• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

risotto

highchef

g'day,

2 of my preferred rice dishes:

1) rice and peas (risi bisi), and

2) rice with meat balls cooked in a tomato sauce (tonite dinner)

the secret of a good risotto, as I understand it, is to know when it's cooked. It should be all'onda (weavy), not too dry and not too liquid.

Traditionally the dish is finished off (and I never do this) by blending in a tablespoon of butter to give it a creamier consistency. I would think that the additional butter would make the dish too fatty.

Dario

Dario, how do you do the rice w/meatballs? Is this made as a risotto? or just like regular meatballs in red sauce but served w/rice instead of pasta?

Thanks for the help.

I made risotto last friday and added some mushrooms, pretty good but next I'll add some shrimp.

g'day,

Dario, how do you do the rice w/meatballs? Is this made as a risotto? or just like regular meatballs in red sauce but served w/rice instead of pasta?

Thanks for the help.

I made risotto last friday and added some mushrooms, pretty good but next I'll add some shrimp.

hi,

the risotto and the sauce are cooked separately untill the last minutes (depends on how you like it, al dente or not). When the basic risotto, done the usual way - onions, rice, white wine and hot broth, is almost done add to it the meat balls and sauce and finish it off to taste. I forgot to mention that, apart from butter, it is also traditional to blend in some grated parmigian cheese (if you like it of course). You can have additional parmigian cheese available for those that, like me, like lots of it.

Dario

PS. I guess you could also cook the rice the basic way (boil it or in a ricer) and serve it covered with the sauce (any sauce) - but I think that this way the rice does not gain the taste of the sauce that goes with it.

Edited by dario (log)