• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite stir-fry pan?

slobhan

I searched for "wok" in this forum, but didn't find anything.

Here we go, folks. It all began in 1999, when my boyfriend's sister, now my sister-in-law, gave me a non-stick stir-fry pan/wok she didn't need anymore. The pan was light, non-stick (which I usually don't buy), big and deep—it did the job.

A few years later, I tossed the pan when I noticed the bottom chipping and I didn't want to eat the chemicals used in the non-stick coating with my chicken curry. Little did I know, in so doing, I would be launched into a search to find the perfect replacement that still continues today.

I tried to replace it with a Calphalon One Stir-Fry pan and I don't like it. At all. It takes forever to heat and the bottom is smaller in diameter than I'd like.

What is your favorite wok/stir-fry pan and where did you get it?

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

I use an old fashioned steel wok very heavy purchased at an Asian market for very little money years ago ...it is worth the effort to season and build the character I think of your wok like people do with cast iron...nothing sticks to it when you do and it cooks so well!...no brand name it has an Asian symbol on the bottom...I actually have a propane burner that my husband set up to hold it ...outside to crank up the heat hotter than I can get in the house ..and stir fry on it there all year around ...it is awesome and worth it I think

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I searched for "wok" in this forum, but didn't find anything.

Here we go, folks. It all began in 1999, when my boyfriend's sister, now my sister-in-law, gave me a non-stick stir-fry pan/wok she didn't need anymore. The pan was light, non-stick (which I usually don't buy), big and deep—it did the job.

A few years later, I tossed the pan when I noticed the bottom chipping and I didn't want to eat the chemicals used in the non-stick coating with my chicken curry. Little did I know, in so doing, I would be launched into a search to find the perfect replacement that still continues today.

I tried to replace it with a Calphalon One Stir-Fry pan and I don't like it. At all. It takes forever to heat and the bottom is smaller in diameter than I'd like.

What is your favorite wok/stir-fry pan and where did you get it?

Lots of information about choosing and caring for woks on the China and Chinese Cuisine forum: Chinese woks and cleavers (click). We have a 14-inch spun carbon steel wok with 20 years of seasoning and a dangerously loose handle. It probably cost less than $20 USD. I just ordered a cast iron wok from the Wok Shop (click). I hope that it will be $17 USD well spent. :smile:

Properly seasoned, a carbon steel wok is extremely non-stick and enables you to sear food properly. Nonstick coatings inhibit searing; they also break down and release fumes at the high temperatures necessary for stir-frying properly.

If you have an electric stove, a flat-bottomed wok will heat up more quickly.

Funny that this thread came up because on another forum, there has been extensive discussions as to what constitutes an ideal wok. With over 115 replies to the original post I guess you can say it's been thoroughly dragged through the mud a few times.

First thing to know is what kind of stove do you have.

If gas, the I can recommend either a simple carbon steel or thin cast iron wok. Don't go with stainless. Don't go with non-stick. Don't go with copper. Why? Because none of them can be seasoned producing ideal stir-fry. Regarding the non-stick, it just doesn't do the same quality high-heat job of cooking the food. I personally have the thin Iron wok. This wok is as thin as carbon steel and is backed with enamel. From a performance standpoint, it's hard to beat. Very responsive to heat fluctuations and is flat bottomed.

If electric, I wholeheartedly recommend a thick cast iron wok. Thick as in the type of cast iron Lodge makes. Why? Let me tell you. I was a skeptic about the thick cast iron until that forum's thread I mentioned above had people posting all the pics of their thick cast iron woks and how they feel it's a great medium for making stir-fry. They said that the wok retains heat to a such a significant degree that when you put food in the temp doesn't drop. On a typical home stove, this is huge! Beef was the biggest culprit of stewing in my wok no matter how hot I got it. It was such a problem that I rarely stir-fried beef because of the inherant problems with temp reduction.

One of the members of that forum recommended getting the wok by Texsport for $13, $19 delivered. I got it and made a few dishes in it. The first one was beef. I got the wok good and hot and threw in the beef. I was totally thrilled. The beef kept on sizzling and was done frying up in less than a minute. I was giggling like a 10 year old schoolgirl I was so thrilled at what just happened. I threw in the veggies and the sauce and be damned if I wasn't doen in a few minutes. It took a few minutes longer for the wok to get up to temp over the other wok I have but I am a convert to the point that I don't think I'll ever go back to thin carbon steel or thin cast iron. Even if I had a gas stove. Yes, the thick cast iron wok is less responsive to heat changes but all you have to do is modify your cooking style a little to accomodate the inherant properties of cooking with it.

Oh, another thing. This thick cast iron wok is round on the inside but has a flat surface that comes into contact with the stove. It has the benefits of a round bottomed wok and can be used without a wok ring and on an electric stove. Even the ceramic top electric stoves. Cast iron can be used on those types of surfaces but just not dragged across them as it will get damaged. I've been cooking with my CI frying pans for years on my ceramic stove top with no problems. Just got to be careful. No need to move the pan around, the wok spatula moves the food around.

I'm totally serious here. I have been converted. If you want to get a standard carbon or thin cast iron wok I'd suggest getting it from http://www.wokshop.com/. If you want to give the thick CI a try then the brand to get is called Texsport and sells for $13. HERE'S where I got mine. For the price, can't go wrong. If they're out of stock other places sell it. Just do a search on google to find out where else they're sold. This one is 12.5" wide and Lodge has one for $60 that is 14" wide. The Lodge is finished much nicer than the texsport but does the job beautifully.

Here's a pic of my thin cast iron/enameled wok from the wok shop.

gallery_22252_2954_417606.jpg

And here's a pic of the newly acquired Texsport thick CI wok. Seasoning's coming along real nice after using it only three times.

gallery_22252_2954_339413.jpg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I also own the enamel/iron wok from the Wok Shop. I like the flat bottom and the iron retains heat well -- though I'm now intrigued about the searing potential of the thick CI woks. You definitely can't beat that price!

I use an inexpensive 14" Indian iron kadhai, similar to a wok but definitely heavier, and accumulates and retains heat better than my wok. Seasoned up really well, and I don't cook acidic foods in it. Bought at Sinha Trading on Lexington for about $25, very recently, when I found myself dissatisfied with the wok for everyday cooking. I'm sure I would not feel that way if I had a more powerful heat source.

If electric, I wholeheartedly recommend a thick cast iron wok.  Thick as in the type of cast iron Lodge makes.  Why?  Let me tell you.  I was a skeptic about the thick cast iron until that forum's thread I mentioned above had people posting all the pics of their thick cast iron woks and how they feel it's a great medium for making stir-fry.  They said that the wok retains heat to a such a significant degree that when you put food in the temp doesn't drop.  On a typical home stove, this is huge!  Beef was the biggest culprit of stewing in my wok no matter how hot I got it.  It was such a problem that I rarely stir-fried beef because of the inherant problems with temp reduction.

One of the drawbacks to a cast iron wok is you don't have the flexibility to move the wok on and off the burner to control the heat of your pan. While high heat is imperative to chinese cooking, being able to quickly remove the pan from the heat (without getting a hernia) is important. Anyone using a corn starch slurry to thicken your sauces will concur.

That's one reason why I prefer the inexpensive sheet metal-type pans you can buy at the Asian markets. I have an electric stove and my wok isn't flat bottomed. While there are metal rings you can buy to provide stability to your pans, I don't use one. My hand rarely leaves the handle of the wok as I stir fry (another reason why mise en place is so important in chinese cooking) so stability isn't an issue for me.

Stay away from non-stick. You won't be able to develop the "wok hey" that eventually adds that extra something special to your chinese cooking.

hzrt8w's wok and burner shopping project may offer some tips on what kind of wok may work for you.

And the "A Pictorial Guide To Seasoning a Brand New Wok" thread offers tips on how to season your wok.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

One of the drawbacks to a cast iron wok is you don't have the flexibility to move the wok on and off the burner to control the heat of your pan. While high heat is imperative to chinese cooking, being able to quickly remove the pan from the heat (without getting a hernia) is important. Anyone using a corn starch slurry to thicken your sauces will concur.

I completely agree that flexibility is lost but as I pointed out one can modify the cooking style to accomodate. Slurry? No problem. Make it weaker with less cornstarch and you won't need to spend a lot of time waiting for the sauce to thicken. The high heat already in the pan will cook/thicken your sauce with very little cornstarch needed. Cooking with the thick CI pan is a LOT quicker than with the thin CI or carbon steel. Need to move the pan off the heat? Instead remove the food, put it back in or add veggies, add the meat back, add sauce, stir for 10 seconds and remove the food to serving plate. I'm tellin ya...it's fast, retains heat for awesome searing/frying of meats and veggies and meals come out great. I personally would rather modify my learned cooking style than have meat boil in it's own juices in the bottom of my wok because the temp dropped too much. You can't get wok-hei with your food cooking like that.

I used to be one that said carbon steel or thin CI woks are best and even convinced others the same thing. After actually USING this pan my recommendation has changed after many years of stir frying in a wok. For people who have electric this wok is great, it has a round bottom on the inside while flat on the outside. Best of both worlds IMHO. The pan is only 8 lbs. Not so heavy that it can't be easily lifted and without seeking medical attention. If it is, then get the thin CI or carbon and start going to the gym. Then after a couple of months, get a thick CI wok. :biggrin:

Edited by Octaveman (log)

Oh my, I forgot to subscribe to this thread.... thanks for the insight! I should have mentioned that I am cooking on a ceramic electric stove from the start.

I am really tempted to try the thick CI wok, but if it can't be dragged across ceramic cook tops without damaging them, I might have to pass. I am hopelessly careless and messy in the kitchen (I chalk it up to enthusiasm)....and I like to cook like Toliver and lift the pan from time to time.

Hmmmm, Octaveman, you are pretty committed and open about your conversion to thick CI, though, it's convincing.

I'll read up and shop around and let y'all know what ends up happening.

Thank you!

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

My pleasure. Forgot to add too that most if not all electric stove burners cycle on and off. That means your carbon steel or thin CI wok will also cycle through with the same temp changes. A thick CI wok will stay hot through those cycles. Another "pro" to a thick CI wok with a less-than-ideal electric stove. Just something to consider.

Either the carbon or thin CI wok will do a fine job with beef really being the only issue. Yes, let us know what you decide. Actually, at $13 for the Texsport, why not try both? The Texsport has the long handle that makes it easy for grabbing and lifting versus, say, the Lodge that only has the two squared handles.

Anyway, glad it helped.

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

I found a great wok at one of the many restaurant supply stores on the bowery in NYC. They had the regular spun steel ones for about $12, but I fell for the hand-hammered ones that went for $17. They're beautiful ... you can see the grain pattern from the wood mold on the outside, and they're smooth on the inside. The metal is actually a bit thicker at the bottom than at the top, so it tends to balance, like a weebil. It seems like the same carbon steel as the machine made ones.

Only caveat is that I thought i was getting a small one, suitable for my home stove. It only looked small because it was sitting next to piles of umbrella-sized and jacuzzi-sized commercial woks. The one I brought home must be 18" across. It does fit on the stove (barely), but I don't have a fraction of the BTUs I'd need to cook with the thing at full capacity. So I have to cook much smaller batches than it's designed to handle.

Next time I shop at one of those places I'm bringing a ruler.

Notes from the underbelly

My favorite, OF ALL TIME, (and I am 61 years old and have been stir-frying for thirty years) is the electric wok by Cuisinart. It IS non-stick, and I don't care if it start to flake in the future because I know my chemistry. It hasn't begun to flake yet after a year, and I don't expect it to. I use wooden tools exclusively. It plugs into a dedicated outlet, it heats stupendously quickly, and I LOVE it! I gort mine from Amazon.

Ray

Don't go with stainless.  Don't go with non-stick.  Don't go with copper.  Why?  Because none of them can be seasoned producing ideal stir-fry. 

Forgive me for going off-topic, but I'm curious if it's actually impossible to season stainless steel, or whether it can be done but people don't because A) it's unnecessary to prevent rust and/or B) it spoils the pretty finish.

In my experience, grease certainly can be burned onto stainless in a manner that's extremely hard to remove without badass solvents. If grease were intentionally burned onto a stainless pan in a uniform manner, would this not function similarly to the seasoning on a carbon steel or cast iron pan?

Edited by phatj (log)

Don't go with stainless.  Don't go with non-stick.  Don't go with copper.  Why?  Because none of them can be seasoned producing ideal stir-fry. 

Forgive me for going off-topic, but I'm curious if it's actually impossible to season stainless steel, or whether it can be done but people don't because A) it's unnecessary to prevent rust and/or B) it spoils the pretty finish.

In my experience, grease certainly can be burned onto stainless in a manner that's extremely hard to remove without badass solvents. If grease were intentionally burned onto a stainless pan in a uniform manner, would this not function similarly to the seasoning on a carbon steel or cast iron pan?

It might work a little, but stainless is a lot less porous than carbon steel, so I'd think the seasoning would be more fragile. Also, stainless is a lousy conductor compared with carbon steel.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

Yes this is the exactly same reason I am going for thick cast iron. However...

The one that lodge sells is very expensive (around 70 bucks). And it weighs about 11 lbs (or 14 lbs, I forgot). The thing is massive.

What mainly attracted me to it was the heat retention, and the fact that the outside has a flat bottom and the inside is rounded. I have been waiting for a long long time to save up money to buy this thing.

But now Octaveman is offering one that is lighter AND cheaper. Well, first off, why is the lodge wok so much more expensive? I want to know if Lodge performs any better with its price before buying it. I am always skeptical about huge price differences when the products could just end up being the same.

Now I saw a different model of a lodge cast iron wok that actually has a handle, and weighs less. I forgot how much it cost, but I'll try to find it.

I wish I could line up all the cast iron woks and see how they performed and how they compared in value. I would buy the lodge pro logic in a heart beat, but I just don't have that kind of money floating around (I'm very poor, lol).

Anybody know of some good quality, heavy, cheap cast iron woks? Preferrably I like 14 inch.

Edited by takadi (log)

You won't find a 14" thick CI for cheap. The Lodge with the two loop handles is the only one in this size. There is a super cheap thick CI wok under the brand name of Texsport but it's only 12". They have a long handle on one end. I acutally had this one but for me it was too small so I gave it to a friend. Great little wok though.

The one that is lighter and cheaper is NOT rounded on the inside. It is flat and will not retain heat on an electric stove when food is added. It performs exactly like a carbon steel wok.

HERE is the lodge for $51. HERE is the Texsport for $12.97 and is where I got mine. The level of finish on the texsport is very basic and rough. The level of finishing on the Lodge is very nice and much smoother than the Texsport. This in addition to the size is probably what makes the price difference.

I've owned both and I can say the Lodge is worth the money. It will outlast you so I'd suggest start saving up. Keep an eye out on ebay too. The Texsport is also sold there through various sellers. I got my Texsport wok shipped for about $6.

It took a few minutes longer for the wok to get up to temp over the other wok I have but I am a convert to the point that I don't think I'll ever go back to thin carbon steel or thin cast iron.  Even if I had a gas stove.  Yes, the thick cast iron wok is less responsive to heat changes but all you have to do is modify your cooking style a little to accomodate the inherant properties of cooking with it.

Oh, another thing.  This thick cast iron wok is round on the inside but has a flat surface that comes into contact with the stove.  It has the benefits of a round bottomed wok and can be used without a wok ring and on an electric stove. 

One trick that I learned from a Ming Tsai PBS show is to toss that CI wok in a 500 degree oven while you're prepping your food. Then pull it out onto a burner on high when you're ready to begin cooking.

This is the only way I've found with an electric stove to really get that seared on flavor that makes stir fry so darn good. You can use the whole surface of the wok instead of just a little portion at the bottom.

visit my food blog: beurremonte.blogspot.com