• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt in Bread Recipe?

doughgirl

I've been wanting to make these lovely little buns and was wondering why none of the recipes I find include salt? I thought all bread needed salt or it would taste like fluffy cardboard? Would it be ok to add some salt to either of these recipes (most likely the first one), or would that mess it up? How much should I add?

Recipe 1

Recipe 2

Thank you for your help!

Here's a third recipe for ensaymadas -- this one does contain salt.

In yeast dough recipes, salt affects the action of the yeast, so if you add salt to a recipe that doesn't call for it, the dough might not rise as much. However, it you aren't adverse to experimenting, go ahead!

(I've never made ensaymadas as they're so readily available here.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

What alot of the sourdough recipes have been saying is to let the dough rest in the mixing bowl for 30 min ....then add the salt and mix ....proceed as usual

this give time for full hydration and to get the yeasties going

tracey

this stuff looks yummy

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well, the one recipe calls for 5 Tablespoons of yeast !!!! I'm sure that's wrong. The other recipe calls for a good bit of butter; maybe they're assuming that you'll use salted butter.

FWIW, the rule of thumb is that you use 2% of the weight of flour in salt. So if your flour weighs 100 grams, you'd add 2 grams of salt. The salt does control the yeast as well as add flavor.

Also, with regard to the yeast, I believe the rule of thumb is 1% of the weight of the flour, and if I remember right, that's fresh yeast. To convert to instant or active dry you use 1/3 of that amount. IOW, you would use 1 gram of instant yeast for 300 grams of flour. Instant yeast does not need to be proofed, or soaked in water like the one recipe suggests. Just mix it in with the flour.