• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

There is no edit history to show, or this comment was edited by a moderator.

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 
      Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By pastrygirl
      What are the best, darkest chocolates you've found in wholesale quantities?  Aside from 100%, that is ... I'm thinking in the 75-90% range, available in quantities of 5-20 kg.  It's definitely niche, but between the chocolate nerds and the low-carb-ers there's a market.
      Right now, 72% Felchlin Arriba is the darkest I use, in a bar with candied orange.   I have not tried their Elvesia 74% or Sao Palme 75% but it looks like I can get them from AUI.  A Felchlin 88% exists, but would be a special order arriving in a few months (their next container shipment?).  
      Valrhona makes the Abinao 85% but that would be another special order.  I'm pretty sure I tried it at one point and liked it.  Does anyone keep it in stock?
      How is KaKao Berlin?  They have a Brandenberg 75% but I'm not familiar with the brand.
      Any others?  Or I could make my own and have the super dark be my one bean-to bar flavor ...
    • By Trufflenaut
      Does anyone have any tricks for making small balls of caramel (suitable for panning with sugar and chocolate)?  So far I've tried making a batch of caramels, cutting them into little squares after they cool, and rolling them by hand into balls, but I very quickly run into the problem of the heat from my hands warming the caramels enough to release some of the fat from the butter in the caramel, making my hands too greasy for rolling.  I could cool the caramels first to minimize this, but then they'd be too hard and won't change shape.  I solved a similar problem when hand-rolling chocolate truffles by coating them in cocoa powder first - can I do something similar by tossing the caramel squares in powdered sugar first, or will that cause the caramels to crystallize?