• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Times for Snacking

Snacking is one of my favorite activities. I particularly like to snack late in the evening. What are your favorite snacking times? Do we have any morning snackers in the house? Afternoon snackers? Middle-of-the night snackers? Note the related topic of grazing may need its own thread because a grazer cannot truly be said to be snacking without real meals to act as reference points.

Thank you for considering this important topic.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

I wish I was a midmorning snacker because I always get hungry about two hours before lunch. Probably from reading egullet. However, there is nothing good to eat in my office, so i just hold off until lunch. I would probably eat less and more healthy food at lunch if I did snack around 10:00.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good snacks to keep at the office?

Ortolan and confit.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ron: Does your office have refrigeration or are we talking totally self-sufficient snacks? Also, are you talking about bringing a snack from home or keeping it long-term in the office? Me, I used to keep a big tub of hard pretzels in the office and I'd bring a little zip-loc bag full of cheese or whatever into the office everyday -- it became second nature to throw it in my briefbag daily. I'd eat that plus pretzels sometimes as a mid-morning snack, sometimes as a mid-afternoon snack, and once in awhile as a midnight snack.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In AM;

a yoghurt, or seasonal fruit.

in PM

sugar snap peas or hothouse cucumber or sliced jicama (perhaps with hot sauce).

These are the snacks I plan. Then there are the cakes, bagels, chips that others bring in to share.

beachfan

Among my friends and coworkers I am known as Mr. Snackman. I love snacks anytime, day or night. I love trying new snack products and I've always been fascinated by food engineering. Currently I always have a supply of Cliff bars in my desk drawer, including the new Cliff Mojo bars (less sweet, more crunchy, thumbs up), but I'm also addicted to Dots. The only time I don't really like to snack is during movies - no popcorn, no sodas - it just distracts from the movie. However, I feel compelled snack while watching TV (must be the commercials). I still eat semi-regular meals, but they tend to be smaller, especially in the evening. Snacks for dinner? You bet!

For me, snacks are almost any food served in small, bitesized portions and not necessarily prepackaged. Being able to be eaten with your hands is also helpful.

They sell pre-packaged vegetables like carrots in individual serving bags. Bring in a yogurt or sour cream dip that has a decent shelf life and you are set for a week or two. You can even steal some of the salad dressing that is usually in the office fridge if you do not feel like bringing in a dip.

Now that I work from home, my entire kitchen is fair for snacking, 24/7.

...or sliced jicama (perhaps with hot sauce).

Uuuuuuummmmm. Jícama, cold, with fresh lime juice & salt. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You've got to be kidding me! No snacking--that's an outrage! Snacking and snack foods are one of life's great joys. I love snacking on fruit and lately, cold cereal--no milk. Chocolate is always great too--but only the "trashy" chocolate brands (like Hershey's miniatures, kisses, etc.) qualify in my book for snacking. If we're talking about Maison du Chocolat--that counts as a religious experience--not a snacking experience.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

those granola bars with the cinnamon and raisons are probably the best thing on the planet. however, i generally enjoy eating about 3 or 4 of them, which approaches crossing the over the "snack" border into "an extra meal that this fat bastard didn't need" country.

In the morning(for ya'll - I work midnights), a dollop of hummus and a pita bread with a glass of red wine, or maybe some cheese. Then it's lights out........ Once you work odd hours, any food is good at any time of the day or night. I love spicy stuff in the morning.

Stop Family Violence

I can start snacking about 30 minutes after breakfast if I don't watch myself. Favorite time is after dinner though. Consume about 6-10 no sugar added ice pops a night. Key is to set a stopping time and brush teeth.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Best snack I ever had was at a condo on the North Shore of Lake Superior at about 10:30 pm -- a bacon, lettuce and hummus (no decent fresh tomatos to be had in northern Minnesota Thanksgiving weekend), on toasted levain bread from Acme Bakery in Berkeley (thanks to my freezer). Me, three close friends whom I've known for over 20 years, a great bottle of Russian River pinot noir, but that sandwich was to die for. And, 10:30 pm is my favorite time for a snack -- and always savory, never sweet.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

a bacon, lettuce and hummus (no decent fresh tomatos to be had in northern Minnesota Thanksgiving weekend), on toasted levain bread from Acme Bakery in Berkeley (thanks to my freezer).

I could use one of those right now--but then I'd sink in the pool (going swimming) and then they'd have to rescue me--it would be a terrible mess so I guess it'll have to wait. Anyway, if I had it now, I'd suppose it would qualify for breakfast, not a snack. Of course, I don't eat bacon (I know, I know) and I'd probably get kicked out of the Y (it's the YM/WHA)--but that has nothing to do with snacking anyway.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com