• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet cuisine

mckayinutah

Hello all,

Does anyone have , or seen the content of, the new Frederic Bau and friends book " Sweet Cuisine "? JB Prince has it for $58 and it looks like a good book, but I don't want to get it if I have to try to track down unusual ingredients.

Also, anybody know of any other pastry books that are either out or coming out soon that look like they will be good?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I don't have any information on the Bau book, but regarding other new P&B books check the New Baking and Desserts Cookbooks 2007 thread in the Cookbooks and Reference Forum.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

from what i can tell on chipsbooks, 'sweet cuisine' is a compilation-type book with lots of different pastry chefs participating.

edited to add: at $58 from jbprince, i'd get it. chipsbooks is selling it for $129.95

Edited by alanamoana (log)

from what i can tell on chipsbooks, 'sweet cuisine' is a compilation-type book with lots of different pastry chefs participating.

edited to add: at $58 from jbprince, i'd get it.  chipsbooks is selling it for $129.95

I saw that. Wondering whether to get it sooner than later before JB Prince comes to their senses :blink:

Jason

I got "Sweet Cuisine" last year when it was only available in Spanish (damnit). It is a compilation from about 10 mostly Spanish pastry chefs. Very much worth owning, but be warned that it's geared toward professionals with abbreviated directions, and ingredients by weight (yay!). Lots of great ideas and interesting platings.

I have it. It is definately a representation of newer Euro or Spanish dessert cuisine. It is not, however a book laden with "molecular gastronomy." It is mostly simple desserts with many components of varying textures. They are of the "deconstructed" type, if you will. I find though, that the formulas are either altered for simplicity, or just not properly balanced for texture. Several mousses are ganaches or fruit purees with whipped cream folded in. This is where texture suffers for most attempts, i.e. sans eggs for emulsification. There are some good ideas/formulas, especially at $58 from JB Prince. I snatched it when I found them selling it for that price, since as previously posted, other sources are twice that much.

Mitch