• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand Mixer vs Immersion Blender/Hand Mixer

waterdogs

There was a previous similar topic, but it got sort of hijacked, so I hope it is OK to start another one.

My old 6 speed Waring hand blender gave up the ghost today. I knew something was coming when it lost a couple of its speeds over the last few months. Now it has started sparking, so I am ready for a change.

But I am so confused by everything out there. I use the hand mixer for things such as quick breads and whipping cream; and when I need to blend soup I go get the blender and try to pour carefully.

I have been thinking about an immersion blender and see at least a couple (eg, Bamix and KA) that seem to imply they can handle both mixing and blending jobs. But can an immersion blender mix banana bread ? Can any immersion blender do this ? Or am I looking at just replacing the hand mixer and continuing to ponder the immersion blender?

Any and all thoughts gratefully welcome.

MEJ

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

I tried whipping cream a little while ago with a hand blender. Within seconds, I had butter - or at least, it was well on it's way there, apparently having leapfrogged the 'whipped cream' stage entirely. This was in someone else's kitchen, with no whip of any kind available (we ended up going out and buying clotted cream, which is thick enough already - man that was a damn good banoffee pie :biggrin: ).

However, I have a hand blender at home which I use for blending soups - even though I have a regular blender. It's just So much less messy to blend the soup right in the pan, particularly if I make a lot and would have to blend in batches in the regular blender.

I've never tried using it for mixing cake mixtures etc, since I have other gizmos for that.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

An immersion blender is not a substitute for a hand-held mixer. Some of the more powerful ones can whip cream and egg whites, but they're not designed for other mixing tasks. No banana bread, in other words.

I personally think immersion blenders are inefficient and a waste of valuable kitchen space, but I know I'm in the minority.

.Or am I looking at just replacing the hand mixer and continuing to ponder the immersion blender?

This is the answer to your question. You need the hand blender. The immersion blender is a very nice, and handy, luxury.

You already know everything that the hand blender does, and the immersion blender won't do a lot of it.

But I love my immersion blender and use it for soups, gravies, hot chocolate and other hot liquids, which you can blend right in the pan; and some drinks, like milk shakes, which you can blend right in the glass. I also use it for the kind of quick blending for which I would otherwise use a whisk (or sometimes even a fork), like stirring the egg yolks and key lime juice into the Eagle Brand milk.

It's a very handy tool, and you can find inexpensive ones for $15-25 (like mine) that work just fine.

But it's definitely a supplement to the hand blender, and not a replacement.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

.Or am I looking at just replacing the hand mixer and continuing to ponder the immersion blender?

This is the answer to your question. You need the hand blender. The immersion blender is a very nice, and handy, luxury.

You already know everything that the hand blender does, and the immersion blender won't do a lot of it.

But I love my immersion blender and use it for soups, gravies, hot chocolate and other hot liquids, which you can blend right in the pan; and some drinks, like milk shakes, which you can blend right in the glass. I also use it for the kind of quick blending for which I would otherwise use a whisk (or sometimes even a fork), like stirring the egg yolks and key lime juice into the Eagle Brand milk.

It's a very handy tool, and you can find inexpensive ones for $15-25 (like mine) that work just fine.

Perfect. Thank you all for your thoughts. Hand blender it is.

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Perfect. Thank you all for your thoughts. Hand blender it is.

Um...mixer. Too late for me to edit, but I meant "hand mixer." As opposed to an immersion/stick blender.

But I think you figured it out.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Agreed with most of what's upthread, but there are a few things, like pureeing vegetables, that a hand (immersion) blender makes so much easier and that can't really be done with a hand mixer.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3