• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jacques Pepin Book

srhcb

Jacques Pepin's latest book Chez Jacques: Traditions and Rituals of a Cook is going to be available soon.

From the Amazon blurb: Of the 20-plus cookbooks Jacques Pépin has written, Chez Jacques is his most personal and engaging. Now starring in his tenth PBS series, Pépin ranks among America’s most beloved cooking teachers, and this book shows us why.

The book’s 100 recipes—for soups and appetizers, main courses, side dishes, and desserts—are Pépin’s own favorites among the thousands he has created over a lifetime of cooking. Using readily available ingredients and relying upon familiar techniques, these are the dishes he makes when preparing food at his Connecticut home. But Chez Jacques is more than a collection of well-liked recipes; it’s also a captivating sentimental journey. Each dish is introduced by a recollection—of picking dandelion greens for a spring salad, of buying fresh eggs from the local farmer—that invites readers to share in the traditions and rituals of Pépin’s most intimate circle.

This treasury of great food, lore, and memory is exquisitely illustrated with a sampling of Pépin’s paintings, as well as hundreds of color photographs of the finished dishes and of Pépin in all his “natural habitats”—pitching boules with a group of friends, savoring a glass of chilled rosé in the afternoon sun, painting landscapes, designing menus, and, of course, working in his kitchen.

I've always admired Jacques Pepin, not only for his contributions to the world of food and cooking, but because of his elegant manner. He almost seems to be a gentleman from another time, and perhaps he is?

SB (ordered his copy already) :biggrin:

Jacques Pepin's latest book Chez Jacques: Traditions and Rituals of a Cook is going to be available soon.

From the Amazon blurb: Of the 20-plus cookbooks Jacques Pépin has written, Chez Jacques is his most personal and engaging. Now starring in his tenth PBS series, Pépin ranks among America’s most beloved cooking teachers, and this book shows us why.

The book’s 100 recipes—for soups and appetizers, main courses, side dishes, and desserts—are Pépin’s own favorites among the thousands he has created over a lifetime of cooking. Using readily available ingredients and relying upon familiar techniques, these are the dishes he makes when preparing food at his Connecticut home. But Chez Jacques is more than a collection of well-liked recipes; it’s also a captivating sentimental journey. Each dish is introduced by a recollection—of picking dandelion greens for a spring salad, of buying fresh eggs from the local farmer—that invites readers to share in the traditions and rituals of Pépin’s most intimate circle.

This treasury of great food, lore, and memory is exquisitely illustrated with a sampling of Pépin’s paintings, as well as hundreds of color photographs of the finished dishes and of Pépin in all his “natural habitats”—pitching boules with a group of friends, savoring a glass of chilled rosé in the afternoon sun, painting landscapes, designing menus, and, of course, working in his kitchen.

I've always admired Jacques Pepin, not only for his contributions to the world of food and cooking, but because of his elegant manner.  He almost seems to be a gentleman from another time, and perhaps he is?

SB (ordered his copy already) :biggrin:

I agree, he is truly a man from another time and place, and I will surely buy this book. When will the series be aired?

I agree, he is truly a man from another time and place, and I will surely buy this book. When will the series be aired?

Of course, while Jacques Pepin truly is from another place, he somehow seems timeless.

Ever since reading about it in his autobiogtaphy I've been unable to reconcile the information that he actually read the original manuscript of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking with the fact that it doesn't seem like he could possibly be that old?

SB (what a full and wonderful life he's had! :biggrin: )

a new PBS series with Jacques Pepin!  He's probably my overall all time favorite TV chef/food personality (after Julia, of course)

There's no confirmation yet on a companion tv series for the new book, but I've contacted WGBH, the Boston station that produced his other series, to see if anything is planned.

SB (hoping :cool: )

a new PBS series with Jacques Pepin!  He's probably my overall all time favorite TV chef/food personality (after Julia, of course)

There's no confirmation yet on a companion tv series for the new book, but I've contacted WGBH, the Boston station that produced his other series, to see if anything is planned.

SB (hoping :cool: )

Please start a new thread if you hear anything from WGBH. I really love to watch that guy (I mean M. Pepin, sir) cook, especially his knife technique. I also like to (respectfully) imitate his accent while cooking with my (French) girlfriend.

What seperates Jacques from other writers is his earlier books culminating in the 'Art of Cooking' Vol 1 and Vol 2. Not only are the ingrediants listed but there are step by step instructions with pictures on how to properly prepare the ingrediants. Want to debone a baby lamb or a chicken, Jaques shows how.

He is also a true gentleman and respons to queries through his staff.

I just purchased another hard cover set on eBay and gave to my daughter.-Dick

I have my new copy of Chez Jacques in hand. :smile:

I've only had time to look at the pictures, (of food, family & friends, and Jacques' paintings), but they alone are worth the price of admission.

Jacques Pepin hardly requires praise from me for his contributions to cooking, and most everyone already seems to share my admiration of him as a person, but I can add that seeing current photos of him now that he's over seventy years of age makes me view growing older with a lot less trepidation. :biggrin:

SB (especially likes the photo on page 94) :cool:

I had a TERRIFIC crush on this man, when I was 12. I am going to get someone to check this out from the library for me, as soon as it is available. I cooked a LOT from his books in the late 70's.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

We always loved Jacques...he's always smiling; in a good mood. He's gentle; and passionate about cooking.

And, it was refreshing to read that he and his wife usually have a cocktail when they get home. Then they indulge in two bottles of wine while making and eating dinner together.

Certainly helped us with our, "we drink too much wine" thoughts...as we also go through two bottles of wine a night while making and eating dinner.

(Read this in the New York Times, a few months ago).

Philly Francophiles

This is going to seem like an odd complaint, but I wonder if anybody else who buys the book will have the same experience.

The binding is odd. The pages don't always fan out evenly. It's like they're bundled in groups of 10-12, but because the spine (?) doesn't lay flat against the cover the book lays opened in little 10-12 page steps.

It's disconcerting.

I'm no expert in bookbinding. In fact, I had to go through many books in my collection to be sure this wasn't just my imagination.

Otherwise I love the book so far, and will report on its more pertinent aspects soon.

SB (I see it was printed in China, if that has anything to do with it? :unsure: )