• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tasting place in Trenton area?

Jeff L

I'm hoping you folks can assist me with this one. I 've been asked by a large client to help arrange a surprise wine tasting/appetizer affair close to Trenton to take place the last week of March for a guy who is leaving for a new job.

The honoree (like me) is a big red wine fan, particularly higher end cabs. They think there will be between 50-75 people coming from all parts of NJ and Delaware (this is why Trenton or immediate vicinity is needed)

They envision either a private room or taking over the place on an off night. As this is E-Gullet, quality food goes without saying, but do you know of any place that can pair great wines with appetizers for a group this size???

What about Rat's in Hamilton? I've never been, but know several people who enjoyed it.

I agree completely. In fact its the only place that comes to mind in the Trenton area. Good luck and please let us know how it went.

And/or, contact the Society of Wine Educators and ask if there is someone in the area (Katie Loeb, white courtesy phone...) who can conduct a tasting for you! Work with a great caterer, and you can have it wherever you want in the area. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks for the posts. I think I will pm Katie for her suggestions. Oh and I forgot to add they plan on spending between $50-$75 per person which should more than cover appetizers and wine tasting/flights at most places.

Rat's would be an exceptional location for your fete. Huge, diverse wine cellaer (over 10,000 bottles) and the setting is spectacular and whimsical.

I would also suggest Pete Lorenzo's Cafe, across from the Trenton train station; they have a large, cab-heavy wine list, and an excellent kitchen.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Rat's would be an exceptional location for your fete.  Huge, diverse wine cellaer (over 10,000 bottles) and the setting is spectacular and whimsical.

I would also suggest Pete Lorenzo's Cafe, across from the Trenton train station; they have a large, cab-heavy wine list, and an excellent kitchen.

Hadn't thought about Rats and agree it would be really great. I just wonder about the end price for this sort of thing.

As for Pete Lorenzo's, they are on my short list of places never to go back to. Quality is way off and I haven't been for years. I used to have a personal account here years ago as we went a few times a month. Their price for food is bad enough, but get into some of the mid to higher end wines and fugetaboutit.

(Katie Loeb, white courtesy phone...)

:laugh:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my friend. Sadly, my knowledge of places in that area is quite limited. I didn't even think of Rat's until someone mentioned it!

Are there BYO places in that neck of the woods? Are there any that can seat that many people?? That might really be the issue, since most BYO's tend to be small. Once you're forced to find a place that has a liquor license, you're either forced to buy whatever they have (and places with a banquet room large enough to handle 50 people might not necessarily have a great wine list), or pay outrageous amounts of corkage fees to have what you want. Sounds like it would be better to have it at someone's home and rent the glassware and a couple of staff from a caterer. :shrug:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Are there BYO places in that neck of the woods?  Are there any that can seat that many people?? 

There are indeed and I've tentatively settled on a place Rich may know of called Piccolo Trattoria http://www.piccolotrattoria.com/ We're big fans of these places and go quite often. It's really the only place I like in Newtown/Holland that has consistantly well executed and tasy if simple dishes.

I know the owner, Fami pretty well and he can in fact accomodate 50-75 people expected. As it's on a Tuesday, he'll pretty much devote the entire space to us.

I've been in touch with Marnie Old (Katie, she says hello!) to see about her doing the tasting/pairing part. I'd been to a few tastings with Gregg Moore a few years ago and he was my first choice, but he has his hands full with the 3 stores and is really not doing these any more. Marnie was extremely professional and does have a great rep but her engagement prices are somewhat lofty shall I say.

So, I'm still looking for another person (s) who might have the proper creds to do the wine pairings in case my client doesn't want to foot Marnie's bill. If I had my druthers, I'd hire her in a minute!

Any suggestions?

Have you checked into the Crossing Vineyard in Washington Crossing? They do private events, but not sure about the pricing. An easy shot from Trenton though.

EMcD

Lovely place, the only problem is you have to buy and drink their sorry excuse for wine. Really, PA wines or for that matter NJ wines?

Have you checked into the Crossing Vineyard in Washington Crossing? They do private events, but not sure about the pricing. An easy shot from Trenton though.

EMcD

Lovely place, the only problem is you have to buy and drink their sorry excuse for wine. Really, PA wines or for that matter NJ wines?

At least 5 that I know of and most of them in the way south of the state.

Living hard will take its toll...

I don't think I was clear in my previous post. I really don't like the wine made at Crossing Vineyards at all. I haven't found any wine made in NJ or PA that I can even get down let alone enjoy. I've been to many of the local vineyards and just can't get past the whole idea of NJ or PA terroir for growing grapes good enough to make palatable wines from.

The absolute worst of the lot was Cape May Vineyards. It was really awful stuff. What made it weird is that I was sampling wines in the winemakers house and tried really hard not to offend him. It was just foul, really bad.

EMcD

"The only problem is you have to buy and drink their sorry excuse for wine."

What's so unclear about that?

I don't think I was clear in my previous post. I really don't like the wine made at Crossing Vineyards at all. I haven't found any wine made in NJ or PA that I can even get down let alone enjoy. I've been to many of the local vineyards and just can't get past the whole idea of NJ or PA terroir for growing grapes good enough to make palatable wines from.

The absolute worst of the lot was Cape May Vineyards. It was really awful stuff. What made it weird is that I was sampling wines in the winemakers house and tried really hard not to offend him. It was just foul, really bad.

Ditto for Renault Winery. Went there last year with some friends for a weekend getaway. We left Renault and got away to Cape May to drink because the Renault wine is so god-awful bad.

"The only problem is you have to buy and drink their sorry excuse for wine."

What's so unclear about that?

Yeah, you're right it is pretty clear isn't it? I think WHT just needed a more direct take on my feelings about wine made in NJ and PA.