• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold cereal as a night time snack

JAZ

A few weeks ago I read an essay in the NYT dining section which started out with an observation that -- apparently -- lots of adults all over the U.S. eat cold cereal as a night time snack. The essay then went on to suggest that polenta (aka "hot cereal") would be a better choice.

The essay was pretty lame, in my opinion, but the author's contention about cold cereal surprised me. As someone who hasn't eaten cold cereal at any time of the day for more than 15 years, I can't imagine cold cereal being something anyone would eat at night (well, any time, actually, but I can understand the appeal at breakfast -- it's fast, easy and filling).

So, have I been missing something all these years? Is cold cereal a perfect snack for late night?

I understand that cereal is comfort food ... a nostalgic reminder of Saturday mornings watching cartoons on TV... long before text messaging, poor spellers could blame it on the cereal boxes read while eating breakfast ... words like "Trix," "Froot" and "Krispies" :hmmm: ... but perhaps people long for a bit of a carb boost before facing their dreams ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I thought the article was lame because the whole point of having cold cereal at night is that you don't have to cook anything -- you just pour cereal and milk into a bowl and eat. Polenta with eggs is wonderful, but it takes doing. But aside from that, I remember salivating over the photo.

As to cereal and milk as a nighttime snack -- no. But cereal and milk for dinner (slice in a banana if it's not too ripe) when I'm too lazy/tired to make anything? You betcha. :smile: Barbara's Oat Squares being the cereal of choice. :smile:

I don't eat cold cereal for breakfast, and I don't see the appeal at breakfast. However, I sometimes eat dry cereal (no milk) as a snack in the evening. I usually have some kind of multi-grain, low sugar, high fiber flakes around.

Most days, I don't eat a proper breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I find small amounts of dry cereal works for me in the evenings. I guess I don't really think of cereal as a "bedtime snack," though, but I don't tend to eat directly before going to bed.

I often have a bowl of cereal late at night when i get in from work, its quick and easy and instantly satisfying. Corn flakes with cold milk and a banana sliced on top is my favourite mmmmm :rolleyes:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I eat it several time a week for breakfast and am surprised that many said they don't eat it all.

Only occasionally do I have it at night as a snack Usually if I don't feel well or we have had a very late lunch and don't want to cook in the evening.

I'll go for the cornflakes and banana, too.

Count me in as an occasional evening cold cereal-eater. Preferably the same way as in the morning, with some ground flaxseed/blueberries, sliced banana, and vanilla soy milk. I thought it was a holdover behavior from college, but am glad I'm not the only one who still does it!

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

GF will happily eat cold cereal any time of day. If I wasn't there to cook she would probably live on it. That, and Peanut Butter Cups. :huh:

SB (never touches the stuff himself)

Put in me in the "mild yech" camp although I can see how it makes sense as a night time snack for true cereal lovers.

I did eat and like kiddie cereals when I was younger but as I grew older I lost my taste for them and didn't move wholeheartedly to adult cold cereals either. I'll usually have some around for breakfast in case other supplies are low and I need a quick breakfast.

One example I can think of though it that I do like muesli with yogurt and chopped apples and have sometimes eaten that as a snack.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I will go through spurts, no cereal for a year, then cereal every night for a month, no matter how hard I try, I cant eat "adult" cereal, just froot loops and if I can find it "blueberry muffin top cereal." My girlfriend loves cereal but isnt big on milk so I get to drink her sugary goodness when shes done.

Cold cereal is my default dinner when I have been at work way too long, the kids have already been fed by my husband, I have about 2 minutes to eat before starting baths and pj time with the kids, and I sure don't feel like cooking anything but know I will turn enormously cranky (well, even crankier) if I don't have some food. Happens about once or twice a month, usually when I am desperate enough to eat whatever cereal happens to be around, from Smart Start or Shredded Wheat to (shudder) Cap'n Crunch or Fruity Pebbles. Not proud of this, mind you, but there it is.

More frequently I'll take a handful of dry cereal to eat with medication I take right before bedtime that sets better in my stomach with a little food. Cheerios works a treat for this.

Ironically, I was not a huge cereal eater as a kid, instead prefering cold leftovers from dinner. :blink:

-Rinsewind

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

Oh, I forgot. Every couple of years, I'll devour an entire box of Cap'n Crunch.

My dear Cap'n Crunch. I always liked bad boys, you know. Wish he would reform as some of my other bad boys have at this stage in our lives, since he makes me sick, these days.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I have always loved cold cereal and will gladly eat it as a meal substitute or snack any time of day. It is fast, makes very little mess, is fairly inexpensive and can be nutritious.

My favorites are wheat chex, Grape-Nuts, Wheaties And Specail K. Sometimes I add a banana.

The summer before my senior year of high school, I lived off of cold cereal 9and managed to stay pretty healthy).

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Domestic hubby does this with cornflakes, sliced banana and milk. If we have Cheerios, he has that with the same (bananas and milk) for his midnight snacks.

I can't stand the taste of cereal or milk.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the wonderful and obvious night time snack (sparrowgrass was the closest) of cold ceral ON ice cream. Growing up my father would regularly have Grape Nuts or Honey Almond Delight or the like over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. It's not that different from a bowl of cereal and milk after all.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I'm suprised to see how widespread this is. I've always loved cereal, "grown up" boring cereals. I eat it late at night, or for a quick lunch, rather than breakfast.

My favorites are corn flakes, raisin bran, and grape nuts. Sometimes I like them the conventional way, with milk and banana or raisins (or seasonal fresh berries) in a bowl. Most times I'll eat handfuls of dry cereal, and wash them down with gulps of milk. I love the cereal, hate the soggies.

The perfect late night snack! I generally don't like cereal for breakfast; I don't find it filling enough unless it's a heavier cereal like grapenuts. If it's later on though, and all I want is something a little less substantial and crunchy, cereal is hard to beat.

Often it's a competition between "Do I want toast ... or cereal..."