• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Susan Burgess (Susan in FL) Steps Down

Chris Amirault

As we just announced here, Susan Burgess (Susan in FL) is stepping down from her role as an eGullet Society volunteer. Her tenure included stints as a host in Florida and in Beer, and she was the foodblog czarina for a good long while. Susan will continue to participate as a member and will carry the emeritus staff designation, but we'd like to take this opportunity to thank her for this service.

Please use this topic for food-related reminiscences about Susan's tenure. For personal notes of thanks, please use the personal messenger system.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I just want to say that Susan did a great job, picking wonderful bloggers for the eGullet foodblog, and it was a pleasure to work with her when we were both on staff and to continue to make suggestions and communicate with her when I was no longer on staff. The foodblog achieved a new level of sustained excellence under Susan's stewardship, and this can be maintained and built upon by those who fill her shoes.

Susan also has posted a lot of great photos of meals in the Dinner thread, and I always enjoyed the views of and from the dinner table on the patio.

Michael aka "Pan"

Susan was especially encouraging to me when I did my first food blog last June/July. It felt great to have a "friend" looking over my shoulder as I learned how to post pix, reply to other posts, and all the other computer related stuff that comes so-unnaturally to me. Thank you again, Susan!

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Susan was the first to PM me and welcome me to eGullet when I joined, and her kindness then was exemplary for how she presented herself on all the forums.

I know she wasn't officially the host of the Dinner!thread, but for a long time it felt like she was, with her beautiful pictures on every page of that thread. She inspired me more than once, and we inspired eachother (together with Megan Blocker in New York) to all make puff pastry for the first time.

She did a great job with the foodblogs and I am sorry that neither of the 2 blogs I did, was organized by her.

Good luck with everything Susan!

I am really sorry to see Susan step down, just like I am sorry to see all of the other managers that have stepped down.

Susan did a great job and convinced me to still do my blog during a difficult time in Israel. I was always drooling over her Dinner photos.

Thanks Susan for all of your hard work. You should have been thanked weeks ago.

Susan was wonderfully supportive when I did the foodblog, even though she was clearly squeezing in her administrative duties between life’s other demands. For purely selfish reasons, I hope that Susan can find the time to once again brighten the pages of eGullet with her elegant meals.

Wow, thanks everyone,

I just discovered this topic last night, and wanted to let you know I appreciate it. Your kind words made me feel good, and made me want to somehow find time to sign on to the eG forums more often! I'm adjusting to my "new" -- not so new anymore, but it takes time settling into a different lifestyle than the one to which I was accustomed -- full-time work schedule that was the reason I had to step down. This work schedule and lifestyle has forced some changes into the way I cook and eat; and when I am lurking, my attention is drawn to some different subjects, such as quicker and easier meals, more budget-conscious food shopping, and cooking for one. Hopefully I will do more posting, including that beloved "Dinner thread."

I loved hosting and I dearly miss it all, but I especially miss having a part in the making of the awesome eG Foodblogs.

Hoping to see more of you, and again with thanks,

Susan

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, you and your gorgeous meals were absolutely a draw for me to join eGullet. Your cooking and photography are inspiring, creative and crisp. I wish you all the best with all the new changes in your life.

Susan although I do not post as much as many as these folks - I am always lurking the dinner thread (and the cheese thread....mmm), and I just LOVED all of your meals....I am sort of a newbie in the cooking arena (I am only 25) but I love learning from folks like you. I started off as someone who had a natural nack at cooking (everyone likes my food, I love that) but due to you (and many others) I have grown into a more versed, knowledgeable food condisore/cook.

Thanks, thanks thanks a thousand times. You are quite the cook and I hope to someday we as good as you!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

This work schedule and lifestyle has forced some changes into the way I cook and eat; and when I am lurking, my attention is drawn to some different subjects, such as quicker and easier meals, more budget-conscious food shopping, and cooking for one.  Hopefully I will do more posting, including that beloved "Dinner thread." 

I loved hosting and I dearly miss it all, but I especially miss having a part in the making of the awesome eG Foodblogs.

Hoping to see more of you, and again with thanks,

Susan

"Budget-conscious food shopping" is something I've harped on occasionally here. I don't know whether I've been at all helpful in providing tips there, but I hope that when I have ventured off into this territory and you've been listening in, I've offered something useful to you.

Some of the topics you raise in this post, IMO, are subjects that very much deserve full discussion on eG. Not everyone will be able to prepare the kinds of dishes we often see on the "Dinner!" thread in the time they have to cook. (I'm currently reading a book I got from Pontormo about cookbooks as agents of social change; it includes a chapter that argues that convenience foods were actually agents of women's liberation -- and it's an argument I understand.) I hope that the extra time you now have will allow you to raise them in the appropriate forums.

Best of luck, and see you on the boards.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I would like to add my thanks to Susan for inviting me to do my first ever blog and guiding me through it. She was wonderful! Helpful with clear and concise instructions in what to do. I must confess, I would have never have gone through with it without her helpful guidance and encouragement. Looking at her food posts and pics have set a milestone for which was my basis for culinary perfection. She is a treasure for us all here in eGullet. Thank you again Susan.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos