• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Sale for Anime Club

LittleMaiko

so.. My aunt who is a pastry chef showed me this forum, I am a new member and I needed some ideas and advices on something.

(please forgive my spelling errors,my mother-tongue is french,i'm bilingual,but I make mistakes)

:smile: I am member of an Anime Club in Montreal,we are running an anime convention and we decided we were going to have a bake sale! Since I came up with the idea,and that i'm the only one that bakes yummy things in the club,I am the official baker for the baking sell.

I was looking through my recipes today and I was wondering what I could make.I have a couple of ideas of what to bake,but I wanted the opinions and advices of other people to help me with this.Since it is my FIRST Bake Sale. I'm a bit scared I'll mess up.Since I want to enter cooking school to be a pastry chef,it'll help me train into baking sweets,but I'm still a bit scared.

I was thinking of making:

- chewy chocolate chip cookies

- Coconut or Almond Macaroons

- Brownies

- Cupcakes

- Cinnamon Rolls.

are those alrighty for a bake sale? I still haven't looked through all my recipes though,but this is what I came up with.

Thank you in advance everyone!

Rice krispy treats are pretty popular here too,well with kids, but I still love making those.

hmm..maybe I could make those too for the bake sale ,there's not alot of people who don't like Rice Krispy treats ^^

Thank you!

how can I make my macaroons look all twirly and pretty like in the stores?

Take a look at this topic on bake sales. I can personally vouch for Teepee's lemon bars (recipe is in that topic somewhere). They were a huuuuuuuuge hit with my co-workers.

I would add a savoury item or two to the list. Like savoury scones or biscuits. Some people love baked goods, but don't care for sweets.

Oh, since it's an anime club, something a little more Japanese might be nice. It could just be a little thing, like adzuki blondies. My coworker makes them sometimes, and they're surprisingly good. I could ask her for the recipe if you like.

Rice krispy treats are pretty popular here too,well with kids, but I still love making those.

hmm..maybe I could make those too for the bake sale ,there's not alot of people who don't like Rice Krispy treats ^^

Thank you!

how can I make my macaroons look all twirly and pretty like in the stores?

You're welcome!

Macaroons that look like that have been piped through a wide, fluted pastry tube.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

thank you prasantrin ^^ I'll try to find some savory recipes that I can do. and it would be nice if you could ask your coworker for the recipe ^^ I'm sure people at the club would like it! Thank you for the link as well!

Thank you Eileen.

I thought they were being piped,so while cooking,they hold their shape and don't make a big blob? I tried making Macaroons once and I don't have a piping bag with the lil tips yet. So my macaroons were spread and they looked like normal cookies and not like fluffy macaroons ><

Maybe it was the recipe?

I've seen Rice Krispie treats made to look like sushi rolls -- fillings of gummy worm or fish candies, and fruit leather used for nori. They might be fun!

You might want to include a 'healthy' cookie such as oatmeal-raisin or a fruit-filled bar cookie as well.

For a bake sale at my daughter's school last year I decorated the cupcakes to look like brown bears, pandas and koalas using various candies. I got the idea from my Claire Crespo book, "Hey There, Cupcake". You can see a picture of the panda and the brown bear on the front and back covers: http://tinyurl.com/2ck4jf

I wasn't able to attend the sale, but the PTA president told me that they sold out almost immediately.

With kids, it's all about eye appeal. Sometimes taste is secondary. (That's true with some adults, too!)

How about some Okinawan doughnuts! Very easy to do, Google on "okinawan doughnuts" and you will find many recipes. Make your own version of Poke sticks using pretzel rods dipped in chocolate!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

It's not really baking, more of a candy-like confection, but they are easy to cut into squares and a HUGE hit with the kids at every one of our PTA bake sales. I cut them into fairly small squares (they are pretty sweet) and nest them in a muffin cup.

SCHOOL CAFETERIA PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

3 3/4 cup powdered sugar

3 cups peanut butter

3/4 cup margarine

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips

2 tablespoons margarine

Mix first 4 ingredients well and press into a 9x13-inch pan.

Melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons margarine. Spread on top.

Chill and serve. Keep refrigerated. Enjoy!

Thank you Eileen.

I thought they were being piped,so while cooking,they hold their shape and don't make a big blob? I tried making Macaroons once and I don't have a piping bag with the lil tips yet. So my macaroons were spread and they looked like normal cookies and not like fluffy macaroons ><

Maybe it was the recipe?

What king of macaroons are you looking for? The kind that are made with ground coconut, or the kind made with shredded/flaked coconut? (You can see the coconut shreds in the latter.) I have a recipe made with shredded or flaked coconut, annd they hold their shape well and don't require piping. Let me know if you would like the recipe. It only has 4 ingredients. Very easy to make and delicious.

Eileen

ps - If I were you I'd keep the assortment to things that are quickly made. If you aren't used to baking a quantity of stuff, you could find yourself terribly overwhelmed.

Eileen Talanian

Hi Eileen!

The recipe I had called for shredded coconut and that's what I used ^^ though wierdly enough,they looked like a cooked puddle of cookie than a puffy macaroon!I'd love to have your recipe if you don't mind posting it!

The chairman of the anime club told me I'd have people helping me out to cook ^^

You can get it here [click]. Look for Holiday Coconut Macaroons in the column called "cookies." You don't have to decorate them with colored candies.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

Thank you ^^

My boyfriend today asked me if I could make something called,if I remember right,Dynamo Bars. I'm not sure if I have the right name for those,but I really don't know what they are and I would really appreciate if somebody could tell me what they are and give me a recipe ^^

thank you

Perhaps he wants Nanaimo Bars?

I've never tried them, but here is a recipe for them and an article on their history: http://www.nanaimo.ca/visitors/index_inside.asp?id=189

Thanks for the link!

A friend of mine has been making these no-name cookies for years (a coworker of mine has called them "smookie" bars). She just found out they were the infamous Nanaimo bars. It's great to finally put a name to the dessert.

Though I'm not sure if they would be ideal for a bake sale since I think they should be refrigerated.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I made the nanaimo bars this week end for the father of my boyfriend (it was his birthday) we gave him half,we kept 3 of 4 peices and I brought the rest as treats to the clubroom members. They all loved it,but it's a bit too sugary for my taste OO

Can I diminish the amount of sugar for the middle part?

• 1 month later...

Thank you very very much ^^

I apologise for this very late reply, I have been sick and personnal problems came in.

But I made cinnamon buns and gingerbread cookies that look like anime characters.

our bake sale was a HUGE hit! We made over a 100$!

I would like to thank everyone who helped me ^^