse. Then I steamed it and found out that water seeped into the custard tray/dish and it became waterlogged, drowned leche flan.

My ratio is 12 egg yolks, half a cup of evaporated milk, half a cup of condensed milk and I think 1 cup sugar. I know, it's a very sweet flan. My mom's flan is so dense, rich and smooth (because of that recipe). The texture is so silky on the tongue. So far, I haven't been able to replicate it. :(

I don't like to use evaporated milk or condensed milk--the latter because of the sweetness factor, and because I think it tastes better with fresh milk.

If you want it richer, how about using cream instead? My ratio's actually only 6 large egg yolks to 1 cup full cream milk, and less than one cup sugar including the sugar for caramelizing. Duck yolks are supposed to help make it richer too.

Perhaps you want to try 12 egg yolks to 1 cup milk? Or you could go all out, 12 egg yolks and 1 cup cream.

I've never tried steaming it, because baking in a water bath has worked wonderfully for me. Is that possible in your turbo thing?

My recipe's basically been infusing the milk with whatever I want to flavor it with (I usually dissolve the sugar in here as well) then mixing it with the yolks after the milk has cooled. Then it's into the moulds and then the oven.

Have you been beating the mixture? Too much air is not a good thing either.

May

Seriously, what *is* Maggie Seasoning and what makes it soooo addictive?

MSG. :laugh:

Seriously, Maggi is a brand of soup cubes and granules and instant noodles--in southeast Asia, it's a joke that when a student moves overseas to study, they bring these in their bag with them.

Not sure which seasoning in particular they've been referring to though.

May

Milady - unfortunately, cream is something I don't have access to where I am at. I am intrigued with the 12 eggyolks + 1 cup milk. And the baine marie method using my turbo-broiler. Hmmm... I see an experiment coming up. I will test this ratio and method of cooking plus the tip about dissolving the sugar before mixing the eggyolks. I'll posts the result this weekend.

Seriously, what *is* Maggie Seasoning and what makes it soooo addictive?

MSG. :laugh:

Seriously, Maggi is a brand of soup cubes and granules and instant noodles--in southeast Asia, it's a joke that when a student moves overseas to study, they bring these in their bag with them.

Not sure which seasoning in particular they've been referring to though.

I think the Maggi Gastro888 is talking about is the sauce in a smallish bottle, soy-ish but not quite :smile:

Thank you, DG, for the garlic fried rice info.

Blog on!

and thanks from me too- I will make extra rice next and try it!

We have a Korean women's spa here and there is a room with charcoal walls that is suppose to be purifying to your system to sit in and breathe! It's just like those pictures at your market!

Milady - unfortunately, cream is something I don't have access to where I am at. I am intrigued with the 12 eggyolks + 1 cup milk. And the baine marie method using my turbo-broiler. Hmmm... I see an experiment coming up. I will test this ratio and method of cooking plus the tip about dissolving the sugar before mixing the eggyolks. I'll posts the result this weekend.

I'm honored.

No promises, but I'll try to make a batch too. :smile:

May

We have a Korean women's spa here and there is a room with charcoal walls that is suppose to be purifying to your system to sit in and breathe! It's just like those pictures at your market!

We do as well here in NYC. Does it work?

thanks for the awesome soondae pic, did you eat some? I love that you can get it so fresh in korea. In maryland we get it freshly steamed and it's sliced to order but here in boston it's sold presliced ....very very dry

I love the yut man!!!!!!He always has those big metal scissors that he cuts the yut with and does little hand moves with. I bet your kids love yut, I wonder what it is made out of? That stuff is pure sugar. I've seen another similar candy sold at the korean folk village that is brown and clear. Does that ring any bells? I thought that stuff would rip out my fillings when I ate it as a kid. I love reading this blog, it brings back so many memories and makes me miss my mom especially

my sister always pushes out her takuan too, she hates it. I love it though!

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Takuan - so that's the korean name for pickled radish. I always forget what it is whenever I order gimbap. I wanna tell them to leave it out. LOL

We do as well here in NYC. Does it work?

I've never been in it, always too busy with the soaking pools and the body scrub. Btw Domestic Goddess are Korean spa's still a normal part of life there? Ours has a restaurant so you just spend the whole day there and have lunch whenever you want (in your robe and barefeet!)

Thank God for weekends - hubby cooks breakfast so I can sleep in. Good thing also for this morning I had an asthma attack.

Grated potatoes for hash brown.

gallery_28661_4295_146237.jpg

gallery_28661_4295_342938.jpg

Darling hubby practices his hash brown flippin' technique. I can never DO that.

gallery_28661_4295_198572.jpg

Beautiful hash brown.

gallery_28661_4295_343827.jpg

Hubby cooks bacon and a sunny-side up egg for Jai.

gallery_28661_4295_331566.jpg

My plate with hotel-scrambled eggs, ham and hash brown. Thanks Darling Hubby! :wub:

gallery_28661_4295_118985.jpg

"C'mon, Mom! Not when we're eating!"

gallery_28661_4295_249424.jpg