• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The most entertaining recipe you'll ever read

JLam

I had a good laugh while reading the following recipe. I did a search and it seems this hasn't been posted before.

http://www.nanbelegorn.com/sandwich/

Basically, this young kid decided he was going to make the mother of all sandwiches. It is...well, just read it. What delighted me about it was the kid's unbridled enthusiasm, and his sense of fun. I was smiling the whole way.

Enjoy!

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

From the out-of-print Pates & Terrines, An Unparalleled Presentation of One of the Most Versatile of the Culinary Arts by Friedrich W. Ehlert, Edouard Lonque, Michael Rafael, and Frank Wesel, page 129:

A Truffled Trophy - Wild Boar Terrine

... without re-typing the entire recipe, the gist of this Wild Boar Terrine is that one starts with the whole head of a young boar.

The head should be cut from the body with as much of the neck as possible. Bristles are removed by scalding the head. It is best to begin with the water at 113 degrees and to increase the temperature slowly to about 140 degrees maximum. Shave off the bristles with a sharp knife (or razor blade), taking care not to damage the rind. Then soak the boar's head for at least 12 hours.

>>>Instructions for brining the head<<<

The inside of the boar's head is removed from the lower jaw side. Cut the skin between the bones of the lower jaw and cut the skin free of the cranial bone at each side. Cut out the ear muscles but leave the ears in place on the head. This leaves only the skin and the flesh attached to it. In the meantime, make the stuffing to go in the head and prepare the other ingredients to be included in the stuffing.

After soaking, dry the head thoroughly. Place on a board. Carefully sew up the eye, ear and snout opening to prevent the stuffing escaping....

It goes on to explain how the forcemeat is placed in the snout of the boar, after over three hours of cooking the head is covered in a dark chaudfroid or brown aspic and served whole. The snout itself is cut into rounds for serving and the suggested accompaniments include a rose-hip sauce with apples, mushrooms, or glazed chestnuts braised in white wine.

I've always wanted to make it but A) couldn't find a whole boar's head and B) couldn't find any friends willing to either help with the procedure or help eat it afterwards.

I had a good laugh while reading the following recipe. I did a search and it seems this hasn't been posted before.

http://www.nanbelegorn.com/sandwich/

Basically, this young kid decided he was going to make the mother of all sandwiches. It is...well, just read it. What delighted me about it was the kid's unbridled enthusiasm, and his sense of fun. I was smiling the whole way.

Enjoy!

Okay, frying bacon in butter is artery overkill, but that obviously wasn't a concern for this one-time sandwich. Did he not know that bacon provides its own grease?

Also, is that powdered sugar on the finished sandwich sitting on the stove burner, a la Monte Cristo? I didn't see it in the ingredient picture but I did see the feta cheese. But that wouldn't be powdery like what's seen in the picture.

I admire the finished sandwich in a circus-sideshow-freak sort of way. He definitely has raised the sandwich bar, so to speak.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Also, is that powdered sugar on the finished sandwich sitting on the stove burner, a la Monte Cristo? I didn't see it in the ingredient picture but I did see the feta cheese. But that wouldn't be powdery like what's seen in the picture.

Looks like it's the parmesan cheese (dry Kraft style).

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

As far as cheese, the ingredient list says there's swiss, provolone, cheddar, feta, and parmesan on there. You can see the picture with the sliced cheese layered at the bottom, and two pictures later you can see the feta and powdered parmesan on top.

There must have been some additions to the sandwich before the next picture was taken, as some of the onion rings have moved around, the parmesan is harder to see (maybe it soaked up the grease?), and the braunschweiger has been smeared on the top pieces of bread. In the scale picture, you can see the canister of parmesan cheese they used.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog