• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Domestic Goddess - Adobo & Fried Chicken in Korea

Catherine is a poultry vet by profession and is married to a poultry farm scion. Their poulty farm has about 100,00 hens and produces half a million eggs a day. Guess what she gave me today? Two trays of freshly laid eggs from first time hens. Apparently, koreans treasure the eggs that a hen lays for the first time. The difference? The eggshells are harder and thicker and the flavor is a bit more intense, especially the eggyolks.

when I was a kid, my grandparents no longer had a working farm, but the one thing that remained from their farmer's life was a bunch of chickens. The Hen's First Eggs was always a memorable occasion, and some of those eggs were saved for my mom and me when we came to visit. They were very small and had great flavor.

Some things are the same, all over the globe! :smile:

Apparently, koreans treasure the eggs that a hen lays for the first time. The difference? The eggshells are harder and thicker and the flavor is a bit more intense, especially the eggyolks.

gallery_28661_4295_46710.jpg

These eggs are tiny, a little bit bigger than a golf ball.

What do the yolks look like? Is it one of those eggs, sunny side up on your sons plate?

When I grew up, we had a couple of tiny chickens walking freely around our gardens. Their eggs were incredibly small and the tastiest I ever had. Rich, creamy, intense. I have never tasted anything like it since.

Gastro888 - thanks for the tip. Now I have to find me a good recipe for pasta carbonara. Care to share your recipe? :)

Sure. I'm not saying it's authentic :biggrin: but it's my recipe. :laugh: ....

Gastro's recipe looks delicious. Just wanted to share the following:
In Cooking the Roman Way, David Downie discusses controversies surrounding the origins of the dish and in his recipe, offers two simple strategies for making perfect carbonara.

1) After sauteeing the guanciale, pancetta or bacon in olive oil, turn off the heat and let it rest for three minutes. At that point your pasta should be done.

2) Pour the pasta and egg (already mixed with cheese) into the sautee pan, combine and cover for a minute.

I love this method, especially the degree to which the egg clings to the pasta while retaining a sauce-like quality.

Instead of putting aside the egg whites and then thinning the rich, thick sauce with water, I'd recommend beating 3 eggs (or number matching the number of mouths expected at the table, minus 1) plus 1 additional yolk to enrich the sauce.

I'd also be less generous with the pecorino so the sauce is created primarily by the egg. Just a couple of tablespoons, letting people dust the penne (spaghetti, whatever) in their heated bowls* with grated Romano & Parmesan (or whatever is available) at the table.

*Here's where the pasta water can be put to use. Warm each bowl by draining the pasta over individual bowls if you have the space in your kitchen. (The quote above is from: The Cooking and Cuisine of Lazio.)

I confess that I haven't caught all of your blog, but I truly enjoy what I've read. Thank you!

One of my favorite things to see is documentation of shopping trips. I am beginning to enjoy supermarkets as much as outdoor markets because of unfamiliar ingredients.

The dehydrated vegetables you pointed out intrigued me--I think you mentioned zucchini, but I wasn't sure. Dehydrated fruits are much more popular here in the US--unless you count tomatoes and chile peppers since they're used as vegetables. What uses do the dried vegetables have?

Also, a friend raved about visiting one particularly good restaurant in Korea where the floors were heated. You've mentioned how difficult it is to get used to dining on low tables, but I've missed any references to heated floors. Are they a very rare feature, then?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

P.S. On second thought, you should increase the number of eggs I recommended for carbonara in the post above. I just saw your comments on the preceding page concerning eggs the size of golf balls.

The beaten contents of a single large egg here in the US measures approximately 1/4 cup, so adjust number of whole eggs and extra egg yolks accordingly.

Since I'm posting again, I'll note that there is a kind of hippy-vegetarian restaurant called Moosewood whose collective kitchen publishes cookbooks. One that I own contains a recipe for a Philippine breakfast of garlic-fried rice topped with an egg sunny-side up, crunchy salt and as many little tiny green tabasco peppers pickled in vinegar as you can stand along with a few splashes of the vinegar. I don't know how authentic the combination is, but it's definitely a favorite!

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Instead of putting aside the egg whites and then thinning the rich, thick sauce with water, I'd recommend beating 3 eggs (or number matching the number of mouths expected at the table, minus 1) plus 1 additional yolk to enrich the sauce. 

I'd also be less generous with the pecorino so the sauce is created primarily by the egg.  Just a couple of tablespoons, letting people dust the penne (spaghetti, whatever) in their heated bowls* with grated Romano & Parmesan (or whatever is available) at the table.

:laugh: Funny. I used 6 egg yolks and no whites for last night's dinner for two.

Less pecorino?! :blink: Are you sure? It's the cheese that gives it that nice salty taste. Without it, the pasta would be flat tasting.

In regards to adding the pasta water, that's up to you. The sauce I made last night with 6 egg yolks (medium sized US farmer's eggs) and a 1/2 wedge of pecorino with 2/3 bacon coated every inch of my pasta very well - but! - did not leave a pool of sauce whatsoever at the bottom. Now I've been trying to recreate this pasta carbonara I had in Rome that was so silky & smooth and I think the secret is the pasta water. I could be wrong, though. Someone should donate to my research project! :wink:

ETA: That carbonara I had in Rome was bright egg-yolk yellow. I've not seen many carbonaras like that. I figure they used *alot* of yolk which is why I do, too. (Also, b/c I love egg yolks.) My pasta last night was about the same color as this smiley face. :laugh:

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

how often do you make up the garlic fried rice? do you make it fresh each morning or are you making a few days worth at a time. Care to walk someone who isn't so good at fried rice through it???

Also since you have been having awesome lunches for the blog what would you generally eat for lunch? at home or out?

I loved my trips to South Korea and I LOVE this blog. It makes we want to jump on a plane and come over. I got to see the palaces in Seoul that was about it. Even though I worked most of the time I was there I did get to have some amazing meals.

Thanks for the trip back down memory lane.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Gorgeous eggs.

DG I love your foodblog.  Cute boys!  And a lovely microcasm of the wildly multi-culti eG world.  The sheer amount of cooking you do is impressive, but also the high quality.

Have you outlined your garlic fried rice method somewhere I missed?

Priscilla - thank you! I have shared my garlic fried rice recipe in the eGullet Recipe section. But here it is for you to copy.

Garlic Fried Rice

2-3 tbsp minced garlic

4-5cups of cold cooked rice*

1 to 1 1/2 tbsp veg. oil

*Best to use leftover rice. Freshly cooked rice does not make good fried rice.

1. In a non-stick pan or wok add the veg. oil and turn the heat up to medium, add the minced garlic and cook over medium heat until golden brown.

2. Add the cold rice and stir, mash and mix in thoroughly with the garlic and oil. Keep folding the rice over the garlic, making sure it gets evenly mixed.

3. Continue stirring and mixing until the rice becomes a uniform golden brown color and the garlic has been thoroughly mixed uniformly throughout the pan.

4. Serve hot with bacon, ham, scrambled eggs, etc.

(PS. you can do this recipe even with just a cup of cold rice, just adjust the ingredients). Just a tip!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Gastro888 and POntormo - that is one awesome recipe! Definitely making that this weekend. Thanks!

how often do you make up the garlic fried rice? do you make it fresh each morning or are you making a few days worth at a time. Care to walk someone who isn't so good at fried rice through it???

Also since you have been having awesome lunches for the blog what would you generally eat for lunch? at home or out?

Littlemissfoodie - see above fore garlic fried rice recipe. I usually make it fresh in the morning (insert long suffering smile here). It's just gotten to be a habit and I love it when Jai wakes up with a smile on his face, becase he smells the garlic I'm toasting in the pan.

I usually have Filipino or chinese meals for lunch. I don't know if I mentioned this but I don't usually eat breakfast, if I do I eat my breakfast around 10:30 to 11:00 am. My typical lunch would be wonton soup, gyoza with noodles, sinigang with rice, fried fish with vegggies, chop seuy, etc.

MomofLittleFoodies, handmc - Thank you.

Pontormo - yes that recipe is authentic, I remember eating that meal for breakfast fixed by my grandmother. Aaaah, those crunchy salt bits! Now I'm having a trip down memory lane.

What do the yolks look like? Is it one of those eggs, sunny side up on your sons plate?

Amapola - Here is one of those eggs on my son's breakfast plate this morning. The whole fried egg could fit in the palm of my hand (and I got tiny hands! LOL).

gallery_28661_4295_127548.jpg

Chufi - I never had First Laid eggs before. This was a very nice treat.

Doddie: You mentioned in your introduction that you are a writer. Can you expand on that - or did I miss that particular post?

Djah- I have been writing most of my life. It started when I was 8, sitting on the counter of my mom's burger stall stools (we owned one burger joint in Dumaguete city, Philippines during the 70's). A college student saw me writing a poem in English on a notebook and asked if he could see it. He then asked if he could published my poems on the Honor Society paper in the prestigious Silliman University (an American run university in Dumaguete city). He couldn't believe I was writing poems like that in an early age. Thus started my love affair with writing.

My mom had loyal burger customers, Silliman college students and professors who would stop by to have a snack. They would encouraged and teach me the principles of writing during these breaks. It was funny, I remember getting into writing and prose arguments with them. Me, an elementary student debating on the subject of life and death and prose with these grown-ups with Eagles music blaring in the background.

I decided I would write for a living. I got a degree in Advertising and Journalism and worked my way from copywriter to PR associate to eventually becoming a Marketing Manager for an internet company in the Philippines. That was my last job before I left for Korea to become a full-fledged Domestic Goddess. :rolleyes:

This recipe tutorial is for my former college ed-in-chief - Grace with Fire.

Hotel Scrambled Eggs

You start off by assembling your ingredients - 2 eggs, whole milk, butter, salt & pepper.

gallery_28661_4295_269748.jpg

Take a big bowl and break the eggs into it. Add about 2 tablespoons of milk.

gallery_28661_4295_52794.jpg

Whisk vigorously for a minute or two.

gallery_28661_4295_281508.jpg

gallery_28661_4295_127527.jpg

In a pan, heat up some butter over low heat. Spread the butter evenly all over the pan.

gallery_28661_4295_277553.jpg

Add the whisked eggs and immediately start scraping gently from the edge of the pan towards the middle. Remember to keep the flame on low heat and to be very gentle in handling the eggs. Patience is a virtue when it comes to scrambled eggs.

gallery_28661_4295_304439.jpg

Continue scraping. Scrape, scrape, scrape (don't even stop for a second or two). Within a minute you will see everything come together. Turn off the heat now and continue stirring and scraping (the leftover heat will continue to cook the eggs). If you like your eggs runny like mine, turn them on the plate now. Season with salt & pepper.

gallery_28661_4295_278413.jpg

Here is my hotel-scrambled eggs, fluffy, tender and oh so good. Now wasn't that easy as peas?

gallery_28661_4295_312795.jpg

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie - I am loving this blog. I always enjoy the vicarious travel with outside-of-the-USA blogs and yours is no exception. I love seeing the familiar (the chocolate strawberry shortcake) and the totally unfamiliar – the incredible Korean restaurants!

By the way, don’t know if you have had the time this week to read the Dinner thread, but I did make your ‘crab’ and ham salad and loved it. I described it to a lady today at work (I work in a food market) and gave credit to my ‘friend’ in Korea. Hope you don’t mind me claiming you thus!

I also wanted to say how much all your ‘instruction’ is appreciated! I don’t think I remember another blog where the blogger was so responsive to requests for help and teaching! I have learned a LOT in this blog!

And look what I found everybody!!

Kim

Kim Shook! I saw your ham and crab salad in a croissant. Two of my son's favorite things to eat. I never thought of combining those two food items. We just goble up the ham and crab salad like it was nothing. LOL Thank you for crediting it to me, I must confess I got the idea from a local Italian restaurant here in Seoul.

Hey, that turbo broiler oven costs about the same here, $84. Geesh, without the discounts, it would cost terribly expensive.

Lunch today is something light (unlike the feasts that I have been partaking the past several days). I'm gonna buy gim bap from a popular gim bap restaurant. :biggrin:

Thanks for the empanada tutorial! Can the dough recipe be used for fried empanada, too? I should bake things more--better for my health--but anything fried is good!

Turbo broilers--my grandparents used to have one. They seem to be very popular with ex-pat Filipinos, but I don't remember seeing them much in the Philippines. They're great for people with no ovens, or for just "roasting" a few pieces of chicken. I'd never ever thought of baking other things in it, though!

I also love the "urban planning" notion of small clustered dwellings

surrounded by large open spaces, with lots of shared amenities in

the public space; opposed to the sprawl model with huge homes with

everything inside them (and people whine about heating/ aircon bills;

and having to drive everywhere and get stuck in traffic jams....)

(I wonder the score differences between the former and latter

dwellings on www.footprint.org).....

Milagai

I think it would help create a sense of community too, because you'd get to know your neighbors. Its so easy to cozy up at home and never get out into the world, and here, people are doing that more and more. Apparently a new trend in high-end remodels is to put a mini-fridge and coffee maker in the master bathroom. I guess that way one doesnt even have to face the kids and pets in the morning. (Not to say that its a fantasy I couldnt buy into .... :laugh: )

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thanks for the empanada tutorial!  Can the dough recipe be used for fried empanada, too?  I should bake things more--better for my health--but anything fried is good!

Turbo broilers--my grandparents used to have one.  They seem to be very popular with ex-pat Filipinos, but I don't remember seeing them much in the Philippines.  They're great for people with no ovens, or for just "roasting" a few pieces of chicken.  I'd never ever thought of baking other things in it, though!

Yes! The dough is better fried (for taste) but I bake it (for convenience and for health).

The turbo oven is very versatile. It's what I used to bake my cakes, cookies and pies too.

Kouign Aman -  I guess that way one doesnt even have to face the kids and pets in the morning. (Not to say that its a fantasy I couldnt buy into ....  )

Hmmm, I can buy into that too. LOL :raz:

Carrot Top - Nobody has called my eggs sexy before. ROFLOL :laugh:

I just read through this entire blog in one sitting and I am SO hungry now. I want some garlic rice, and hotel eggs, and some beef stew and empanadas and most of what's been pictured from those restaurants. Such a fascinating mix of food and cultures. And I would die for access to markets that look that good here - such variety.

Thank you for your efforts this week, the blog has been very educational and very entertaining. And now, I need to go find something to eat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

KentD - I never thought that this blog would make so many hungry. My family and friends kept telling me that they had to stop reading and find something in the fridge.

My simple light lunch today:

Plain kimbab and Keranmari Kimbap (egg wrapped kimbap - Keran means egg in Korean).

gallery_28661_4295_194867.jpg

Dessert was more multi-colored rice cake snacks.

gallery_28661_4295_259463.jpg