• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

Hi. I made the peanut butter cups from Greweling's book-Pg 363. I made one batch with Pnut butter and one batch with almond butter instead of pnut. My problem is that I had it sitting in a fridge for just over a month- never mind why... and now it is slighty grainy. Is this the crystalization of the confectioners sugar? Is there a way to de-crystalize if this is the reason? What else could it be? Do you think it is okay to use? It has only pnut/almond butter, conf sugar and cocoa butter in it.

Thanks!

I'm assuming it was smooth when you put it in the fridge?

Given the ingredients I wonder if it is just failure of the mixture to remain in emulsion. I might try first just heating to whole thing to around 40º C then whisking. If that fails to bring about a smooth emulsion, take a small amount, heat and beat until it is smooth, then add the remaining a bit at a time beating until smooth after each addition.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i really would like to know if anyone really tried to use tempered chocolate in your ganaches as peter recommends in his book, i read a few posts about that technique way back in the thread but there doesnt seem to be someone who actually compared a tempered vs. non tempered batch with same ingredients.

none of the other books i own mention that technique, even the head pastry chef of valrhona in germany (who worked closely with frederic bau) thinks its bull...

cheers from cologne

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

hi,

i really would like to know if anyone really tried to use tempered chocolate in your ganaches as peter recommends in his book, i read a few posts about that technique way back in the thread but there doesnt seem to be someone who actually compared a tempered vs. non tempered batch with same ingredients.

none of the other books i own mention that technique, even the head pastry chef of valrhona in germany (who worked closely with frederic bau) thinks its bull...

cheers from cologne

t.

I have taken to using tempered in my ganaches and I'm struck by how quickly and firmly they set up.

I haven't done a side by side comparison, more of a before and after.

I've used tempered chocolate before as well (usually if trying to make a ganache with more choc in it than the cream can melt). I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two techniques but I haven't done a proper comparison.

I want to make the Hot Chocolates, I have bars cut to make 1/2 the recipe. I have very little experinece making marshmellows. Do you just cut the amount of gelatin in half as with the other ingrediants

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I want to make the Hot Chocolates, I have bars cut to make 1/2 the recipe. I have very little experinece making marshmellows. Do you just cut the amount of gelatin in half as with the other ingrediants

Yup, but if you are working with really small amounts in a big mixer you might find mixing more challenging.

Yup, but if you are working with really small amounts in a big mixer you might find mixing more challenging.

And for heaven's sake, please don't forget to oil your tools as I did the last time. It was quite a sight watching me try to spread the marshmallow... :wacko:

And about that... there's got to be a better way to evenly spread the marshmallow. What about oiling a marble rolling pin? Do you think that'd work?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

And for heaven's sake, please don't forget to oil your tools as I did the last time. It was quite a sight watching me try to spread the marshmallow... :wacko:

And about that... there's got to be a better way to evenly spread the marshmallow. What about oiling a marble rolling pin? Do you think that'd work?

I've never had much luck spreading marshmallow, regardless of what I do. The last time I made this, I stopped beating a little early while it was not quite as stiff - it flowed a little better.

The only marshmallow-spreading tools that have ever worked for me (and I make a LOT of marshmallow!) are my own 2 hands, sheathed in non-latex gloves and coated liberally with pan spray.

If you stop beating a bit early, as Kerry suggested, that will make it easier as well.

Patty

About the mint meltaway, I have done them once with succes and the rest of the time they didnt turn , I dont have a marble slab so it takes forever to set the chocolate.

Do you guys do them on the marble and if yes how long it takes to set the chocolate and if not what do you use?I use my counter top , not very handy,maybe its time to get me a marble slab :-P

Thank you

I did made them today and they turned fine , I am planning to enrob them in chocolate, but it took forever to set the chocolate and my hands really dont appreaciate that :huh:

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

About the mint meltaway, I have done them once with succes and the rest of the time they didnt turn , I dont have a marble slab so it takes forever to set the chocolate.

Do you guys do them on the marble and if yes how long it takes to set the chocolate and if not what do you use?I use my counter top , not very handy,maybe its time to get me a marble slab :-P

Thank you

I leave the mixture in a bowl, put it over ice water, stir frequently and as soon as it starts to firm up I pour it into the bars.

Another thing , about pbj's this time, I really want to make these , but I was wondering about the pectin, is the pomona or the jelly pectin available at the grocery store , ok ,or do I need some kind of fancy pectin?

Vanessa

Another thing , about pbj's this time, I really want to make these , but I was wondering about the pectin, is the pomona or the jelly pectin available at the grocery store  , ok ,or do I need some kind of fancy pectin?

In his description on page 260 he says he uses high methoxy pectin - Pomona is apparently low methoxy. I know the certo doesn't work in jellies (at least the liquid stuff).

I'm pretty sure that apple pectin is what you want. I can't recall the french name for it right now - but it is somewhere in eG - starts with a 'V'. Anyway apparently one site that sells it is l'Epicerie.

As far as the Hot Chocolates are concerned, what do you do with the leftovers? If you prepare them as suggested by cutting out rounds, you end up with lots remaining.

Can you do anything good with it?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

As far as the Hot Chocolates are concerned, what do you do with the leftovers?  If you prepare them as suggested by cutting out rounds, you end up with lots remaining. 

Can you do anything good with it?

Besides eating it. I made them the other day & decided to just cut them in squares so I wouldn't have that problem. Did you find them sweet?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com