• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fage Greek Yogurt in the Lower Mainland?

I wasn't looking in the yogurt section when I was there yesterday, but you might want to try Minerva's Mediterranean Deli at 3207 West Broadway. They carry all manner of Greek foodstuffs. Phoning ahead might be easier: (604) 733-3954.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

If you're trying to find some nice thick yummy yogurt, try Liberty. They are a brand from Quebec, and it is really good. I don't know how it compares to Greek yogurt, but it is much, much better than any other yogurt out there.

I love Liberty yogourt :wub: In fact, I just finished eating some of the wild blackberry Mediterranean kind for breakfast! The lemon flavour is THE best, in my humble opinion. I've tried most of the other flavours that are available in Vancouver but I still like lemon the most. I haven't seen the dulce de leche here yet though.

The vanilla one is also very good. While it still doesn't compare to the yogourt I had in Greece, it's still way better than some of the other brands out there. You can find Liberty yogourt at select Safeways, Choices, and a lot of other places.

I like the strawberry a lot too. The plain one is one of the best I've tried. I think the only one I don't like is the plum&walnut, but that's just because I don't like 'bits' in yogurt.

Further to Mooshmouse's suggestion, Parthenon is in the same section of Broadway as Minerva and has all kinds of Greek stuff.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely try Liberty - there's a Choices in Surrey now that's not far from me.

I've heard GREAT things about Fage - but I'll take what I can get! I'm just so tired of icky, watery yogurts, and want something luscious and thick. The Liberty flavours sound great, too!

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone.  I'll definitely try Liberty - there's a Choices in Surrey now that's not far from me.

I've heard GREAT things about Fage - but I'll take what I can get!  I'm just so tired of icky, watery yogurts, and want something luscious and thick.  The Liberty flavours sound great, too!

Thanks!

I thought I'd also add that if you can't find the Fage, Liberty Plain Organic Yogurt is sold in a two pack at Costco. I think it's $7.69 for the two, but I could be wrong (it's around that price point).

I agree that you can check Parthenon for some greek style yogurts. Also I'd suggest checking some of the Persian markets in North Vancouver for persian yogurt, which you may also enjoy.

I think I saw Fage at Trader Joe's last time I went south of the border too. A long way to go for yogurt. But if you have a really craving it may just be worth it!

Cheers!

Haven't seen Fage yogurt anywhere but must add my voice to those who recommend Liberty: their flavours are fantastic and are worth the extra price.

The closest I have found to Greek yogurt is the 10% plain Mediterranean style, but it isn't as widely available as the flavoured types. Whole Foods and Capers definitely carry it, though.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

And if it is not thick enough, you can always drain it in a cheesecloth for a couple of hours. Should help.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

FAGE yogurt isn't available in Canada due to the high tariff imposed on importing the product. Unfortunately, you'd have to cross the border for FAGE.

But I'm sure you could work a trade agreement out with a local American...say discounted Rx for some FAGE? (I kid, I kid)

Yay! I'm so glad you like it! :wub: I made a new convert out of my friend's mom recently. She was visiting from Shanghai (she used to live here), and apparently the yogourt there is pret-ty bad (really sugary and really high fat content).

• 2 weeks later...

That's the only flavour that hasn't appealed to me so far. Years ago, we tried a mocha yogourt that came in fancy clear containers that had pedestals, and it didn't taste good at all... It basically tasted like sour coffee :blink:

Do try the Mocha Liberty - it is wonderful! It's more like dessert than yogurt and very thick and rich.

It is absolutely delicious and one of my all time favourite treats! The consistency is like whipped cream and creme fraiche with just a bit of acidity (not sure if a yogurt like Fage is rich and more acidic in the classical yogurt sense as I've never had a chance to try it).

The mocha flavour is perfect; not too strong and not too sweet.

The real problem is the 9% butterfat content as it's way too easy to eat the whole container at one sitting!

It is absolutely delicious and one of my all time favourite treats! The consistency is like whipped cream and creme fraiche with just a bit of acidity (not sure if a yogurt like Fage is rich and more acidic in the classical yogurt sense as I've never had a chance to try it).

The mocha flavour is perfect; not too strong and not too sweet.

The real problem is the 9% butterfat content as it's way too easy to eat the whole container at one sitting!

Oh I agree - it's way too easy to eat the whole thing! I've tried almost all of the Liberte Mediterranee flavors, and Moka is definitely my favorite. Wow! Dulce de leche flavor has me intrigued, I haven't seen that one yet - and that's probably a good thing!

Liberte also makes a 'dessert' yogurt in Coconut, Apple Pie & Orange Marzipan although for some reason I can't find it on their website. Those flavors are all really good too and I think their fat content is about half of what the Mediterranee is - somewhere around 4%. Again, I could eat the whole container in one sitting, they're just too good.

If you're looking for a great version of Greek style yogurt, try the Astro Balkan style plain yogurt at 6% MF, (mentioned up-thread) it's the red & white container with the cow pictured on the front available at Safeway, Superstore and a few other groceries. Having tried Fage in the US, this one would be the most comparable for plain yogurts that we have here in Canada.

Greek style yoghurts are available at most middle-eastern grocery stores. There are several in the West End that carry the stuff, e.g. Aria on Bidwell just off Robson. Nice and thick, definitely a very different product than the Liberty yoghurt mentioned above..