• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hairy moss seaweed

stuart_s

I remember reading something about health concerns related to eating hairy moss seaweed. I can't remember any of the details. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I understand that there are artificial and authentic varieties of hairy moss seaweed. Does this concern apply specifically to one or other? And, while I have your attention, what is artificial seaweed?

Thank you

Our eGulleteer Tepee posted a link to an article about fatt choi - hairy moss seaweed. It seems the

counterfeit black moss made from starch, additives and colorings.

Here's the link:

My Webpage

The article said

The real black moss appears as dark green, while the counterfeit products look blackish,
but the bag I have had for at least 20 years is black. Did they have artificial black moss back in the 80s?

Anyway, I love it, but don't eat excessive amounts. And, I'm still alive and kickin'!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Jeeeeze Sue-On, I can't believe that you are doing the same thing that I do. About 25 years ago, I bought quite a bit of fatt choy for my mother. After 18 CNYs she died in 2000 leaving me to take the contents of her pantry. Yup, there was the remainder of the fatt choy, about a soccer ball volume of the stuff. Nobody eats that stuff except at CNY. :sad:

That's pretty amazing. How do people feel about eating foods older than they are?

Some Chinese food ingredients, like aged red wine and brandy, are more precious the older they get. Examples: chan pei (dried mandarin peels).

(But I don't know about pei dan - "thousand year old egg"...) :laugh:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

That's pretty amazing. How do people feel about eating foods older than they are?

Some Chinese food ingredients, like aged red wine and brandy, are more precious the older they get. Examples: chan pei (dried mandarin peels).

Ahem! You forgot to mention Chinese women before Chinese food ingredients. :angry::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ahem! You forgot to mention Chinese women before Chinese food ingredients. :angry::laugh:

Chinese women are precious at whatever age...my mother beat it into me :raz: .