• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spending 2 Days in jaipur

Bond Girl

On my India trip in March, I will have 2 days in Jaipur all by myself. One of my friends has recommended a traditional Rajasthan dinner in some pre-fabricated, franchised village outside Jaipur. it sounds pretty horrid and touristy. Are there any alernatives for getting a taste of real rajasthan? Any advice would be utmost appreciated.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

On my India trip in March, I will have 2 days in Jaipur all by myself. One of my friends has recommended a traditional Rajasthan dinner in some pre-fabricated, franchised village outside Jaipur. it sounds pretty horrid and touristy.  Are there any alernatives for getting a taste of real rajasthan?  Any advice would be utmost appreciated.

It may sound horrid and touristy, but it is actually quite cute and you will get a real taste of Rajasthani flavors in a very pleasant setting. Its not nearly as cheesy as you would imagine. The place is called "Chokhi Dhani".

In the old city near the New Gate at the end of what is called Nehru Bazaar there is a place called Ganesh Restaurant. It is literally in the wall of the old city( a true hole in the wall!). You may have to ask someone if you don't see the sign posted. You have to walk up a little flight stairs. There is no menu- I reccomend trying their Gatte Masala, chickpea flour "dumplings" in a delicious spicy gravy. Thet also make a very nice Missi ki Roti, a spiced chickpea flour flatbread.

Be sure to eat some yogurt to help digest all that chickpea flour!!

A great place to stay is the Umaid Bhavan Guesthouse. They have nice restaurant where you can try some Rajasthani meat dishes like Saafed Maas (meat in a slightly tart white sauce) or Laal Maas (meat in a red sauce).

Have a blast!

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

On my India trip in March, I will have 2 days in Jaipur all by myself. One of my friends has recommended a traditional Rajasthan dinner in some pre-fabricated, franchised village outside Jaipur. it sounds pretty horrid and touristy.  Are there any alernatives for getting a taste of real rajasthan?  Any advice would be utmost appreciated.

It may sound horrid and touristy, but it is actually quite cute and you will get a real taste of Rajasthani flavors in a very pleasant setting. Its not nearly as cheesy as you would imagine. The place is called "Chokhi Dhani".

In the old city near the New Gate at the end of what is called Nehru Bazaar there is a place called Ganesh Restaurant. It is literally in the wall of the old city( a true hole in the wall!). You may have to ask someone if you don't see the sign posted. You have to walk up a little flight stairs. There is no menu- I reccomend trying their Gatte Masala, chickpea flour "dumplings" in a delicious spicy gravy. Thet also make a very nice Missi ki Roti, a spiced chickpea flour flatbread.

Be sure to eat some yogurt to help digest all that chickpea flour!!

A great place to stay is the Umaid Bhavan Guesthouse. They have nice restaurant where you can try some Rajasthani meat dishes like Saafed Maas (meat in a slightly tart white sauce) or Laal Maas (meat in a red sauce).

Thank you so much.

Have a blast!

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I agree with what Edward said.

Sorry for the delay in replying, It's been some time I dug around for places to eat authentic food in Jaipur. From what I can remember and after cross checking with my friends there:

Jai Ambe next to sindhi camp

Sharma Dhaba near Viswhakarma Industrial estate on the Bikaner road

Rawat Sweets near Polo Victory cinema

Ask around for directions. Have fun.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Did some research into Rajasthani cookery, it's very meat based.. Would a vegetarian like me have a problem?

You will have no problem at all. Most of the food you encounter will be lacto-vegetarian. There will be plenty of variety, too. Be sure and try some of the delicious sweets.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Did some research into Rajasthani cookery, it's very meat based.. Would a vegetarian like me have a problem?

You will have no problem at all. Most of the food you encounter will be lacto-vegetarian. There will be plenty of variety, too. Be sure and try some of the delicious sweets.

What Edward said is right.

The meat-ness is very caste-based.

The Kshatriya (warrior) groups eat more meat, to

promote warlike energy.

Other groups are typically vegetarian.

Also, other important local religions (e.g. Jain) have taken vegetarian philosophy

to a fine art.....

And meat is a luxury so you're not likely to be slipped

some unless you specifically ask for it.....

And the great thing is that in India people really understand

being vegetarian so you never have to worry about being

offered fish, or deal with hidden ingredients (e.g. stock etc.)!

Eggs are considered non-vegetarian, though dairy is a big

part of the vegetarian diet.

Most "strict" vegetarian food will not include onions or garlic

because these are associated with Rajasic energy (see

the Kshatriya comment above); and I think very strict

Jain food will not include root veggies as this involves

destroying the plant and inadvertently killing the insect

life associated with it....

Just say you are "vegetarian" and if you eat dairy products

you will have absolutely no problem.

The food is extra delicious.

If you want to avoid dairy, you will have some communicating

to do, but say "vegetarian" and say " please no milk products,

no ghee, no dahi, no cream, no milk"....

People do respect these views unlike the bafflement you

get in other places.

It's been decades since I was in Jaipur but back when

I was there, Lakshmi Misthan Bhandar (=Lakshmi Sweet House

aka LMB)

had great desserts and snacks (light meals).

They have a deep fried milk concoction called "ghevar"

that will clog your arteries but transport you to heaven

before you die......

Rajasthan specialty.......

Milagai

Thank you both. I will post pictures when I come back.

Hope you have a great time! I also meant to mention the "ghevar". There is a specific local one made with paneer. You can't miss it- it looks like a giant carmelized honeycomb bowl. It made me cry...really :biggrin:

Here is a photo I took of the Paneer Ghewar from the very sweet shop that is mentioned by Milagai in the above post.

gallery_15377_363_2249.jpg

If you have the chance, ask around to have a meal called "Dal-Baati, Churma"

It is sort of the quintessential Rajasthani vegetarian meal.

It is a vibrantly seasoned dal stew served with dense, clarified butter laden bread balls. Some of these bread ball are crushed and mixed with more butter and sugar to make what is called "churma".

So, where else are you going?

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Edward, your picture just made me very hungry...My journey starts in Delhi, where I will attempt to find a street food called Daulat Ki Chaat-something the great Gautam has told me about, along with other great stuff. Then I go to Agra, don't know where I'll eat there, but since I'll only be there for one night I guess the Oberoi will do. Jaipur is next. Afterwards, I go to Goa then Mumbai.