• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Esquire Drinks Database

thirtyoneknots

The Esquire Drinks Database appears to be down the past few days. Hopefully this is just temporary, it's one of my favorite online resources and a great companion to the Esquire Drinks book. Mr. Wondrich, or anybody else know anything about this?

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The Esquire Drinks Database appears to be down the past few days. Hopefully this is just temporary, it's one of my favorite online resources and a great companion to the Esquire Drinks book. Mr. Wondrich, or anybody else know anything about this?

-Andy

The powers that be inform me that it is merely on hiatus, until its functionality can be integrated with the Esquire.com's new platform (or something like that--I kinda stopped paying attention after "functionality").

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

• 2 months later...
Still seems to be down.  Any news, Dave?

Kurt

It will be back up a little later this year, with greatly expanded "functionality" (that's the word the web folks used; I nodded my head and smiled as if I understood it). Should be cool, though.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

It will be back up a little later this year, with greatly expanded "functionality" (that's the word the web folks used; I nodded my head and smiled as if I understood it). Should be cool, though.

Ack. I might have guessed that a couple-three months wasn't sufficient time for "platform integration" and "expanded functionality".

Thanks for the update.

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Translation:  "We're having a hard time converting over the data from our Pascal-formatted reel-to-reel tape drives."

Well, ok, I kid. But they really do want to turn it into something great. It was pretty creaky in its old format, having grown form a quick what-do-I-mix site to an archive of cocktail lore, and they want to show it off.

aka David Wondrich

Translation:  "We're having a hard time converting over the data from our Pascal-formatted reel-to-reel tape drives."

Well, ok, I kid. But they really do want to turn it into something great. It was pretty creaky in its old format, having grown form a quick what-do-I-mix site to an archive of cocktail lore, and they want to show it off.

That should be wonderful, shame they had to take the old version offline while updating it though :(

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 3 months later...

That should be wonderful, shame they had to take the old version offline while updating it though :(

I still don't see this up on the regular site -- could just be buried -- but it's prominently featured on the Esquire mobile site (which is also available through a desktop browser), specifically here: http://m.esquire.com/item.jsp?key=dd_we&start=0

Not quite as full-featured or content-complete as the original, but at least it has the recipes. Has the added advantage of being quite fast, since it's intended for low-bandwidth mobile phones.

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks

• 3 months later...

It's ba-a-a-a-a-ck!

Esquire's Drinks Database

Full illustrations on their way, along with videos, comments, blogging and all the other ups and extras of the web as we have come to know it.

Oh, and the various--me paenet dicendi--historical and mixological inaccuracies that it contains (it was, after all, written between January, 2000 and January, 2003) will be ironed out over time. Most of 'em, anyway.

Functionality? Excellent.

Edited to correct the usual sloppy typing.

Edited by Splificator (log)

aka David Wondrich

It's ba-a-a-a-a-ck!

Esquire's Drinks Database

Just re-discovered it the other night, and have been merrily sending the link along to all my dipsomaniac friends. Thanks for the early birthday present! (It's Sunday, by the way, which I only mention just in case someone has an extra copy of Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks laying around).

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham