• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food "Pig Out"

TAPrice

gallery_22464_2001_29797.jpg

Isn't that the cutest little pig? Wouldn't you love to know what it tastes like? Come to the Slow Food "Pig Out" this Monday to sample this rare mulefoot hog.

Poppy Tooker, leader of the New Orleans Slow Food chapter, sent me the following note:

To all Slow Food friends:

Please join us this Monday night, March 5th at 6:30 PM for a special tasting of rare, heritage breed pigs - the Mulefoot (see attached photo!) and Guinea Hogs.

Dr. Arie McFarlen of Maveric Heritage Ranch in South Dakota and member of the Slow Food USA Ark of Taste Committee will speak on her work with these rare breed animals and then we will do my favorite thing - "Eat 'Em To Save 'Em!"

Chefs Frank Brigtsen, Darin Nesbit, Gerard Maras, Corbin Evans and Aaron Burgau will all prepare scrumptious pig dishes - guaranteeing us a RARE night indeed!!!

$20 at the door with a cash bar

For more info or to make reservations call 504-895-2665 or email peter@savvygourmet.com

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Isn't that the cutest little pig? Wouldn't you love to know what it tastes like?

That's about what I was thinking when I was watching "Babe" yesterday with my daughter.

What a bargain. $20 to have those guys feed me? Wish I could be there...

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I was once involved in a dinner that sort of accidentally ended up involving a pot bellied pig being consumed. One of the guests, a farm worker who helped with the party, summed it up nicely- "Pigs is pigs, I guess."

It was, in fact, pretty good, if not a little bit lean.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

How does one "sort of accidentally" kill & butcher & cook a pot-bellied pig?  Did it get off of its leash and run out into the street?  I gotta here the story behind this one...

Here's my guess...alcohol was involved.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

How does one "sort of accidentally" kill & butcher & cook a pot-bellied pig?  Did it get off of its leash and run out into the street?  I gotta here the story behind this one...

Here's my guess...alcohol was involved.

Naww...

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Isn't that the cutest little pig? Wouldn't you love to know what it tastes like? Come to the Slow Food "Pig Out" this Monday to sample this rare mulefoot hog.

(Paraphrasing Homer Simpson) Will it be this pig or just pig?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany