• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Martini Video

johnder

There is a discussion going on over at webtender the fantastic Angus posted a video he took when he was served a dry martini. Some interesting things from this video,

Video here.

It was a mix of Beefeater and Tanqueray.

The vermouth was served on the side.

The ice was rinsed with mineral water before mixing a liquor.

The drink got a olive garnish, but just a touch of lemon to the rim on one side.

Quoting from Angus' post over on webtender.

The side shot of chilled vermouth was a nice touch and one I have never seen

elsewhere and does get over guests' annoyance when you rinse a glass or ice

cubes in vermouth and 'discard'... the two gins is nice and the little 'dink'

with the lemon twist over the drink and near the rim where my mouth will sip

from was lovely... you can't hear but the olive pick was silver with wooden

handle...

Angus' full post over at webtender is here.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Having never been to Japan, I'm never sure how representative these videos are of Japanese bar culture in general, or if they are just from very upscale establishements.

They are often quite impressive.

I don't understand the rinsing-the-ice-with-vermouth method of making a martini, or why anyone would want a shot of cold vermouth on the side.

I'll admit, though, I really don't understand the impetus for the nearly vermouth-free gin martini.

I can understand, if you're using vodka for your "martini", you'd want to reduce the amount of vermouth, so it doesn't overwhelm the spirit.

I like gin and a stiff drink as much (or more) than the next guy. I also get that many modern gins are lower proof, so less dilution may be necessary.

Possibly, one could argue that modern distillation is cleaner, and therefore, there is less need to hide any imperfections of the gin with additives. I don't know if I buy that. On the other hand, with most of the brands contract distilling, it may be that the bulk of the gin available today in the US is of lower quality than it was 50 years ago.

In any case, here we're talking about Tanqueray and Beefeater Gin. Both of which are quality gins, I believe, still bottled at the same strength as ever. Cinzano Vermouth, is also generally regarded as a fine brand, though, I'm not sure if I've tasted their dry product.

Not sure if I have a point.

I guess I'm just puzzled by the seemingly pointlessly elaborate nature of the Martini ritual as shown in the video. What sort of establishment is this, that they have this much time to spend on a single cocktail for a single customer. Also, is the idea that you are supposed to drink the vermouth straight or add it to the Martini to taste?

Were they just trying to impress Angus?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Having never been to Japan, I'm never sure how representative these videos are of Japanese bar culture in general, or if they are just from very upscale establishements.

They are often quite impressive.

I don't understand the rinsing-the-ice-with-vermouth method of making a martini, or why anyone would want a shot of cold vermouth on the side.

I'll admit, though, I really don't understand the impetus for the nearly vermouth-free gin martini.

I can understand, if you're using vodka for your "martini", you'd want to reduce the amount of vermouth, so it doesn't overwhelm the spirit.

I like gin and a stiff drink as much (or more) than the next guy.  I also get that many modern gins are lower proof, so less dilution may be necessary.

Possibly, one could argue that modern distillation is cleaner, and therefore, there is less need to hide any imperfections of the gin with additives.  I don't know if I buy that.  On the other hand, with most of the brands contract distilling, it may be that the bulk of the gin available today in the US is of lower quality than it was 50 years ago.

In any case, here we're talking about Tanqueray and Beefeater Gin.  Both of which are quality gins, I believe, still bottled at the same strength as ever.  Cinzano Vermouth, is also generally regarded as a fine brand, though, I'm not sure if I've tasted their dry product.

Not sure if I have a point.

I guess I'm just puzzled by the seemingly pointlessly elaborate nature of the Martini ritual as shown in the video.  What sort of establishment is this, that they have this much time to spend on a single cocktail for a single customer.  Also, is the idea that you are supposed to drink the vermouth straight or add it to the Martini to taste?

Were they just trying to impress Angus?

Having spent quite a bit of time in Japan, I'd guess that the method on display is SOP for that bar.

Bars in Japan range in size from the larger ones attached to International Hotels, but the vast majority are usually quit small, some seating no more than six clients at a time. There would be (hundreds of) thousands of the latter all catering to a specific segment of the market. Whether that be Cocktails, Karaoke, "conversation" or something else. Bar hopping in Japan is quite literally just that, groups will go from bar to bar visiting favorites frequented by each member of the group. The bar in the video looked to be quite large, with 3 staff behind the bar, most will have just one behind the bar and perhaps a couple of hostesses.

I like the touch of serving the Vermouth as a shot once it has rinsed the ice. It's been factored into the price of the drink, so why not serve it to the guest rather than putting it down the sink as most places do?

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis

~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

Having spent quite a bit of time in Japan, I'd guess that the method on display is SOP for that bar.

Bars in Japan range in size from the larger ones attached to International Hotels, but the vast majority are usually quit small, some seating no more than six clients at a time. There would be (hundreds of) thousands of the latter all catering to a specific segment of the market. Whether that be Cocktails, Karaoke, "conversation" or something else. Bar hopping in Japan is quite literally just that, groups will go from bar to bar visiting favorites frequented by each member of the group. The bar in the video looked to be quite large, with 3 staff behind the bar, most will have just one behind the bar and perhaps a couple of hostesses.

I like the touch of serving the Vermouth as a shot once it has rinsed the ice. It's been factored into the price of the drink, so why not serve it to the guest rather than putting it down the sink as most places do?

Vesper,

Thanks for providing some additional information. After reading your post and thinking about it some more, it makes sense to me to think of this bar in the context of the sort of service you might receive in a sushi bar or other types of small Japanese restaurants. A small series of seats in a small restaurant. The culinary artisan sits across from you, and with great skill prepares your cocktail as you look on. Or so I imagine, as I've only seen them in movies and on television.

One day I do hope to visit.

And, yes, I suppose the vermouth on the side is nicer-ish. Though, I would prefer the vermouth to remain in the cocktail! (5-1, orange bitters, stirred, lemon peel, no olive, if you're keeping track!)

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

And, yes, I suppose the vermouth on the side is nicer-ish.  Though, I would prefer the vermouth to remain in the cocktail!  (5-1, orange bitters, stirred, lemon peel, no olive, if you're keeping track!)

I'll bear that in mind should you ever visit us down under :laugh:

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis

~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

• 3 weeks later...
johnder any idea of the name and/or location of the bar where that video was taken?

In another topic Mr. Winchester dropped the name Little Smiths.

I would suggest dropping him a note to know for sure.

I won't put his email address here; but, check his Drinkboy or Webtender profile to find it.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the recent silence re posts here... I have had a few computer issues and also subsequent password issues.

I am surprised by the debate about the elaborate rituals in Mr Hoshi's Martini... it has always been my understanding that ritual and ceremony is half the fun of a Dry Martini.

By rinsing the ice cubes Mr Hoshi with vermouth he adds more vermouth than most modern mixers at that time (now thank the lord we seem to be moving back towards wetter cf Audrey's Fiddy Fiddy at Pegu) and by serving the side shot he allows a wetter option a la Sangrita/Chaser.

Much of serious Japanese bartending is about Ritual and Process. From hand carving ice globes to highly stylised stirring they seem to have tried to create a theatrical element as well as considering the actual physical effects of standard bartending actions rather than just 'going through the motions' as I see so many bartenders today do.

This is no more than old time bartenders a la Thomas, Solon and others did... we just seemingly forgot how or why and became obsessed by speed of service or the drink itself.

I recently saw Dale and Tony AG give a Finlandia seminar on Culinary Cocktails: their take was that bartenders used to use fresh ingredients and scratch ingredients as standard but first the Great War, then Prohibition then the Great Depression and finally WWII gave rise to less chance to use the old skills plus food manufacturers becoming obsessed and happier with canning and preserving... had never heard such a clear explanation of why the Golden Age of bartending came to a close...

and by the by anyone is always welcome to drop me a line on drink related shenanigans at angus@alconomics.com or via the websites www.alconomics.com or www.therumclub.com

aw