• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nashville To Memphis

jrichman

I will be driving from Nashville to Memphis on a Friday night and want a few recomendations about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way into my drive for some good local eats. I will also have breakfast, lunch and dinner in Memphis on a Saturday and Breakfast (or brunch) and lunch in Memphis on Sunday (potential lunch or dinner on the way back from Memphis to Nashville). Now this is my first time to Memphis, and potentially my only opportunity there - so where should I eat - I want the best local food...and I love BBQ, but it does not all have to be BBQ!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Here's for when you get here. But on the way?? I mean I've driven that stretch plenty but I've never been on the lookout for an eatery.

But that link is primarily for downtown locations. There's more good stuff in Midtown.

Brother Juniper's on Walker in Memphis state area is great for breakfast.

We go to Bosco's a lot on Madison off Cooper.

I'll ask my daughter again.

I'm thinking any area because you are mobile right?

Here's for when you get here. But on the way?? I mean I've driven that stretch plenty but I've never been on the lookout for an eatery.

But that link is primarily for downtown locations. There's more good stuff in Midtown.

Brother Juniper's on Walker in Memphis state area is great for breakfast.

We go to Bosco's a lot on Madison off Cooper.

I'll ask my daughter again.

I'm thinking any area because you are mobile right?

I would prefer downtown and I would prefer BBQ and Local Cuisine! But if there is something worth driving to then I can drive! Also wouldn't mind a great meal in a neighboring state!

We live in San Diego now, but here are some places we go when we visit. Caveat emptor: our friends who still live there sometimes don't want the same things we do. i can get fresh fish and towers of pretty veggies here, so i may want fried chicken livers when i'm in memphis for a weekend.

Cozy Corner BBQ is the best. it's a little north of downtown, near st jude. not luxury atmosphere. very good, long smoked meat, white bread, nice folks. 745 N Parkway, Memphis, 38105 - (901) 527-9158

Do not make the mistake of only visiting the famous place right downtown, you'll miss out.

i also like Saigon Le in midtown, the lemongrass chicken, noodles with sliced beef, and mussels wih french butter are great. ask for the extra salt/pepper/lemon mix with the mussels.

Boscos is great too, we were just there last month and it's much better than it was when we lived there and it was new. i don't like breakfast, but i agree on brother juniper's--quality, local food.

The cooper young area in midtown is a good place to get a meal and a drink. the beauty shop is very good and funky (i will confess one of the owners is a friend) and Soul Fish is great for catfish/southern specialties.

If you live far from Memphis, it's interesting to note that Memphis has different tamales than other places (perhaps places with more long-settled hispanic populations). they do weird things like put chili on top, and for some reason, they're great. Belmont Grill (east memphis--also has chicken livers) Corky's BBQ, and P&H cafe have the good tamales. P&H is a dive bar with food, local history, and sometimes live music, on madison in midtown, and i haven't been there in a few years, but i have fond memories.

I am driving from Nashville to Memphis pretty late at night, so a food stop on the way probably is not all that important - will most likely just get something kinda quick - anything directly off of Interstate 40 that I can grab quickly. My plan is to hit 2 BBQ places and i think that they are gonna be rendezvous and interstate. I'll report results back when I return. Thanks for all the dinner recomendations also, may try one of those places as well. Any more ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

I am driving from Nashville to Memphis pretty late at night, so a food stop on the way probably is not all that important - will most likely just get something kinda quick - anything directly off of Interstate 40 that I can grab quickly.  My plan is to hit 2 BBQ places and i think that they are gonna be rendezvous and interstate.  I'll report results back when I return.  Thanks for all the dinner recomendations also, may try one of those places as well. Any more ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

Here's a must-eat kind of place:I-40 Exit 108 go South a few miles to Hwy. 412 E. Hay's Smokehouse 16319 Hwy. 412E Lexington, TN (731) 967-3222 You can Google them and find a great write-up by Southern Foodways about various whole-hog BBQ places in the area. I can testify to their product. It's real good pig. In Memphis my faves are: Cozy Corner for their Cornish hen, A&R for the sandwich and the caramel cake, Central for ribs and Paynes' for the sauce. But you know, it's all good. Have a great trip.

I go to my hometown about once a year to see my parents and I just can't stay away from Payne's, even after I've tried the others. Hotly debated, I know, but I always feel Payne's doesn't get quite enough attention, so it's my job to get it more!

A place we just started going to and love is Alcenia's, a newish soul food restaurant on N. Main, just above downtown (you can take the trolley). Fantastic fried chicken and fried catfish, great sides, and just the friendliest service possible. Also, her frozen lemon icebox pie is something I dream about the rest of the year. Just a great place.

Personally, I'd skip the Rendezvous, but it's good and an institution and all 'at. They get you in and out so fast that you could go, have a beer and sample the ribs, and then go eat somewhere else.

Please report back. I'm heading down in April and I'd love to hear what you liked.

Susan

Edited by SusanGiff (log)

I had a great time with some excellent food. Thanks to all the recomendations.

On the way from Nashville to Memphis I stopped at the waffle house and had grilled chicken, hash browns, and texas toast

gallery_26061_4408_5670.jpg

In Memphis I had some excellent ribs at

Rendezvous

gallery_26061_4408_27905.jpg

and at Interstate BBQ

gallery_26061_4408_1066.jpg

When I got back to Nashville I had a great pulled pork platter at Rippy's

gallery_26061_4408_3286.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions about BBQ in Nashville or Memphis and I'll do my best to help out. I have been to a bunch of Nashville places but only the 2 places above in Memphis.

• 1 month later...
Here's a must-eat kind of place:I-40 Exit 108 go South a few miles to Hwy. 412 E. Hay's Smokehouse  16319 Hwy. 412E  Lexington, TN  (731) 967-3222  You can Google them and find a great write-up by Southern Foodways about various whole-hog BBQ places in the area. I can testify to their product. It's real good pig. In Memphis my faves are: Cozy Corner for their Cornish hen, A&R for the sandwich and the caramel cake, Central for ribs and Paynes' for the sauce. But you know, it's all good. Have a great trip.

Just a quick FYI -- Ownership has recently changed (Mr. Hays has retired) and the initial report I've seen was of a lesser quality. Caveat emptor...

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.