• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking class for 10 adults b-day party...

Chef Bradley

I've been asked to teach about 10 adults (one of them is having a bday that day) the basics of cooking techniques while making it fun. I'd like to take the "basics of cooking" class approach to another level. Perhaps a theme (tapas, pizza, etc.) while teaching basic knife cuts, etc.

I've taught many cooking classes for children, but never for adults.

It would need to be interactive, fun and fairly inexpensive. Easy to clean up and very memorable.

Thanks in advance :)

I would reccomend some basic items that they obviously can cook at home but using techniques that would be transferable to other recipes.

Like, how to grill a steak, how to roast a chicken, etc. Basic pasta sauces (red, white, pesto), how to blanch/saute vegetables, etc.

Nothing to complicated but things that would noticeably improve the home cooking.

Brining? Marinating? etc...

Good luck.

Start with a nice crostini to shut up the guests, get a risotto going, pan sear a protien, roast a veggie and make a great salad with homemade dressing.

pair it all with some wine and then maybe a nice boozy parfait with real whipped cream for the birthday girl.

I have thought about making a career of this

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Start with a nice crostini to shut up the guests, get a risotto going, pan sear a protien, roast a veggie and make a great salad with homemade dressing.

pair it all with some wine and then maybe a nice boozy parfait with real whipped cream for the birthday girl.

I have thought about making a career of this

tracey

i have made a career of it, and your suggestions for a one-time class are spot on, rooftop! (btw, i have a fabulous time doing it--you should try to work it into your life somehow!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook