• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Many Discs In A 1lb. Bag Of CK Candy Melts?

Lesa D.

Hey, guys, I am about to make roses out of (pink) white chocolate modeling paste to decorate a real strawberry cake that doesn't use the jello word anywhere in the in the ingredient list.

The modeling paste recipe calls for 7oz. of white chocolate, but in this case, I'm using CK candy melts because I know in this case, , chances are, no one is going to eat them. ( CK candy melts are okay, but, let's face it, they don't really taste like white chocolate ).

I have counted 221 dics in a 1lb. bag, so you may as well say 220 with one left over, or eat it, or give it to your beagle as I did. If you divide 220 pieces by 16 0z., it equals 13.75, or 13 3/4 pieces per ounce. I was tempted to just use 14 pieces per ounce, but times seven it adds up. For just one ounce I would have used just 14 pieces. Anyway, for 7oz. you get 96.25, or 96 1/4 pieces. For reference, if you want eight ounces, it's right at 110 pieces. I'm going to use 96 pieces and forget the 1/4 piece. Any questions? Pop quiz on wednesday! :raz:

Hey, guys, I am about to make roses out of (pink) white chocolate modeling paste to decorate a real strawberry cake that doesn't use the jello word anywhere in the in the ingredient list. 

The modeling paste recipe calls for 7oz. of white chocolate,  but in this case, I'm using  CK candy melts because I know in this case, , chances are, no one is  going to  eat them. ( CK candy melts are okay, but, let's face it, they don't really taste like white chocolate ). 

I have counted  221 dics in a 1lb. bag, so you may as well say 220 with one left over, or eat it, or give it to your beagle as I did.  If you divide 220 pieces by 16 0z., it equals 13.75, or 13 3/4 pieces per ounce. I was tempted to just use 14 pieces per ounce, but times seven it adds up. For just one ounce I would have used just 14 pieces.  Anyway, for 7oz. you get 96.25, or 96 1/4  pieces.  For reference, if you want eight ounces,  it's right at 110 pieces.  I'm going to use 96 pieces and forget the 1/4 piece.  Any questions?  Pop quiz on wednesday! :raz:

Ohmygod! My husband just recounted, and I have to amend everything I just said! Hold on while I recalculate! :wub: This is important stuff for us candy melts users.

I am so sorry for the false calculations! :wub: When my husband John recounted the candy melts, he got 241 pieces for a 1lb. bag, and he's right! Let me make amends: one ounce is really 15.06 pieces. So, for 7 oz. for the modeling paste recipe, you would need 105.42 pieces-let's say 106, and for eight ounces it's 120.50, or 120 and 1/2 pieces. Shew! Sorry guys. I'll be more careful next time :wacko:

I am so sorry for the false calculations! :wub:  When my husband John recounted the candy melts, he got 241 pieces for a 1lb. bag, and he's right!  Let me make amends:  one ounce is really 15.06 pieces. So, for 7 oz. for the modeling paste recipe, you would need 105.42 pieces-let's say 106, and for eight ounces it's 120.50,  or 120 and 1/2 pieces.  Shew!  Sorry guys.  I'll be more careful next time :wacko:

Or, for 7 oz, it's close enough to half a pound that if you had a 1lb. bag, just divide it in half... :-)?

Karen Dar Woon

Can you tell that I have Obsessive Compulsive disorder? No, really, I do... I need to remeber what Nick logde always told us in our gum paste classes: "IT'S ONLY SUGAR!!!!" Check him out as a judge on food network competions. He's reserved on camera, but in real life, he's a sweetheart. He and Scott treat his students like royalty. Speaking of royalty, he made one of Lady Di's wedding cakes.