• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked duck thighs

Dave the Cook

The other day, I came across duck thighs for $1.39 a pound (less, I'll point out, than the usual price for chicken thighs, and less than duck leg quarters [$2.79] -- what's up with that?) Anyway, I already had some pork belly in the smoker, so I popped the duck in alongside. After two hours over maple at 100F, I wrapped them and stuck them in the freezer.

Now what?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Now sear them in a hot pan for a few minutes, pour in half-a-bottle of pinot noir, a drizzle of maple syrup, let it all reduce, serve with deep-fried green-onions.

Or go in the other direction - do a smoked confit - pack the thighs with kosher salt and fresh herbs overnight, then rinse and cook in fat (preferably duck fat but anything works) for 6-8 hours at 250 degrees. Let cool, shred and serve - over greens, stuffed in crepes or tortillas, in ravioli, whatever. Good luck. That is a dirt-cheap price for duck.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

Hmm. I've got four, so I could go both ways. Smoked confit ravioli sounds like it should be illegal, so that's definitely worth a try.

Here's another question, though. These have a fair amount of extraneous skin -- like one half to one inch on each piece. (They look like duck meat puddles.) Has anyone worked with smoked duck fat? Is it worth doing some trimming and rendering?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Hmm. I've got four, so I could go both ways. Smoked confit ravioli sounds like it should be illegal, so that's definitely worth a try.

Here's another question, though. These have a fair amount of extraneous skin -- like one half to one inch on each piece. (They look like duck meat puddles.) Has anyone worked with smoked duck fat? Is it worth doing some trimming and rendering?

Yep, trim it and render it. And smoked confit ravioli would be amazing. Serve it in a little butter, fresh sage and red-wine reduction.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne