• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus: the Mexican crop is in!

Dave the Cook

I grow my own, so store bought usually just doesn't make it into my shopping bag. Another 3 or 4 weeks and I should have all I can eat.

And I am SO trying this:

Our spring tradition with fresh asparagus is to dip them whole (less the tough ends) in beer batter, tempura batter or even panko ...and deep fry them until golden and crispy... served with broiled or grilled Copper River salmon ...my kids feel it is not spring with out this dish!

if you have never dipped and fried whole fresh spring asparagus ...well ...trust me on this one!!!

sparrowgrass

The Mexican crop just hit our stores too! 10 lbs for $10 at one store, $.77/lb at another. I just blanched/froze 12 lbs. yesterday. Mmmmmmmm

(I underblanch spears so they cook without going mushy...30 second plunge in boiling water, 1 minute in icewater... pat dry, lay out on cookie sheets covered with parchment, then into the chest freezer for 24 hours. Next day they go into baggies for summer delight.)

I went the hollandiase route, 1.50 a pound and in process of moving so only bought one batch.

But been craving them ever since and may just have to get more before I move.

This time I will prob just do my usual- butter and lemon, yummm.

I don't think anyone's pretending that the Mexican crop has anywhere near the same freshness & vibrancy as day truck asparagus.

But until we get to that season in the northeast, & compared with the other fresh vegetables that have been available over the last few months, those reasonably green spears are a most welcome sight. And taste.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I don't think anyone's pretending that the Mexican crop has anywhere near the same freshness & vibrancy as day truck asparagus.

1374051endin pret

I'm not pretending either, and if I were committed to eating locally the vegetal component of my diet would be the hips from my snow-covered rosebushes. Viva Mexico!

Tempura, yes! I'm having a sweaty fantasy about the crispy battered spears dipped in the buttery yolk of a soft boiled egg. With a couple of rashers it sounds like a most lubricous Sunday breakfast.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Ya, and for some of us lovely sunny Mexico IS local. Viva Mexico indeed--a lot of what happens and needs to happen daily would NOT, happen, without its citizens.

The other night, wasn't roasted after all; fat spears peeled, blanched, eaten by hand w/mayonnaise, a la Russe. Accompanying Rocky V; ingesting the Rocky cycle entire and in order, just the way I like it; Rocky VI is #1 for takeoff upon release later this month.

Tonight, skinnier ones cut, steamed, dressed with Japanese sesame sauce.

Tomorrow, remains to be seen.

And ye olde freezer bag of trimmings for asparagus soup in potential grows propitiously.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter