• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bone in lamp chops

This question has been nagging me for a while.  Is it alright to use your hands to eat the rib bones off a lamp chop?  Just curious.

I've got no problem with it. That's how I usually eat them, but then I have them at home-- I'm too cheap to order them in a restaurant! But if I ever had occasion to have them in a restaurant, I'd probably be couth and take the 'eye' off the bone with a knife and fork. But I'd make damn sure I took the rest of it home to gnaw on the bones in private! :wub:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Absolutely permitted, even in the very finest of restaurants. Among other things permitted with fingers are asparagus, crostini, chicken wings, marrow bones, but in the case of meats only on the conditions that the majority of meat has been eaten previously with knife and fork and that it is done with a minimum of noise.

Absolutely permitted, even in the very finest of restaurants. Among other things permitted with fingers are asparagus, crostini, chicken wings, marrow bones, but in the case of meats only on the conditions that the majority of meat has been eaten previously with knife and fork and that it is done with a minimum of noise.

aawwww-- does that mean no 'yummy' sounds allowed? (Or aloud?) :rolleyes:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

steamed artichokes and corn on the cob

cream puffs!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

BruniBlog just made a post about this. I have no problem picking up the bones off a lamb rack or squab leg, even in the best restaurants. I'm a little iffy on salads, in which some people enjoy eating the occasional leaf with their fingers. In some restaurants that's fine but I've never really felt that urge to. In general, however, I LOVE eating with my hands.

Obviously petits fours, chocolates, and other post-dinner sweet and finger-friendly

I recently (last October) catered a fundraiser for a local congressman and served lamb lollies, they were definately the hit of the party. I didnt see anyone attempt to eat them with a fork and knife, I think everyone ate them in one bite and followed the plate around for more. Food is twice as good when its fun in my opinion. It must be PC if politicians eat them that way.