• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Kansas City

moosnsqrl

Since we usually find ourselves on one coast or another with some regularity, we've not eaten sushi in KC on any regular basis for years. So I'm asking for some fresh information.

Our old standby when we DID partake regularly was Jun's and that is still a sentimental favorite, so I would be particularly interested in any recent visits there.

I recall UE extolling the virtues of somewhere in the rather extreme SErn quadrant of the metro but that's geographically less desirable than something on the Kansas City or mid/downtown.

I know Nara has some sushi but seems to be more about the scene.

The SO's favorite is uni so bonus points for anywhere that does a brisk business in it.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to uni, because I've never ordered it. There's a japanese place on Westport road, and I can't remember the name of it, but it's right next to Papa Keno's and Jerusalem Cafe. The sushi there was pretty good in my opinion. Take that with a grain of salt, as I've never eaten sushi on either coast.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Since we usually find ourselves on one coast or another with some regularity, we've not eaten sushi in KC on any regular basis for years.  So I'm asking for some fresh information.

Our old standby when we DID partake regularly was Jun's and that is still a sentimental favorite, so I would be particularly interested in any recent visits there.

For some reason, I've never been smitten by the Jun's bug... everyone seems to fawn, I yawn.
I recall UE extolling the virtues of somewhere in the rather extreme SErn quadrant of the metro but that's geographically less desirable than something on the Kansas City or mid/downtown.
You remember correctly. Kobe Steakhouse is situated clear on the other side of town from you - you couldn't go farther... but it's closer than either coast. :wink:
I know Nara has some sushi but seems to be more about the scene.
Bingo. Side-note: ordering sashimi is acceptable. Ordering one of their "hot rolls" is criminal - unless you like warm cream cheese and gobs of various chile-infused aiolis slathered across your sushi...
The SO's favorite is uni so bonus points for anywhere that does a brisk business in it.
S.O. and I are of the same... unfortunately, have found very rare instances of acceptable uni, Kobe being the only recent memorably decent experience.

My next venture will be to Kaiyo down at 119th and Roe. From all reports, it's truly a quality sushi restaurant. I think chicagowench has been. Wench?

Edited: to enable quotes.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Well, we went to Jun's last Wednesday for the SO's bday. It was not the Jun's of yore - the service was less-refined and more-hurried and the other patrons at the sushi bar were not on a par with those of old, either. Sigh. But we did miss the worst of the storms and the food wasn't horrible - just not remarkable. Oh and, although uni was on the whiteboard, by the time SO was ready to order it "for dessert," it was still on the board but he was told they had just sold the final portion but we could "come back tomorrow and we will have some fresh." Kind of a downer, like if your birthday cake isn't ready on the day of.

I kept thinking how much I would rather be at Cafe Beautiful where life is, well, beautiful.

Next time.

The place on Westport Rd - I've had mixed results. I wouldn't order "serious" sushi there but have had really reliable basics and their seaweed salad is really nice, as is the bonito crusted tofu steak. Plus I have always encountered really nice folks there, so it's not off the radar - just not an occasion place. Sadly, neither is Jun's any longer, IMHO.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, we went to Jun's last Wednesday for the SO's bday.  It was not the Jun's of yore - the service was less-refined and more-hurried and the other patrons at the sushi bar were not on a par with those of old, either.  Sigh.  But we did miss the worst of the storms and the food wasn't horrible - just not remarkable.  Oh and, although uni was on the whiteboard, by the time SO was ready to order it "for dessert," it was still on the board but he was told they had just sold the final portion but we could "come back tomorrow and we will have some fresh."  Kind of a downer, like if your birthday cake isn't ready on the day of.

I kept thinking how much I would rather be at Cafe Beautiful where life is, well, beautiful.

Next time.

The place on Westport Rd - I've had mixed results.  I wouldn't order "serious" sushi there but have had really reliable basics and their seaweed salad is really nice, as is the bonito crusted tofu steak. Plus I have always encountered really nice folks there, so it's not off the radar - just not an occasion place.  Sadly, neither is Jun's any longer, IMHO.

Clearly, I missed those "days of yore" at Jun's... you pretty much described every one of my half-dozen visits there over the past three years... sorry it was such a bummer on your SO's birthday. :sad:

Next time you find an occasion to be out in Independence, try Kobe Steakhouse (goes without saying - run, don't walk, past the CROWDED steakhouse portion and head toward the EMPTY and wonderful sushi bar.

Also, I need to visit Kaiyo, so I'll report when I do.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The one time I went to Jun's, it was okay, nothing special. The service at the sushi bar was okay. The menu and the rolls and the nigiri were nice, but ordinary.

I did ask about uni but they were out the night I was there. Too bad, because I love uni. THe next time I am in town, I will have to check out u.e.'s recommendation. Then I will have to find the place, I have only been over in that part of the city once. I am thinking about going up in a couple of weeks or so.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm here I'm here, sorry sorry. My foodie senses were tingling when I was trapped in a heinous black tie gala dinner; I thought it was my horror at the overcooked filet, no no, it was me being called to duty here.

Kaiyo, in a word, rules. Their fish is astonishingly fresh (particularly for, well. The middle of the country), and their more creative rolls are flavorful and clean- not a muddled mix of flavors like so many wind up being. I'm not of the uni persuasion, but my best friend is, and she adores theirs. Service is brisk and friendly, and the ambiance is relatively quiet and convivial. So far we've concentrated on sushi and a few appetizers (as well as the Kushi Age, which is light, crispy, and just plain great), but once we explore more of the menu I'll report back.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Can't compare anything to Kaiyo as I haven't tried it yet, but we've been happy with Domo down in Brookside (where the old Einstein Bros. Bagels was).

The sushi bar has a couple of patient and creative chefs who will work with you to find new things to try... last time we were there, I was introduced to monkfish (I didn't know it was the liver, though... I'm not a big fan of the mineral-y flavors, but I'm glad I tried it). They also are great with special needs (I've got a vegetarian and a vegan amongst my offspring).

I might be a bit biased in that it's in walking distance, but so far we've been very happy each time we've visited. The place is very pretty, with a lovely mural along the south wall, and boast the coolest bathrooms I've seen in a long time. The service has been wonderful too.

Can't seem to find a website, else I'd ring 'em up and ask about the uni. But one nice thing is that they're open most nights until 10pm, and they never rush you out... it's one of our favorite after-movie spots.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

• 6 months later...
I'm here I'm here, sorry sorry.  My foodie senses were tingling when I was trapped in a heinous black tie gala dinner; I thought it was my horror at the overcooked filet, no no, it was me being called to duty here.

Kaiyo, in a word, rules.  Their fish is astonishingly fresh (particularly for, well. The middle of the country), and their more creative rolls are flavorful and clean- not a muddled mix of flavors like so many wind up being.  I'm not of the uni persuasion, but my best friend is, and she adores theirs.  Service is brisk and friendly, and the ambiance is relatively quiet and convivial.  So far we've concentrated on sushi and a few appetizers (as well as the Kushi Age, which is light, crispy, and just plain great), but once we explore more of the menu I'll report back.

Reviving this one. I have a friend looking for good sushi in KC. Is Kaiyo still in biz? If so, can someone tell me where its at? Any other recomendations?

Thanks,

Mike

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Yes, they are, and they've only gotten better.

And why, I ask myself, haven't I gone yet?

u.e. what is wrong? You haven't been to Kaiyo and you haven't been to Justus Drugstore yet. I depend on your words to know where I am going on my next trip up to KC (both K and MO). And that is coming soon, like in the next two weeks. I need to know, sushi or Smithville.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

u.e. what is wrong? You haven't been to Kaiyo and you haven't been to Justus Drugstore yet. I depend on your words to know where I am going on my next trip up to KC (both K and MO). And that is coming soon, like in the next two weeks. I need to know, sushi or Smithville.

Alas and alack, I've been playing in New York a little too much. Ate my weight in sushi and other things... I will try my best to get to Kaiyo/Justus Drugstore in the near future... no promises.

Have you been to Michael Smith or Krause's (in Lawrence)? I've been to both, and I think that either/both might be worth your while.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Because you fear my corner of Joco?

You said it, not me. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Alas and alack, I've been playing in New York a little too much. Ate my weight in sushi and other things... I will try my best to get to Kaiyo/Justus Drugstore in the near future... no promises.

Have you been to Michael Smith or Krause's (in Lawrence)? I've been to both, and I think that either/both might be worth your while.

So if I want to take NO-EYED UMA out for a bit a nosh, should I take her to Kaiyo?

Has anyone eaten at Cafe Beautiful yet?

I thought I had posted about my dinner at Cafe Beautiful, but I guess I did it on another forum.

You can see and read about my dinner there a few months ago by clicking here.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Has anyone been to Friends Sushi on 39th street?

It's sort of my neighborhood standby, and I've mostly only gone for weekday lunches - not special occassions or blow-out feasts, but I've always enjoyed it. The chef/owner is a veteran of the Sushi House out south near 40 sardines, and the menu is similar. Standard sushi offerings, but consistent quality fish and well-prepared rice. Beyond sushi, the bento lunch is a really good value and lets you taste a variety of their dishes.

As for uni (my favorite end to a sushi meal), they don't always have it. When they do its been of good quality and presented in a straight-forward manner.

Overall, nothing mind-blowing, but a nice spot in a good location. Service is friendly and the quality/price ratio is good. Also, they opened without a liqour liscence, but that has thankfully been taken care of.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

It's sort of my neighborhood standby, and I've mostly only gone for weekday lunches - not special occassions or blow-out feasts, but I've always enjoyed it.  The chef/owner is a veteran of the Sushi House out south near 40 sardines, and the menu is similar.  Standard sushi offerings, but consistent quality fish and well-prepared rice.  Beyond sushi, the bento lunch is a really good value and lets you taste a variety of their dishes.

As for uni (my favorite end to a sushi meal), they don't always have it.  When they do its been of good quality and presented in a straight-forward manner.

Overall, nothing mind-blowing, but a nice spot in a good location.  Service is friendly and the quality/price ratio is good.  Also, they opened without a liqour liscence, but that has thankfully been taken care of.

I'm glad you brought it up. It was on my list for a while and I never made it and just kinda forgot about it. Another point in the case for moving to Vista Condos - thank you for coming out of lurking to assist.

M.F.K. Fisher

It's sort of my neighborhood standby, and I've mostly only gone for weekday lunches - not special occassions or blow-out feasts, but I've always enjoyed it.  The chef/owner is a veteran of the Sushi House out south near 40 sardines, and the menu is similar.  Standard sushi offerings, but consistent quality fish and well-prepared rice.  Beyond sushi, the bento lunch is a really good value and lets you taste a variety of their dishes.

As for uni (my favorite end to a sushi meal), they don't always have it.  When they do its been of good quality and presented in a straight-forward manner.

Overall, nothing mind-blowing, but a nice spot in a good location.  Service is friendly and the quality/price ratio is good.  Also, they opened without a liqour liscence, but that has thankfully been taken care of.

Alas and alack, I haven't been either.

I am an uni devotee, and I do like it "a la straightforward." I will have to check this place out soon. Do they have a good selection of sake?

Have you been to Domo? I'd be interested to hear what you think of their sushi.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Because I live a few short blocks from Friends we've been there several times. I have to say, while we enjoy it, it is VERY low key. Everything taste quite subtle. The service is great, menu is nice, but the sushi is not exactly knock your socks off, if that's what you're looking for. It's serviceable, affordable and fresh. Exceptional, maybe not, but I'm very glad that Friends is in my neighborhood.

Domo is very nice. We've gone there numerous times. We are really sad they no longer have the 3 -6 happy hour. The sushi has been very fresh and inventive. We love the appetizer menu as well. Service can be odd. It can be very difficult to order more items if sitting at a table because the server may not come back for a long while unless flagged down. We try to just order most everything we want at the beginning and ask them to course it. That can be challenging, but it seems to work.

Because I live a few short blocks from Friends we've been there several times. I have to say, while we enjoy it, it is VERY low key. Everything taste quite subtle. The service is great, menu is nice, but the sushi is not exactly knock your socks off, if that's what you're looking for. It's serviceable, affordable and fresh. Exceptional, maybe not, but I'm very glad that Friends is in my neighborhood.
Is it Japanese-owned, or Chinese/Korean-owned?
Domo is very nice. We've gone there numerous times. We are really sad they no longer have the 3 -6 happy hour. The sushi has been very fresh and inventive.
In what way?
We love the appetizer menu as well.
I agree. I especially love their pickled dishes and seaweed salad (with or without squid/octopus). I could compose a whole meal off of the appetizers.
Service can be odd. It can be very difficult to order more items if sitting at a table because the server may not come back for a long while unless flagged down. We try to just order most everything we want at the beginning and ask them to course it. That can be challenging, but it seems to work.
It's good to know that I'm not alone in this - I've been numerous times for lunch and the service has, well, AWOL after the orders are placed.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

A couple of us have gone way south by Blue Ridge Blvd at "Sushi Haru" which I've had the best sushi out of anywhere I've been to in Kansas City. All three visits have been at lunch time as well.

Try the Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna (Block of warm fried Crispy Sushi Rice with a pile of cold spicy tuna on top - this is probably one of the coolest things I've ever eaten as far as having a combination of textures, temperatures, and flavors)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga