• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enrober Questions

Truffle Guy

My 3 year trek to starting a company is coming to a conclusion as I now have a space picked out and some revenue streams established. The next big step is moving to some production equipment that makes sense for me. I'd love to get an LCM machine but the price is high and the time to deliver is 4+ months. So, I'm looking for a quicker turnaround time and a solid machine.

Currently, I'm strongly considering the 50KG Mol D'art model Mol D'Art machines as it would be good for moulding which is a big part of my business. It also has an attachment so it can be used for enrobing. The capacity would work and the price is very reasonable. I'm considering 2-3 machines with 1 being an enrober. My concern is the dependability and tempering performance. The turnaround time is quick and would allow me to launch faster.

Anyone have experience with these machines for moulding as well as using the enrobing attachment?

I'm also interested in any other good machines that won't cost me $20,000+ that are strong for molding. I need to produce white/dark chocolate molds so I'd prefer 2 smaller machines at this point until I can afford the larger dual LCM machines. Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't actually worked with any of this equipment, but I look at it every chance I get and I've been impressed with the little 'chocolate factory in a box' that Chocolate World makes. It can be had in the US through Tomric plastics. It has a tempering unit with interchangable plates that allow you to fill molds efficiently, a shaker that drains back into the tempered chocolate. It also has a variety of attachments. There is an enrober and I believe a truffle grill. It is in the Chocolate World catalogue and here online.

It is available in a variety of sizes.

Kerry,

Thanks for the link. I also am looking at Tomric Tomric Machines ....any thoughts on that line. I'm looking at either the Ghana Top or Ghana Plus. A few other companies I'm considering are:

Hilliards Hilliards ...they have a few lines for moulding that I'm considering

ProBake ProBake Machines

Hacos Hacos Enrobers

Bakon.....I'd like to hear from anyone who has used their equipment Bakon Equipment

Kerry,

Thanks for the link.  I also am looking at Tomric  Tomric Machines ....any thoughts on that line.  I'm looking at either the Ghana Top or Ghana Plus.  A few other companies I'm considering are:

Hilliards  Hilliards ...they have a few lines for moulding that I'm considering

ProBake  ProBake Machines

Hacos  Hacos Enrobers

Bakon.....I'd like to hear from anyone who has used their equipment Bakon Equipment

The Ghana is the one from chocolate world, it is an elegant little machine. The Hillards units look like work horses, easy to repair and get parts for I understand. Haven't seen the others.

I'm not sure what kind of enrober we will be using at the upcoming Wybauw course.

I am looking at equipment to start my business and I am looking at the Perfect Equipment out of Quebec. The Automatic Tempering Machine with all the bells and whistles is $17,500 CAD. This will be my machine that is ready to go and I will pick up 2 wheel machines second hand for using milk and white.

I am looking at equipment to start my business and I am looking at the Perfect Equipment out of Quebec.  The Automatic Tempering Machine with all the bells and whistles is $17,500 CAD.  This will be my machine that is ready to go and I will pick up 2 wheel machines  second hand for using milk and white.

sounds like a good idea. any thoughts on where to find the machines second hand?

I used hilliard machines when I had my bakery. A large floor model for dark, and table top for white. They were easy to use, parts could be rushed to me if I needed them, and they would walk me through replacing parts if I needed them to do so. Easy company to work with. And the chocolate maintained a good temper. If i started another company I would probably use them again because of past experience.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

My 3 year trek to starting a company is coming to a conclusion as I now have a space picked out and some revenue streams established.  The next big step is moving to some production equipment that makes sense for me.  I'd love to get an LCM machine but the price is high and the time to deliver is 4+ months.  So, I'm looking for a quicker turnaround time and a solid machine. 

Currently, I'm strongly considering the 50KG Mol D'art model Mol D'Art machines as it would be good for moulding which is a big part of my business.  It also has an attachment so it can be used for enrobing.  The capacity would work and the price is very reasonable.  I'm considering 2-3 machines with 1 being an enrober.  My concern is the dependability and tempering performance.  The turnaround time is quick and would allow me to launch faster. 

Anyone have experience with these machines for moulding as well as using the enrobing attachment? 

I'm also interested in any other good machines that won't cost me $20,000+ that are strong for molding.  I need to produce white/dark chocolate molds so I'd prefer 2 smaller machines at this point until I can afford the larger dual LCM machines.  Thanks in advance for your help.

so are you looking at the moulder for 6250 euro and then enrobing unit for 4750 euro?

Yes...but I am also looking at some other machines. I need a quick turnaround and a dependable machine and my primary purpose is moulding.

My 3 year trek to starting a company is coming to a conclusion as I now have a space picked out and some revenue streams established.  The next big step is moving to some production equipment that makes sense for me.  I'd love to get an LCM machine but the price is high and the time to deliver is 4+ months.  So, I'm looking for a quicker turnaround time and a solid machine. 

Currently, I'm strongly considering the 50KG Mol D'art model Mol D'Art machines as it would be good for moulding which is a big part of my business.  It also has an attachment so it can be used for enrobing.  The capacity would work and the price is very reasonable.  I'm considering 2-3 machines with 1 being an enrober.  My concern is the dependability and tempering performance.  The turnaround time is quick and would allow me to launch faster. 

I'm also interested in any other good machines that won't cost me $20,000+ that are strong for molding.  I need to produce white/dark chocolate molds so I'd prefer 2 smaller machines at this point until I can afford the larger dual LCM machines.  Thanks in advance for your help.

so are you looking at the moulder for 6250 euro and then enrobing unit for 4750 euro?

Yes...but I am also looking at some other machines.  I need a quick turnaround and a dependable machine and my primary purpose is moulding. 

seems like a good system. When I visited Jaque Torres looked like all his equipment was Mol D Art.

Look at Perfect Equipment, they have a compact tempering machine (air2) & attachable  enrober (eno2) that I used doing an intership. It cost about $10k several years ago. It worked very nicely.

Mark

hi mark,

I'm looking at that system as well. i have their current brochure. the price for the air2 + enro2 is $8845.

how do the 2 machines attach and work together?

Look at Perfect Equipment, they have a compact tempering machine (air2) & attachable  enrober (eno2) that I used doing an intership. It cost about $10k several years ago. It worked very nicely.

Mark

hi mark,

I'm looking at that system as well. i have their current brochure. the price for the air2 + enro2 is $8845.

I only worked on it for 1 morning. It seemed to connect together very easily & worked well.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Mark

hi mark,

I only worked on it for 1 morning. It seemed to connect together very easily & worked well.

Mark

mark,

what I'm curious about. how does the tempered chocolate make it to the enro 2?

[quote name=mrose' date='Mar 7 2007, 07:49 AM

mark,

As you can sort of see in the picture, the enro2 sits over the chocolate holding tray & the pieces run under the fountain. The picture shows a base unit which controls the enro2, the air2 on top, and then the enro2 conveyor.

Mark

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

[quote name=mrose' date='Mar 7 2007, 07:49 AM

mark,

As you can sort of see in the picture, the enro2 sits over the chocolate holding tray & the pieces run under the fountain. The picture shows a base unit which controls the enro2, the air2 on top, and then the enro2 conveyor.

Mark

hi mark,

your explanation makes sense, but I don't see a picture.

hi mark,

your explanation makes sense, but I don't see a picture.

Look at: http://www.perfectinc.com/enro-2.html

the middle picture, the buttons on side are the base unit for the enro2, the white bar up is the air 2 & the conveyor is sitting ontop.

Mark

[/quote

that clears it up, one sits over the top of the other.

thanks for the help

luis

• 4 months later...

I know this thread has gone around quite a bit but I'm looking for answers on a couple specific machines. I'll be making a purchase this week and keep going back and forth on what choice to make.

The 2 machines I'm looking at are the JKV (30 or 100) and the Tomric Plus. I've been leaning heavily towards the Tomric machine but for the same price I can get a JKV machine with an enrober option and a moulding option. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of the tempering so I'm curious what feed back people have about these 2 specific machines.

I've had some good luck on getting some large clients right out the gate from starting my company so I've got some pretty large volumes to start producing ASAP. I've picked these machines due to availability and delivery speed. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks. Bill.

I think the Mold'art machines are very similar to the JKV machines if anyone has experience with them and can give feedback. The majority of my work is with airbrushed molds so I'm looking for a machine that gives a consistent and shiny temper. Thanks again.

I know this thread has gone around quite a bit but I'm looking for answers on a couple specific machines.  I'll be making a purchase this week and keep going back and forth on what choice to make.

The 2 machines I'm looking at are the JKV (30 or 100) and the Tomric Plus.  I've been leaning heavily towards the Tomric machine but for the same price I can get a JKV machine with an enrober option and a moulding option.  I don't want to sacrifice the quality of the tempering so I'm curious what feed back people have about these 2 specific machines. 

I've had some good luck on getting some large clients right out the gate from starting my company so I've got some pretty large volumes to start producing ASAP.  I've picked these machines due to availability and delivery speed.  Any feedback is much appreciated.  Thanks.  Bill.

I am looking at equipment as well. I am leaning heavily towards the easy1 by perfect equipment out of Quebec. I will have some wheel machines as well but this will be my MAMA!! I have a call in with a chocolaterie in Quebec to get feedback about the equipment. Apparantly they are using Perfect's equipment. I will curious to know who you went with.

The Tomric is the Ghana plus from chocolate world. It apparently works well 'out of the box' and has lots of optional equipment you can add. It's harder to clean than the JKV units. To change from milk to dark is a bit of a production. So you'll probably keep one kind of chocolate going in it all the time. It's a pretty little unit.

The chocolate cools more easily in wheel models where it is constantly being agitated in the room temperature air. I've heard some people say that the wheels can have some problems with malfunctions, but I've not heard it specifically for the JKV brand. Much easier to clean out and change from one chocolate to another.

I'm probably no help in your decision however.

Hey man!

I finally got my phone reconnected after getting my old one stolen....pretty funny!

Have you used one of these machines, yet? I know you got the specs and probably talked to some people, but beyond what wybauw said, I would really try and see these machines in the flesh and use one, if you haven't already. Regardless, it's a huge investment and something you are going to be using for several years, perhaps, so just give it some thought...lol...as if you weren't already.

Do you really need something on this scale now? I mean, if you are doing mostly molded work, and you know how to temper.....after talking wybauw you better know how to temper!....then why not get a few large melters and a heat gun and a ton of molds...it's what I would do....until you can get your hands on something you don't have any doubts or hesitations about....might be better to just have ALOT of seeding and laddling in your future....

I don't know alot about those machines, they might be good but....for that amount of cash....maybe convenience and timing isn't the only criteria....we both know you are in this thing for the long haul and starting up my own thing, I know that a little elbow grease at the beginning is better than most quick solutions. You're still going to have those machines AFTER this season....so....keep that in mind!

If you were enrobing I would understand the nearly desperate need for a continuous tempering machine, thoughts of hand dipping keep me up at night....but you're not doing much of that....we both saw how fast sean was....why not do that....it could be a baptism of chocolate or something!

To be honest, I would buy a few large volume melters from mol'dart or someone, a ton of molds, a heat gun, a laddle, a bunch of offsets, and a good apron.

Best!

Hi,

we are strongly thinking about buying one of the machines that are sold under the tomric brand in the US. these machines are produced byselmi in italy. in a few days we will have a demo in the selmi showroom in muelheim here in germany. if you want i can write you a little review with photos. as far as i know (i talked a lot with the selmi salesman here in germany) these machines are very easy to use (the sales rep says it can even be used by a women ;-) the only thing to do is calibrate the chocolate to ensure proper weighing, and if you dont use the machine for a few hours you have to pull the tempering button, to avoid overcrystallization, if you want to start working again you just have to push it and 15 mins. later your good to go... ive seen quite a few patisseries and chocolatiers in belgium and germany who own these machines... the medium sized machine ( 24 kg) can enrobe around 9000 pralines per day...

cheers

torsten s.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany