• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot banana sauce

there are no asian markets in the town i recently moved to. :shock: my new local grocery store opened with no asian or asian/pacific ingredients available. now they are trying to stock some, a little more each week.

this week i noticed hot banana sauce from the phillipines. confessed ignorance... i have not seen this before. it looks like a typical chili sauce. i'm intrigued. is this considered a general use condiment, or does anyone have suggestions for enjoying this?

tia

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

You're right, Sheena. It's banana ketchup, just like strictly tomato-based ketchup except lighter and sweeter; as you've already noticed, Judith, it comes in regular and hot varieties. Aside from traditional dipping use, it's also an interesting addition to marinades for a lighter, fruitier note and as an accompaniment for grilled meats, particularly chicken and pork.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 4 weeks later...
You're right, Sheena.  It's banana ketchup, just like strictly tomato-based ketchup except lighter and sweeter; as you've already noticed, Judith, it comes in regular and hot varieties.  Aside from traditional dipping use, it's also an interesting addition to marinades for a lighter, fruitier note and as an accompaniment for grilled meats, particularly chicken and pork.

thanks, sheena and mooshmouse. will definitely give this a go.

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ahh I see Mooshmouse has explained it already. It's a great dipping sauce for fried spring rolls and fried chicken. Though I have never used it as a marinade sauce like what MooshM suggested. I wonder what brand you got lovebenton? UFC? Marca Pina? Del Monte?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 2 weeks later...

I hope your adventure paid off :)

Also, it's great with fried fish. fish + banana ketchup + rice = Staple of millions of Filipinos. Tilapia in particular I could never say no to.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 1 month later...
Ahh I see Mooshmouse has explained it already. It's a great dipping sauce for fried spring rolls and fried chicken. Though I have never used it as a marinade sauce like what MooshM suggested. I wonder what brand you got lovebenton? UFC? Marca Pina? Del Monte?

i have the jufran bran. product of phillipines by heinz. really glad i picked this up. thanks to all for info.

I hope your adventure paid off :)

Also, it's great with fried fish. fish + banana ketchup + rice = Staple of millions of Filipinos. Tilapia in particular I could never say no to.

fish was my first adventure. :biggrin: so maybe this is common usage, but i mixed a couple tbsp of the hot banana sauce with juice of one lime, let it set for an hour or so in fridge where it thickened back up. delicious drizzled on fish, which happened to be broiled tilapia filet served with rice. :wub:

Judith Love

• 7 years later...

I know I'm really (really, really) late to this party... but I saw the Jufran hot banana ketchup in our local store and had to try it. We have a growing local Filipino community that's been really good for our only grocery store. Things are beginning to show up that I've never seen here before. I'd never had hot banana ketchup before and that's a shame. So many years I could have been enjoying this stuff. I tried the mild version as well, I'll stick with the hot but it's not bad.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.