• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Caramel Syrup Failure

I attempted to make Vietnamese caramel syrup (for use in savory dishes) from a recipe in a Vietnamese cookbook, and it was a total disaster. Hopefully someone can explain what happened and how to do it right.

The recipe says to put 1/4 cup of water and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil without stirring over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is a deep brown and the bubbles become sluggish.

Well, after 10-15 minutes the mixture was nowhere near brown. Maybe a slight golden tinge, but no more. So I kept simmering. After maybe 20 minutes, small clumps of crystals began to form, and at 25 minutes, the entire bubbling surface of the mixture was covered with crystallized clumps (still nowhere near a caramel brown color).

I figured I should just procede with the recipe as instructed, removing the pan from the heat and slowly pouring in 1/4 cup hot water, then returning to the heat and stirring constantly over med-high heat until the caramel is dissolved.

That's what the recipe said, anyway. I whisked for a few minutes as the mixture thickened up considerably, although the clumps of crystals never really fully dissolved. After five minutes or so, I added one teaspoon lemon juice (as instructed by the recipe) and took the pan off the heat to cool.

Within a couple minutes, the entire mixture had seized up into a rock-hard block in the bottom of the saucepan that I had to pry out using a metal spatula as a chisel.

Any ideas on what happened and how to do it right next time?

Without something to get in between the sugar crystals, they will form no matter what and your syrup will crystallize. I would add the lemon juice first, with the water, and keep a close watch on it; that should help.

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

Any ideas on what happened and how to do it right next time?

I had a similar experience, described here (click) (scroll past the picture of caramel chicken). I will leave it to the sugar experts to explain why this happens (or if you like I could make up something that sounds fairly plausible :wink: ).

It may not be "right", but I prefer to start with dry sugar when making caramel. Dissolving the sugar in water before evaporating all of the water seems overly complicated; perhaps it is necessary if you want to make a very light caramel.

And do be careful when adding water to hot caramel.

what in the world makes that a vietnamese caramel?

i guess its called that because it is done wrong :laugh::laugh::laugh: . Sorry.

All the advice already given will set you fine, just remember, any clumps and its all over.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

what in the world makes that a vietnamese caramel?

i guess its called that because it is done wrong  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .  Sorry.

All the advice already given will set you fine, just remember, any clumps and its all over.

It's the method given in a Vietnamese cookbook for use in savory dishes. I'm don't really have any experience with caramel-making, but I suppose there isn't really a difference. You'll have to pardon my ignorance. I'm going to try again tonight -- I'm going to try make sure that there are no sugar granules stuck to the side before I start, and I'll add a tablespoon of honey or corn syrup. Wish me luck!

Dont turn the heat down. Keep it on high till you get your desired color then add flavoring ingiedients. I've made caramels a million times..sometimes it will crystalize on you...just throw it out and start again. And yes..cornsyrup will help. What are you adding to the caramel for flavorings?