• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

atlanta restaurants

anina marcus

Now that this post has been moved to the correct forum, we'll need some more details to answer the query.

1. In which part of town will you be staying?

2. Will you have a car?

3. What's your idea of "sensational"?

Can you pee in the ocean?

Here is a link to some guy's opinion on one of Atlanta's best restaurants.  I'm not sure that guy knows what he's talking about, but the thread has pictures of food so it's not all bad.

Restaurant Eugene

The only restaurant I can safely say is in Restaurant Eugene's class is Bacchanalia.

Restaurant Eugene is amazing - one of the best meals I have ever had, anywhere.

It's pricey, though.

I adore Rathbun's

Trois is pretty, but the food is just ok.

What type of dining are you looking for?

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

• 2 months later...

I'm going to be getting into Atlanta on Sunday evening about 8, staying at the Renaissance Downtown. Is One.Midtown.Kitchen open on Sunday night? Is it still notable after Blais's departure? Are there any other suggestions?

It's been two years since I've been in Atlanta, but when I use to go there on business I loved going to Nan Thai Fine Dining. I never expected to find an amazing Thai restaurant in Atlanta!! The more casual restaurant run by the same people is called Tamarind, also great and also in Midtown area.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

In response to mark922's query (and not the original poster's---you might want to consider starting a new thread for this question), Sunday night is far and away the worst night for dining in Atlanta. One Midtown Kitchen is open, and fine (so far as I know the guy that was sous under Blais is still there, and does a fine job).

Trois is another restaurant in that group that does a nice job, and is a bit more upmarket (though prices quite reasonable by Atlanta standards). Dress up a bit.

The Globe is very good, and very convenient to your hotel location.

Restaurant Eugene is excellent, and on Sunday night's offers something called Sunday supper that's three course prix fixe featuring food that's both more traditionally "southern" and less expensive than the usual menu (which is still available).

Woodfire Grill is not as conveniet for you, but very good, using local ingredients (actually all of the restaurant's I'm suggesting emphasize local stuff).

Pura Vida is excellent, with very cool tapas and great mojitos (and wine, but I almost always get a mojito there because I crave the sugarcane used to sweeten it).

The biggest upside to dining out on Sunday night is that you probably won't need to reserve.

Can you pee in the ocean?