• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marmite

LindsayAnn

Ok, so I just opened this sucker....do I need to put it in the fridge? I kept my last jar in the fridge and it was very hard to spread whenever I needed it - can I keep it in the cabinet?

I usually spread on crackers, sometimes with cheese too....any other unique uses for Marmite?

Any other uses in cooking? Like as a flavoring enhancer?

Lets talk Marmite! so salty, so yeasty, so good :)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Ok, so I just opened this sucker....do I need to put it in the fridge? I kept my last jar in the fridge and it was very hard to spread whenever I needed it - can I keep it in the cabinet?

NEVER in the fridge - there have been some other threads on this too ref to cooking uses

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I just keep it in the cupboard. I don't think any known microbe (or at least any harmful ones) could survive in it!

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I'm hooked on it. Found that our local natural-foods store keeps it well-stocked. I don't refrigerate it, go through a jar pretty quickly, and have used it in stews and, most recently, a Welsh rarebit, with great results.

Here's the thread I started on Marmite in the UK forums:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=98288

no fridge. Keeps for years after opening. With its high salt content, I dont think anything could grow in/on it, except perhaps microbes from the Dead or Salton Seas.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Yum --- just bought a sourdough loaf of bread (fresh from bakery section,.....I LOVE sourdough bread...its the combo of the sourness and the chewy bread with the crusty exterior) and spread on some marmite, covered liberally (like three slices....thick sliced) of sharp cheddar...popped in toaster oven until it was browned

SO GOOD

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Yum --- just bought a sourdough loaf of bread (fresh from bakery section,.....I LOVE sourdough bread...its the combo of the sourness and the chewy bread with the crusty exterior) and spread on some marmite, covered liberally (like three slices....thick sliced) of sharp cheddar...popped in toaster oven until it was browned

SO GOOD

I've found the best bread (also for paninis and all sorts of other uses) with Marmite is Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane, which comes pre-sliced for under $2, I think. Toasted, loaded with butter and then smeared with Marmite ... I could eat it all day.

Once I made the grave mistake of creating a marmite, peanut butter, tomato, sriracha, rocket, and amba (pickled mango) sandwich.  Illness ensued.

That one does deserve an "Ewwww".,....

What were you thinking? Pregnant much? hahah

I dont even get cravings that bad/weird when I am PMSing!

Disturbingly, my capacity for logic was not that far gone: marmite + peanut butter is good, peanut butter + sriracha + tomato is good, tomato + pickled mango is good . . . however, all of these things together, well, not so good.

Chappie, that sounds amazing. I'm looking on my shelf now and I have popcorn...I have Marmite but it's 1:30am - Maybe tomorrow.

What better time is there than 1:30 a.m. for Marmite-buttered popcorn?

I wonder how it would taste in a caramel, sort of a sweet/savory caramel, then mixed with popcorn and formed into balls...

• 2 weeks later...
No need to refrigerate it. It will last for months if not years in the cupboard.

Not in my household!

{looks fruitlessly in cupboard}

"Hey, didn't we buy a fresh jar of Marmite last week? Where is it?"

{husband looks innocent, whistles artlessly}

{smacks husband}

• 5 years later...

I'm noticing, now that we live in a slightly more humid area, that the marmite <gasp> slowly gets runny when stored in the cupboard! This goes against a lifetime of experience and is extremely disconcerting of a morning.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.