• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking for teenage boys

helenas

Just spent a long weekend at the beach with families that included lots of teenage boys as well as some pre-teen girls. Glad to be at work today. :wacko:

Menu included for all:

Barbequed chicken (extra wings and legs thrown in)

Corn on Cob (though not good for those with braces)

Mac anc cheese

Submarine sandwiches

Pizza Hut

Baked Ziti (a BIG hit)

Mozzarella Sticks

Cracked crabs in a spicy fish sauce (this one is best eaten outside)

Grilled Salmon in a Teriakyi Sauce (went over surprisingly well)

Chicken Fajitas

Of Course - Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Hot Dogs

More soda than I could have ever imagined being consumed in a four day period.

They purchased: Funnell cake, fried oreos, french fries and ice cream.

I am wiped out emotionally and financially.

And canned baked beans that you fix in the time-honored Mom tradition....bacon, onions, catsup, mustard, brown sugar or maple syrup.

we (boys including) grew up in russia, so our Mom tradition would be definitely pelmeni

(which is a good idea, since i can buy some decent ones in our local russian grocery).

What is pelmeni? I've never heard of it, but I like ALL the condiments that you suggest with it.

In fact, those are some of my FAVORITE condiments! :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Canadian teenage boys?  I'm thinking a dump truck full of poutine.

Which is different, I'm sure, from something Southern teenage boys would really like..... A dump truck full of "poontane."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Now that we've about exhausted this, let's talk about the theoretical (and funny) circumstance of teaching a teenage boy to cook.

I say it takes showing him lots of videotape of chicks hitting on Tony Bourdain.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Oy.  Do I have to do everything myself?

What do teenage boys like?

Teenage girls, of course.

(Tommy, I'm disappointed with you.)

I almost did it but was waiting for Tommy. Indeed, I'm still waiting for him on the cheese-lovers thread.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

Helena -

Waiting to hear. How'd it go?

Successes? :rolleyes:

Failures? :shock:

Oh Jaymes,

A complete success! I stocked on potato chips, cereals, ice cream and soda.

I made lasagnas, baked potatoes and i grillled, grilled, grilled: burgers and sausages, mostly. The only problem was that at the beginning i couldn't figure the right amount, so i was hungry after the first couple of dinners! But anyway, during the last meal, one of the boys told me: "Aunt Lena, i'm very picky, and i always criticise when i eat in other people's homes, but with your cooking i really have nothing to complain about - it's so tasty!" I was very touched, seriously.

If they're Canadians then moose meat on a stick, frites, and ortolan. No confit.

no confit? canada is weird.

Yes, but we're NICE weird. (what the hell is confit?)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh Jaymes,

A complete success! I stocked on potato chips, cereals, ice cream and soda.

I made lasagnas, baked potatoes and i grillled, grilled, grilled: burgers and sausages, mostly. The only problem was that at the beginning i couldn't figure the right amount, so i was hungry after the first couple of dinners! But anyway, during the last meal, one of the boys told me: "Aunt Lena, i'm very picky, and i always criticise when i eat in other people's homes, but with your cooking i really have nothing to complain about - it's so tasty!" I was very touched, seriously.

You have a right to be proud. What a fine compliment you got from them. (Hungry for the first couple of days, eh? Now, what did I tell you? "Lots and lots and lots!") It's impossible to cook too much for teenage boys.

Congratulations, Aunt Helena! Sounds like you were a smash hit, and they'll remember it forever. AND, brag on you to all the relatives! :rolleyes: