• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Balsamic..

Kobi

I recently purchased a couple of very good bottles of aged balsamic vinegar from a local purveyor. I have enjoyed it with pears (obv. not at their best), a couple different cheeses, and some basic bread from a local bakery.

Anyone have any suggestions for any other way to enjoy it? I guess the obvious aim is to bring out the flavor in the BV with whatever is used.

Thanks in advance,

KOBI

Maybe get a really good EVOO, make a balsamic vinaigrette, and have an endive or escarole salad?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Drizzled over vanilla ice cream.

One of the more memorable dishes I've had that used balsamic vinegar was:

"Deviled Strawberries"

Fresh sliced strawberries, with homemade blood orange sorbetto on the side. This was all plated on top of a balsamic vinegar reduction, and was finished with shaved chocolate and fresh cracked black pepper. I ate at this particular restaurant numerous times, and always shied away from this dish.. but finally my curiosity got the best of me, and I'm so glad it did... this was PHENOMENAL!

Sadly, the restaurant is now gone... but I intend to recreate this for myself sometime.

If your vinegar is really good, it might have enough natural sweetness that it won't need to be reduced much, if at all.

__Jason

I use just a little in lieu of vanilla in a shortbread recipe, then top with strawberry jam.

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

I haven't quite gotten it right, but I think that balsamic snow kones are promising. Straight with lots of sugar was both too sweet and too sour, but maybe a simple syrup flavored with balsamic over finely saved snow, served as an intermezzo would be good.