• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon..Can I get Clarification on something?

Joisey

Back when I was younger, I used to wonder why some bacon had a strong Ammonia odor while some did not. A food rep told me that the ammonia smell came from pigs who had not been castrated. I don't know what made me think of this, but I'm curious again. Anyone have insight?

Back when I was younger, I used to wonder why some bacon had a strong Ammonia odor while some did not.  A food rep told me that the ammonia smell came from pigs who had not been castrated.  I don't know what made me think of this, but I'm curious again.  Anyone have insight?

Yes, there is such an odor.

From the Journal of Food Science:

"Sex odor/flavor in pork was produced when fat, lean (with fat), and most organs from a boar were heated in a skillet or in boiling water."

SB (Not a Food Scientist, but ....

Hi there,

This phenomenon is called "boar taint".

Boar taint is an unpleasant odour that is released during cooking from some pork and products made from the meat and fat of non-castrated male pigs. Only a proportion of boars produce this odour and not all consumers are sensitive to it. Nevertheless it is a potential problem for the pork industry since an unpleasant experience can mean that a sensitive consumer may not purchase pork or pork products again. Some European countries are very concerned about this problem and most castrate all the male pigs not required for breeding.

Hmm.  I always thought "boar taint" was what they made sausage out of.

Perhaps it is.... :biggrin:

Seriously, nope, not as far as I'm aware. And I studied food science as part of a degree in agriculture....

Could be a case of Europe/USA using different terms, but the first page of google hits seems to confirm my first post.....

I have my grandfather's butchering book from around 1940.

"Never Butcher Boars.

Their meat is unpleasant in flavor and of very poor texture. With proper planning this can be avoided. Castrate the boar about 5 or 6 weeks before you intend to butcher, put him on full feed until he is entirely healed up, then fatten for at least 30 days."

I have known several people who raise market hogs. They castrate all the males while they're still very young unless it's one they want to raise as a breeder.

Perhaps the ammonia odor was from old bacon.

Perhaps the ammonia odor was from old bacon.

I think, and I'm way open to correction, the ammonia smell is from androstene steroids and skatole which build up in the fat and muscles of uncastrated boars reaching sexual maturation. When cooked, an ammonia-like smell frequently described as a "strong perspiration-like, urine-like unpleasant odour" is released....

Not everyone can detect it though....

I talked to a reputable pork breeder about the smell problem. He didn't think it was late castration, or boar meat that should have gone into pepperoni.

There are two possible sources: (1) young females slaughtered when coming into heat.

(2) The dominant smell in large pig barns may be absorbed into the meat. This can only be avoided by purchasing from a small breeder or a good bucher shop.