• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enrober Questions

Truffle Guy

I like my Perfect---don't love it.  I bought because of price, space it takes and power. It runs on one 110 outlet. Not many can do that. I would love a Selmi, but don't have 3-phase or want the heat of a converter. I think you can order them for single phase.  The Perfect gets the job done. It takes a getting used to, as I'm sure any of them do. The instructions are practically nonexistent. They have pretty good support. I usually run it for about 3 hours at a time, once a week. Busier times, more. The mini enrobers won't have a blower, detailer, bottomer, and other things the larger ones will. Plan a trip and come on down and try it out:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I like my Perfect---don't love it.  I bought because of price, space it takes and power. It runs on one 110 outlet. Not many can do that. I would love a Selmi, but don't have 3-phase or want the heat of a converter. I think you can order them for single phase.  The Perfect gets the job done. It takes a getting used to, as I'm sure any of them do. The instructions are practically nonexistent. They have pretty good support. I usually run it for about 3 hours at a time, once a week. Busier times, more. The mini enrobers won't have a blower, detailer, bottomer, and other things the larger ones will. Plan a trip and come on down and try it out:)

Oooh, maybe I can take a long weekend when I get down to Jackson and come play.  I'll keep that in the back of my mind...

And I spoke with Rob first about his Bakon Donna and he feels the same way Ruth does, likes it but does not love it.  He's not a fan of how small the bowl is, creates a big mess, and watching the demo online I'd have to agree with him, not impressed with how small the bowl is.  

If I did decide to go with the Dedy, TCF is in TX, so not too far.  Not close, but nothing is when it comes to large confectionary equipment  on the west coast.

Did you purchase your Perfect in Quebec Ruth and have them ship/import it to you? 

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)

Yes, I bought direct from them. I think it cost about $700 for the shipping and paper work. Tom at TCF is a nice guy and good to deal with. I think Tom reps a small enrober from Italy. Have you talked with him about it?

Edited by Chocolot (log)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

and to be specific - the bowl would be fine if the spout wasn't right in the middle of it. You lose a third of your bowl in the process.

Very good to know if I ever graduate from melters to an enrober.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom at TCF is a nice guy and good to deal with. I think Tom reps a small enrober from Italy. Have you talked with him about it?

Just wanted to give you an update that I finally took the time to email Tom about the Dedy, and we spoke on the phone today.  I also asked him about the Italian enrober, and I think that's what I'll end up going with.  Just talking to him about it made a lot of sense.  I think having the auto-tempering is going to be so handy, and if I wanted to get the Dedy capable of attaching the enrober eventually I would have to get the upgraded model which would cost only around $1000 less than the Prima, and the Prima comes with the vibrating table, where the Dedy you have to purchase separately for $1200.  Given those variables it would be silly to get a batch temperer when I can get an auto temperer for pretty much the same price.  And I can add the enrobing set up to the Prima later if I want pretty seamlessly.  For now I'll just use my Mol d' Art for hand dipping, until it becomes more cost effective to add the enrober.  The Prima also has a doser, so you can set the output for your shells and it will add just the right amount of chocolate to each cavity without all the mess of ladling the chocolate in the mold.  It's amazing what they've come up with these days!

Thanks for the advice on getting ahold of Tom Ruth, it was really helpful!

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)
  • Like 3