• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gribiche sauce

glennbech

This sauce is a emulsion sauce based on hard boiled eggs.

The yolk and white of the boiled egg is separated and the hard boiled yolk is mixed with the mustard, and oils to make the emulsion. Later, herbs, white wine vinegaer, salt, shallots, capers are added. Finally the egg white is finely chopped and mixed in.

- My first atemt at this sauce was a disaster. It split..... I know how to make mayo, and sauce berinaise without problems, so this came as a sureprise. Does emulsion sauces based on hard boild egg-yolks split more easily?

- Did anyone make it? Was it good?

- I was planning on using it with Asparagus for a starter. Any other suggestions?

I make the one out of Les Halles all the time for leeks vinaigrette but in Bourdain's the yolk isn't part of the emulsion- capers, diced yolk and white, parsley, shallots are stirred together then the vinaigrette is folded in. hmmm, i didn't know it wasn't a traditional method!

I make the one out of Les Halles all the time for leeks vinaigrette but in Bourdain's the yolk isn't part of the emulsion- capers, diced yolk and white, parsley, shallots are stirred together then the vinaigrette is folded in. hmmm, i didn't know it wasn't a traditional method!

I make mine in a similar fashion per a recipe in The Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook. That is, make the vinaigrette with the herbs, chopped gherkins and capers, shallots and lemon zest then fold in the chopped whites and the chopped yolks of the eggs. I do have some older recipes tin which you add the oil drop by drop to the sieved egg yolks but I haven't tried that method or else made it that way a long time ago.

The time is soon coming for sauce gribiche with cold asparagus; one of my favorite springtime and Easter dishes. The Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook suggests the sauce as a topping for grilled endives. That sounds wonderful as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

emulsion is not exactly the right word, since these are hard-cooked eggs.

Thanks for pointing that out. Does this mean that the yolks will thicken the sauce no matter what, and that I don't have to be careful about adding a little at a time?

My sauce split during rather heavy manual whipping, I suspect that of beeing my mistake. I thought I was making mayo :-)

Edited by glennbech (log)

The way we do it at TFL is to basically combine all the ingredients and lighty mix/fold together, adding more vinegar/oil and seasoning to taste. As far as my knowledge, sauce gribiche should resemble what we refer to as a "broken vinaigrette." Mmm... just thinking about sauce gribiche makes me crave tete du couchon.

Also, im glad to see people using this great, yet neglected, sauce.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

The way we do it at TFL is to basically combine all the ingredients and lighty mix/fold together, adding more vinegar/oil and seasoning to taste. As far as my knowledge, sauce gribiche should resemble what we refer to as a "broken vinaigrette." Mmm... just thinking about sauce gribiche makes me crave tete du couchon.

Also, im glad to see people using this great, yet neglected, sauce.

-Chef Johnny

right on, so i'm doing it the same way! yeah i'm happy!

Well, here's my first decent atempt. My original recipe called for capers, and fresh herbs... I substituted with some Chives, and a very small amound of dried tarragon.

gallery_44514_3138_1115537.jpg

Yum!

Aspargus is only in season here in Norway in June/July, and only harvest from one certain distruct is anything to speak of.... I never tried them, but I've heard the taste is spectacular as they get time to grow. The Norwegian aspergus looks a bit like the Thai I've used for this dish.

I'm most certainly looking forward to that and are most certainly going to try with a sauce gribiche.

:-)

hey glenn, that looks pretty good. but i think you're still trying to make it a little too much of a sauce. the yolks shouldn't be blended in so much. the sauce should be chunky, with little bits of green, gold, white, etc. try just folding everything together.