• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent Eats in Memphis

little ms foodie

Memphis is now part of my business territory so I am getting there about once a month or so. I like to stay downtown by the Peabody as it's nice to walk around. I'm always on the lookout for recent thoughts on great places to eat and I'm sure others visiting and/or living in Memphis would be too!

Because I was on Beale St a few weeks ago we ate at Rum Boogie Cafe- I have a weakness for deep fried pickles :wacko: But the lunch was not very good- their pulled pork sandwich was boring and predictable. Is there anyplace that actually has good food on Beale for lunch or dinner?

Just made it to Encore last week. Chef Jose Gutierrez is a very nice man and quite the chatter, making his way around the restaurant and bar. Simple well prepared French bistro fare with a twist. The FOH could use some help as they didn't seem over the top knowledgable but it could have just been my waiter. The bar and drinks coming from it were nice. I'll eat here again but I think the price is a bit high for the dishes.

Cozy Corner for lunch one day was great. Got the ribs and the bbq spaghetti. next time I'll get the hot and spicy. Cheap!!!

Hey, You gotta try Cielo one of these times, in the Victorian Village about one mile by cab from The Peabody. Chef Dave is awesome. Umm, I love the hot romaine salad and the lobster beignets are the bombshabomb. They're not currently on the menu, but when they are they are dynamite. We had the derby sage stuffed filet. And Dave's fish is always superb. Chef-boy has staged there many times.

It's wonderfully decorated. Essential eclectic might describe it. You have to see it to believe it. It's a little pricier but worth it.

Umm and we like Bigfoot on 2nd Street right there by the Peabody too. Just a few doors down from Automatic Slim's. Bigfoot has great food. Chef-boy ate there regularly. It's not French, but it's much easier to enjoy than Encore.

On the corner there at Union & 2nd is Huey's, a Memphis landmark. The hot bacon dressed chicken salad is very good and I often get the turkey sandwich.

Seikisui's, close by on Union, is great for sushi. My daughter goes there all the time. In fact I'll ask her where else she recommends.

I love that you come to Elvis-town!!

K8's right about Huey's... I miss their burgers! For BBQ I prefer Interstate or Corky's. (A lot of folks might bop me for this one, but I recommend you skip the Rendezvous entirely... in my opinion it's highly, HIGHLY overrated.)

I worked on Beale for a lot of years, and the restaurants they started putting in there when they "updated" and improved it all always seemed too... chain-y, I guess. They did build a new Irish pub over on the Mall after I moved... my brother took me there when I came to visit and that was good (although I can't remember the name... K8 might!)

If your're there on a Sunday, I've yet to have a brunch that can top the Peabody's... though admittedly I haven't been there in (gulp) nearly ten years...

Enjoy your stays in my hometown!

...  They did build a new Irish pub over on the Mall after I moved... my brother took me there when I came to visit and that was good (although I can't remember the name... K8 might!)...

It'd be Dan McGuinness o'course written in me best brogue.

We're gonna check out Alfred's on Beale before too long.

We're partial to the musicians.

But that's mostly what I've heard about Beale.

Foodies might be better served elsewhere.

But I mean Beale street is way awesome.

Oh hey, I love The Pier too. It's on Riverside Drive I think.

The view is to die for if you get the right table.

Fish fish & more fish.

I haven't been to Texas de Brazil but I've only heard really great carniverous things about it.

Huey's.

Bigfoot!

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Grace says the best bar b q in Memphis is Neely's on Jefferson, cheap, good.

Gus' Fried Chicken on Front Street for the best fried chicken on the planet.

McEwan's on Monroe in between Main & Front is her top spot.

And across the street is The Little Tea Shop and she heard it's real good--mostly lunch probably.

Stella's on Main is good-- I've had lunch there. They have tables outside, watch the trolley go by. It's pretty.

On Beale she said King's Palace is the only place she would eat.

The Arcade is great for breakfast on corner of S Main and GE Patterson--she says great pizza too.

She said don't go to Seikesui downtown that one is not as cool as the others, but good for a take-out.

For sushi downtown she says Bluefin.

Zoey's Kitchen, very fresh sandwiches & salads corner of Main & Monroe.

She also likes Cafe 61 back on second street right across from The Peabody and she recommends Panchos there too across from the Corner Bar.

The Corner Bar and the Lobby Bar in The Peabody are the coolest places for drinks. You already knew that.

That might help find a few cool spots for you. Grace also said that she thinks the service downtown is the best in the city.

PS. A year ago I could have guaranteed an astronomical meal at Chez Phillipe 'cause Chef-boy was there. It's still pretty good I guess. :wink:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Ahhh... mem-rieeeees! :)

I still vote for Interstate over Neely's, but you know how bbq is: people have very, very strong opinions on the subject! For that matter, I have wonderful memories of Three Little Pigs on Highland, down from Memphis State. Boy, I ate a lot of food there while I was in school!

Your son worked at CP? Very cool... my ex was the sous chef at Dux. I had some pretty amazing meals there, but that closed down, right?

Now I want to come home for a visit... :) Little Ms Foodie, please let us know where you end up going, and what you think!

Ahhh... mem-rieeeees!  :)

I still vote for Interstate over Neely's, but you know how bbq is: people have very, very strong opinions on the subject!  For that matter, I have wonderful memories of Three Little Pigs on Highland, down from Memphis State.  Boy, I ate a lot of food there while I was in school!

Your son worked at CP?  Very cool... my ex was the sous chef at Dux.  I had some pretty amazing meals there, but that closed down, right?

Now I want to come home for a visit... :)  Little Ms Foodie, please let us know where you end up going, and what you think!

Personally I liked Brad's the best but they closed. But my nostalgic favorite is Tops Barbeque. And we just got a Central Barbeque here in my neighborhood and when I can eat barbeque, that's some good stuff. And they have those potato chip things.

Three Little Pigs is gone--hey I used to work at McLaurine's, the bakery on Highland right down from Three Little Pigs!! Yes Dux is gone, there's another steak place there now, umm, Capriccio's. I like The Peabody, I love the ambiance and tradition, but I would never chose to eat there. Too chichi for my tastes.

I asked Chef-boy, my Cordon Bleu trained son where was his favorite place to eat downtown besides Bigfoot. He thought hard and finally said, are you ready? He said, Denny's! :laugh: He said he loves the Eggs over MyHammy and the little mini hamburgers with onion rings. And he works in high end fine dining. He said it's great at 3 or 4 in the morning.

:rolleyes:

Wendy,

I'd love to hear about your experiences once you get a chance to have some, I just picked up TN as a territory and imagine I am going to be spending a fair amount of time there.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

I'm very glad to find this as I travel (and will continue traveling) to Memphis every other month or so. I have had a decent, but not great, breakfast at Cafe Francisco. I think I hit Chef Wendell's World Grille on an off-night, but had a pretty good and fun dinner at Blues City. Oh those apple dumplings!!

What happened to Aubergine? I was Gene's second sous chef, stayed for2+ yrs, worked with Jean Cristophe when he first came for a visit. That was an amazing experience. I also worked at cheese phillip, was underwhelmed, as well as at Rajis, what a charade that was.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...