• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Fava Beans

Kerry Beal

As Jenni said, Foul Mudammas is a meal. Usually accompanied with pita bread and lots of fresh and pickled vegetables.

This subject needs some photos:

foul.jpg

Fool-and-accompaniments.jpg

Although the 'Whole Bean' ( unpeeled ) variety seemed like it could have been planted successsfully after an overnight soak since they seemed to 'Sprout ' as well as anything Ive ever done for a salad .. Nasty looking plant from what I found, so they all went into the Cuisinart

Fava beans grow quite well even in MI weather.

127_2756.jpg

127_2793.jpg

That looks beautiful. I don't have any pitas, but I guess some other flat bread could stand in for it.

I see cucumbers, mint, olives and pickled chilis...do you use chopped boiled eggs, too? And do you chop your garnishes, or put them on whole?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to have lost this thread- to stuff a lamb pocket with fava beans I soak and cook the beans, then toss them with cumin, olive oil, salt and garlic. I chop a lot of parsley and add that to the beans, then stuff the lamb with them before roasting it. I make hashu on the side, that's a "stuffing" made with ground lamb and rice with toasted pine nuts and sauteed onions. I usually bake a lot of halved Spanish onions alongside the lamb pocket, and I serve steamed carrots and string beans at the table, as my daughter likes that combination of flavors. We also usually have a lemon, cumin and garlic seasoned salad made with parsley, mixed greens and tomatoes with this meal. I rarely have meat in the house any longer, but this is a favorite of my daughter for Shabbat dinner- it's well worth the effort involved in having meat shipped to the house every so often. Heck, the pine nuts cost more per pound than the lamb does these days!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06