• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Felafel/Falafel--Cook-Off 30

Bumping this up to ask a question. I'm in the notion for falafel tomorrow. However, I do not have the first chickpea in my house (Horrors! When did I use the last ones?). Can I get by with using cassoulet or navy beans, the only other variety of white beans I have on hand? It's raining like nobody's business and I really don't want to go to the grocery for ONE thing.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

Bumping this up to ask a question. I'm in the notion for falafel tomorrow. However, I do not have the first chickpea in my house (Horrors! When did I use the last ones?). Can I get by with using cassoulet or navy beans, the only other variety of white beans I have on hand? It's raining like nobody's business and I really don't want to go to the grocery for ONE thing.

Sure thing! I used to be really bad at making falafel, it always fell apart when I fried it. This was before the internet. I started asking people about making it, and discovered that it's different throughout the middle east. In Saudi Arabia, it's made almost entirely from stale bread. In other areas, it's raw or cooked fava beans, in other's it's raw garbanzos, in others it's cooked garbanzos (generally further north.)

I suggest reading THIS Serious Eats article. I myself like the falfel made with cooked beans, added flour, and a little baking soda/powder. That said, it does explain what's going on.

I like to add a little freshly ground cumin, to me it makes beans taste more 'beany'. I also like adding a tiny amount of allspice and something hot like pimenton, cayenne, or chipotle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@kayb, how did the falafel come out? I wouldn't have thought to try it with beans other than garbanzos or favas, if it hadn't been for your question and @Lisa Shock's answer.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Decided I didn't want it that night, so stuck the batter in the fridge, where it reposed for most of the week. I threw it away this morning.

😢

• Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Decided I didn't want it that night, so stuck the batter in the fridge, where it reposed for most of the week. I threw it away this morning.

😢

I gave you a sad face but really and honestly it’s exactly what should happen to batter for falafel.xD

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 years later...

Made some falafel today with the only recipe for falafel in all of the cookbooks I own: the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking! I was sort of surprised to discover that, but Eat Your Books doesn't lie :) . I've made this recipe many times, and so I sort of wing the spices based on what I've got on hand and what sounds good. I have some nice black cumin from Burlap & Barrel right now, as well as Urfa chiles, so those were the principle spices (plus a healthy does of coriander).

IMG_0438.JPEG

IMG_0435.JPEG

IMG_0436.JPEG

Served with Zhug from the recipe in Shockey & Shockey's Fiery Ferments (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), tahini dressing, a scattering of cherry tomatoes leftover from yesterday's pizza, and some arugula.

IMG_0439.JPEG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

31 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Made some falafel today with the only recipe for falafel in all of the cookbooks I own: the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking! I was sort of surprised to discover that, but Eat Your Books doesn't lie :) . I've made this recipe many times, and so I sort of wing the spices based on what I've got on hand and what sounds good. I have some nice black cumin from Burlap & Barrel right now, as well as Urfa chiles, so those were the principle spices (plus a healthy does of coriander).

IMG_0438.JPEG

IMG_0435.JPEG

IMG_0436.JPEG

Served with Zhug from the recipe in Shockey & Shockey's Fiery Ferments (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), tahini dressing, a scattering of cherry tomatoes leftover from yesterday's pizza, and some arugula.

IMG_0439.JPEG

is that a recipe that uses soaked ground not cooked chckpeas or? Very uniform symetrical patties Mr Science ;)  

48 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Made some falafel today with the only recipe for falafel in all of the cookbooks I own: the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking! I was sort of surprised to discover that, but Eat Your Books doesn't lie :)

They look great!  
Had to go search my books on EYB and came up with 43 falafel recipes!

• Like 2